Quote of the Day/Week/Month/Year

August1991

Rick Hillier, Newfoundlander, 52.

He also dismissed reports of an angry phone conversation with the prime minister over the government's handling of the Afghan detainee issue, saying his relationship with Harper was "solid and good."

The general said he heard about the reports when he was on vacation in the Dominican Republic with his wife.

"I was on my third rum and Coke and I really didn't give a damn," he said with a chuckle.

CBC

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michelle Obama, American, 44

“I know we’re spending — I added it up for the first time — we spend between the two kids, on extracurriculars outside the classroom, we’re spending about $10,000 a year on piano and dance and sports supplements and so on and so forth,” Mrs. Obama tells the women. “And summer programs. That’s the other huge cost. Barack is saying, ‘Whyyyyyy are we spending that?’ And I’m saying, ‘Do you know what summer camp costs?’”
National Review

Geraldine Ferraro, one-time US Vice-Presidential candidate, 72

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," she continued. "And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept." Ferraro does not buy the notion of Obama as the great reconciler.

"I was reading an article that said young Republicans are out there campaigning for Obama because they believe he's going to be able to put an end to partisanship," Ferraro said, clearly annoyed. "Dear God! Anyone that has worked in the Congress knows that for over 200 years this country has had partisanship - that's the way our country is."

Link

Eliot Spitzer, erstwhile NY Governor, 48

Over the course of my public life I have insisted, I believe correctly, that people, regardless of their position or power, take responsibility for their conduct.

I can and will ask no less of myself.

AP

(He only applied that principle to his own conduct after being discovered and even then, he gave it two days of political consideration before resigning.)

Edited by August1991

Eliot Spitzer, erstwhile NY Governor, 48

AP

(He only applied that principle to his own conduct after being discovered and even then, he gave it two days of political consideration before resigning.)

Now he can be a regular Joe and just worry about the Eliot Spitzers of the world. Hope the door hits him in the ass on the way out. Another do-gooder paves himself a road to hell.

Edited by Pliny

"So, chief, what did you call this place before the European explorers arrived?" the reporter asked.

"Ours," he replied.

-- Anonymous

Complete BS. There was no such concept as land ownership. They would not have called it "ours".

Edited by Pliny

Cyndi Canary, Executive Director of the Illinois Campaign for Political Reform, on Barack Obama as a politician in Illinois:

Obama had little choice as an Illinois politician but to deal with an ethically dubious regime. “You hold your nose and work through the system,” she said.

Yet she also thinks America is being done a disservice by those who portray Obama as somehow above the uglier wheeler-dealing of politics. “He’s a pragmatic politician, and in the end if you think that he’s superman, your heart is going to get broken.”

Times

David Suzuki, Environmental Activist, 72

"I love Kitsilano and Vancouver, but there are too many people and too many cars. I think we can have greater density if we made the city much more hostile to cars. The cars have made our city unattractive, and thus I like to spend more of my time in a smaller place at Quanta [ed, Quadra] Island where we also have a home."
Link

David Suzuki, Environmental Activist, 72Link

Remember that car he gave his young student in the Karate Kid?

It was a 1950 Chevrolet Convertible...man that was great....

Global warming On, left hand, Global Warming Off right hand....

party members need the will to win, rather than the fear to lose.

Dion.....

From the man who has never lost an opportunity to topple the Government to his Quebec party who are concerned about leadership and organization.

The following quote is attributed to Gen Hillier during an interview with Donna Jacobs and published in the Ottawa Citizen Jan 14.

I believe this should be published right up there alongside General Schwarzkopf's,(also known as "Stormin' Norman") statement "Only God can forgive. It is up to me to arrange the meeting"

Gen Hillier's statement has to do with War.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest is a person who thinks nothing is worth fighting and dying for and lets others, better and braver, protect him"

I wonder if I can get that made into a bumper sticker

Debora O'Neil :

I think every Canadian should have a map of Canada in his or her house. It should be displayed in a place where one can sit and contemplate the wonderful vastness of this land. As Canadians we are continuously groping for an identity and a sense of love for our nation. We grapple with the concept, find it somewhat distasteful and leave it for another day. We find American flag waving, hand over heart while belting out Oh, say, can you see... too much and avoid doing the same. We admire their national spirit, but Canadians are, in contrast, understated. To understand the identity that exists in our hearts think of our sweepingly majestic home, its quiet, serene beauty. A beauty recognizable to us all. We are proud of this nation and of who we are. We just don't say it. It's like the map. It just sits there on the wall displaying the lines of our coasts, the bulk of our waterways, and the breadth of our northern territories. Surveying all of this leaves me in awe. It brings a tear to my eye...O Canada...

John Cruickshank :

We Canadians live in a blind spot about our identity. We have very strong feelings about who we aren't but only weak ones about who we are. We're passionate about what we don't want to become but oddly passive about what we should be.

Debora O'Neil :

I think every Canadian should have a map of Canada in his or her house. It should be displayed in a place where one can sit and contemplate the wonderful vastness of this land. As Canadians we are continuously groping for an identity and a sense of love for our nation. We grapple with the concept, find it somewhat distasteful and leave it for another day. We find American flag waving, hand over heart while belting out Oh, say, can you see... too much and avoid doing the same. We admire their national spirit, but Canadians are, in contrast, understated. To understand the identity that exists in our hearts think of our sweepingly majestic home, its quiet, serene beauty. A beauty recognizable to us all. We are proud of this nation and of who we are. We just don't say it. It's like the map. It just sits there on the wall displaying the lines of our coasts, the bulk of our waterways, and the breadth of our northern territories. Surveying all of this leaves me in awe. It brings a tear to my eye...O Canada...

I could do the same with a map of Russia

The following quote is attributed to Gen Hillier during an interview with Donna Jacobs and published in the Ottawa Citizen Jan 14.

I believe this should be published right up there alongside General Schwarzkopf's,(also known as "Stormin' Norman") statement "Only God can forgive. It is up to me to arrange the meeting"

Gen Hillier's statement has to do with War.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The ugliest is a person who thinks nothing is worth fighting and dying for and lets others, better and braver, protect him"

I wonder if I can get that made into a bumper sticker

No, not General Hillier. Instead it is an exact quote of John Stuart Mill ,English economist & philosopher (1806 - 1873).

Quotations page

John Stuart Mill quotes

Perhaps quoted by the General during the interview

Debora O'Neil :

hahahaha. You could stare at a map, or you could just, you know , go outside and experience its beauty first hand.