Quote of the Day/Week/Month/Year

August1991

This is what google translate spits out:

"If you've been treated well so far, then we want to continue to be treated well, although it must be on the safe side."

It does not make much sense. Can you provide a better translation?

I know enough French to "translate" it myself; on the other hand, I came up with about what your google translator did, since my French is pretty poor. :) I don't quite get it, either.

Edited by bloodyminded

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what google translate spits out:

"If you've been treated well so far, then we want to continue to be treated well, although it must be on the safe side."

It does not make much sense. Can you provide a better translation?

Ancienne-Lorette is a suburb of Quebec City.

A better but still literal translation would be: "If we've been well treated until now, and want to be well treated in the future, we should be on the right side."

BTW, Quebec City's airport is in Ancienne-Lorette. Airports are under federal jurisdiction and Harper recently announced a $50 million airport renovation project.

Edited by August1991

Pursuant to August1991's Charlie Sheen quote, "Charlie Sheen, 45, American actor:

"The bigger the lie, the more gullible the public when it comes to swallowing it. Wild. What a boost for poetry, though. T-Shirts. Mugs. Kegs. Key rings."

"
."

- Astronaut Ron, while on a "space-walk" after being told to say hi to his fellow astronauts in the "space-ship," and then to his family "back on earth." Video taken from NASA's archive, "On the Shoulders of Giants."

Edited by Timothy17

Michael Ignatieff, in a 2003 interview, compares himself to Tonto and explains the meaning of "we":

« AR: Vous dites souvent «nous». Quel est ce «nous»? Est-ce un «nous» américain, un «nous» occidental... canadien?

MI: Occidental, je dirais. Je me sens très canadien. Je joue un petit jeu: à toutes les fois que la politique étrangère américaine me met mal à laise, je me rappelle toujours soudainement que je suis Canadien! La plupart du temps, je dirais que mon «nous» est occidental. Il y a cette histoire très drôle de Lone Ranger, le cow-boy masqué, et son ami indien Tonto, qui se trouvent soudainement entourés par des Indiens. Alors que les flèches sifflent autour deux, Lone Ranger dit à Tonto : «Nous sommes dans un endroit assez difficile, eh Tonto?» Et ce dernier de répondre : «De quel "nous", parles-tu, homme blanc?» Il y a un peu de cela dans mon attitude. À certains moments, on ne veut tout simplement pas faire partie du "nous". »

Le Devoir Edited by August1991

Ezra Levant, 39, troublemaker and soon-to-be Sun News Network commentator:

“If the last couple of weeks are any indication, the media party has its own agenda,” Levant said. “What are the media party’s top issues:Census-gate. Oda-gate. In-and-out gate. Every drip and drop of Parliamentary insider trivia and it’s so self-indulgent.

“For a week there, the No. 1 issue in the election campaign was reporters complaining that reporters didn’t have more questions as reporters.”

“My deep hope for the Sun News Network is that we are less self-indulgent and that we actually talk about things that matter — not our own Twitter apps, or our own iPads, or our own Facebook pages, or how many questions the prime minister did or didn’t answer. To at least talk about issues, like taxes or jobs or the American debt or what our foreign policy in Libya is.

“Can we not talk about substance and not process? That’s my hope.”

National Post

Jack Layton, 60, federal NDP leader:

“I am discouraged to hear in these last 24 hours or so, the fires of discord being once again fanned when it comes to the nature of this country,” Mr. Layton said after meeting with Quebec City Mayor Régis Labeaume. “And I say to these other leaders, let’s not use an election to try to whip up division between Canadians and between Canadians and Quebeckers. Let’s use an election to talk about solutions and how we can come together.”
G&M

Pauline Marois, leader of the Parti Quebecois, won a 93% approval rate at the PQ convention. She vows to stoke the fires of separation.

“And for federalists who hoped that our will to build a country was going to fade after our convention, know that we leave here more determined, more united, stronger and more convinced than ever.”

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/04/18/national-post-editorial-board-harper-the-best-leader-to-take-on-the-separatists/

Jerry Seinfeld, 57, American comedian on the wedding of Prince William:

'Yes, I’m very excited. Well it’s a circus act, it’s an absurd act.

'You know, it’s a dress-up. It’s a classic English thing of let's play dress-up. Let’s pretend that these are special people. OK, we’ll all pretend that – that’s what theatre is,' he continued.

'That’s why the British have the greatest theatre in the world. They love to dress up and they love to play pretend.

'And that’s what the Royal Family is – it’s a huge game of pretend. These aren’t special people - it’s fake outfits, fake phoney hats and gowns.'

Daily Mail

Jerry Seinfeld, 57, American comedian on the wedding of Prince William:Daily Mail

1) Amazing amount of truth there.

2) But I still like the monarchy, and this is why. In the US, if you critisize the pres, you are critisizing the government/country/everything. In Canada, I can shit all over Harper or Martin or Chretien or especially Trudeau, and that isn't insulting my country cause the GG, representing the Monarchy, is the representative of my country.

Jack Layton, NDP leader, in the Olympia in Montréal:

«Mes amis, il se passe quelque chose présentement au Québec. Un vent de changement. […] Un vent de changement qui vient de partout au Québec et qui va donner un nouveau souffle à la politique», a-t-il lancé à la foule compacte et enthousiaste venue l’entendre.

«Certains ont dit de moi que j’étais trop sympathique pour faire de la politique. Comme si c’était une faiblesse pour un chef de parti d’être près des gens!»

Le Devoir Edited by August1991

Maxime Bernier, 48, Conservative MP from the Beauce:

« Le Bloc et le NPD font un débat sur qui sera le plus dépensier des deux, sur qui serait le plus à gauche », m’a-t-il soumis hier.

Gilles Duceppe a bien essayé en début de campagne de placer la souveraineté à l’avant-plan, analyse-t-il, mais il a constaté que les Québécois ne voulaient pas en entendre parler. Il s’est donc rabattu sur le rôle de l’État, sur le terrain du NPD.

« La distinction est devenue claire et nette entre nous, les conservateurs, et eux. Ça nous sert bien. Je n’aime pas parler de gauche et de droite. Je dis plutôt : avec nous, c’est moins de gouvernement, plus de liberté individuelle et économique, tandis que les deux autres (Bloc et NPD), c’est plus de gouvernement, plus de programmes, plus de dépenses, moins de liberté et, finalement, ça veut dire plus d’impôt et de taxes.

« Le Parti conservateur est le seul, à droite, à faire campagne sur le contrôle des dépenses et des baisses d’impôt », résume Maxime Bernier.

Jean-Jacques Samson, Journal de Québec

Thomas Mulcair, 56, Deputy Leader of the Official Opposition on reports of Osama bin Laden's death:

"I don't think from what I've heard that those pictures exist," Mulcair said during an appearance on Power and Politics.

"I think that if there is something that went on there, it requires a full analysis, and we have to understand whether or not there was an action where there was an action in self-defence or whether it was something that is more in the style of a direct killing. And that has to do with American law and international law as well."

CP

Michael Ignatieff, retired politician:

“I’m going back into a classroom because the only damn thing I can do that’s any use to anybody is to teach kids what I learned and what mistakes I made,” Mr. Ignatieff said in an interview with The Globe and Mail in the opposition leader’s official residence in Ottawa.

“The life that I like the best is teaching. It’s the end of my life as a politician.”

G&M

Jason Kenney, 42, federal minister of Immigration on Liberal Party failure in Toronto:

“I don’t want to sound unkind, but frankly it was laziness,” Kenney told the Star. “There were 32 Liberal MPs from the GTA, and of the hundreds of ethnocultural events I attended in the past five years going from Scarborough to Mississauga, typically there were no Liberals there ... They treated the ethnic communities like passive vote banks owed to them through the supposed myth of Pierre Trudeau. They mailed it in.”

At the Coptic Centre that Sunday, Kenney had his “rainbow coalition” of multicultural Canadians. These were natural Conservatives, he said, and “their vote for you has that potential of being a long-term realignment.”

Of Harper’s announcement, Kenney said: “You are speaking to their values ... I’ll be honest with you about the extent to which the mentality of today’s Liberal party is characterized by the kind of flippant secularism of the Annex.”

“If you go inside most places of worship around the GTA today,” Kenney said, “the large majority are new Canadians who have a higher degree of appreciation of religious freedom than your average university professor at the University of Toronto.”

Toronto Star

• 4 weeks later...

L. Ian Macdonald of Policy options interviews Stephen Harper:

PO: What were your feelings on election night? Did you feel that a 10-year project had finally been achieved, that in 10 minutes, the time it took to see a majority emerging on television, a 10-year project had been achieved?

HARPER: It was 10 years. As you know, I've never made a secret that my goal is to make the Conservative party the natural governing party of the country. I don't think three consecutive victories and one majority assures that. I think there is much more work to be done. Obviously I'm delighted with the results, delighted that we got the majority, delighted with — as you say, if you really look at Ontario, the West and if you include New Brunswick, the strength of the Conservative victory in these provinces is really, I think, quite impressive. And we've built the party, you know, kind of step by step. The base we're establishing is very solid, so I'm very optimistic, but more work needs to be done, and we do need to make greater gains in Quebec. I remain convinced there's a Conservative electorate, a potential electorate that is much larger than our results there, so we need to keep building to really assure that kind of an outcome, but obviously I'm very pleased with the progress we've made in now four successive elections.

PO: What about the orange wave in Quebec? It rose higher than anybody expected.

HARPER: Yeah, it was a phenomenon unlike anything I'd seen before. You know, I've obviously seen parties make great gains in elections. I was part of Reform when that happened. But there was a lot more leadup to that. As you recall, the NDP wave didn't even begin until halfway through the campaign. I think the positive side of this, as we all acknowledge, is the fall of the Bloc. Which, you know, our party does take some credit for. I think our way of managing the federation and trying to deal with the Quebec government and Quebecers went a long way to removing the relevance of the Bloc in federal politics. I'm obviously disappointed we didn't benefit from it more. The NDP has benefited. It's better, I suppose, a federalist party than a non-federalist party, but I also think because of the way the NDP's come to all these seats in Quebec really shows the situation's very fluid, and presents lots of opportunity for further change.

Ottawa Citizen

Louise Beaudoin, 64, former PQ MNA:

"I think that this kind of traditional politics is over, and citizens don't accept it anymore, they don't believe us anymore!" said Beaudoin, who said she's disappointed Marois opted to support the legislation without consulting her caucus.

"There's a confidence crisis between the political class and the citizens. I really believe that profoundly."

CBC

• 2 weeks later...

Stéphane Dion, 54, ex-leader of the federal Liberal Party attends the NDP convention in Vancouver:

In particular, he questioned Mr. Layton’s assertion that 50-per-cent-plus-one would justify sovereignty.

“He should recognize that his own party decided you need two-thirds to amend his constitution so why does he think, in order to please Quebec, he needs to accept an idea that would break up Canada?”

He also said Mr. Layton should explicitly ask his new MPs if they believe in a united Canada.

“Some of them may have been separatists in the past, and it’s OK if they stopped because we will not say no to every Quebecker who was a separatist once in his life. I think this is another mistake he is doing,” he said.

G & M Edited by August1991

• 1 month later...

PM David Cameron on the riots in UK cities:

"There are pockets of our society that are not just broken, but are frankly sick.

"It is a complete lack of responsibility in parts of our society, people allowed to feel the world owes them something, that their rights outweigh their responsibilities and their actions do not have consequences. Well, they do have consequences."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14474393

"There are pockets of our society that are not just broken, but are frankly sick.

"It is a complete lack of responsibility in parts of our society, people allowed to feel the world owes them something, that their rights outweigh their responsibilities and their actions do not have consequences. Well, they do have consequences."

Was he referring to the House of Lords?

Edited by Shwa

Was he referring to the House of Lords?

Well, he is surly not talking about bankers and bondholders.

They still have not taken a haircut for all the mess they have created.

These people truly do not have to worry about consequences since government and central banks will backstop them all the way.

Well, he is surly not talking about bankers and bondholders.

They still have not taken a haircut for all the mess they have created.

These people truly do not have to worry about consequences since government and central banks will backstop them all the way.

Consequences? How could banker and bondholder greed affect anyone in Tottenham or any other impoverished English neighbourhood? I mean, they were already out of work, poor with little prospects. It shouldn't have affected them at all.

:P