Quote of the Day/Week/Month/Year

August1991

Danielle Smith, 39, Wild Rose leader:

"We are motivated to do what is right. We know who we are. We know what we are doing. We have a vision. We are interested in obtaining power," Smith told party faithful at her first convention since being elected leader last fall.

"We want to be a government that listens to Albertans, reflects their values and seems to care," she added. "This is what happens in a province with a democracy."

Calgary Herald

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen Harper, PM of Canada:

“We obviously deplore the actions of a few thugs. But the reality is, unfortunately, that these summits attract this element and (that) has been a problem, as we know, around the world,” Harper said as the G20 summit wrapped up Sunday afternoon.

“That said, I think that goes a long way to explaining why we have the kind of security costs around these summits that we do,” Harper said.

Toronto Star

------

"And seems to care."

:) Beautiful. It's not that "you can't make this stuff up," as the saying goes; it's that you don't need to.

BM, the point is that Danielle Smith's speech is filled with prosaic platitudes. One has only to reverse the meaning and one could write her speech about her own party. IOW, there's no there, there. (If you haven't, I urge you to click on the link and read the original quote.) Edited by August1991

Allan Rock, 62, president of the University of Ottawa and one-time federal Liberal Party leadership aspirant:

"Ann Coulter is a mean-spirited, small-minded, foul-mouthed poltroon," Rock wrote to Houle in a March 18 email. "She is 'the loud mouth that bespeaks the vacant mind'."
The Toronto Star Edited by August1991

Prince, 52, pop musician:

"The internet's completely over. I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won't pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can't get it.

"The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good.

"They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."

London Mirror Edited by August1991

Michael Ignatieff, 63, federal Liberal Leader:

“We have to earn the confidence of Canadians — door by door, handshake by handshake, baby by baby,” he said. “Starting today we’re going to get on a bus and go to every province and territory between July and September, if it doesn’t kill me first. “We’re going to stop at every legion hall, every barbecue, every Tim Hortons and shake every hand in the house.”
Toronto Sun

Rachid Nekkaz, 38, French businessman:

"Je suis favorable à l'interdiction du port du voile intégral dans les lieux publics mais je considère, à l'image du Conseil d'Etat, que l'interdire dans la rue est une violation des principes constitutionnels. Notre objectif est donc de lutter contre ce que j'appelle la «délinquance présidentielle» qui consiste à imposer des principes illégitimes. Nous empêcherons donc la mise en application de cette loi anticonstitutionnelle. Dans une démocratie, la liberté, c'est sacré."

Qu'est-ce qui motive votre combat ?

"Je suis un homme de convictions. Et je pense réellement que le principe de verbaliser le port du niqab dans la rue est la porte ouverte à toutes les interdictions. Après ce sera la kippa, puis pourquoi pas la soutane, ou les homosexuels qui seront stigmatisés… "

Le Figaro

Ignatieff, from the Liberal Express tour in Caledon, Ontario

“This is where Canadian politics belongs, in a farm field,”

http://www.caledoncitizen.com/news/2010-07-22/Front_Page/Liberal_Express_stops_in_Caledon.html

And this, from a stop in Barrie, Ontario.

“One of the reasons I’m on this tour to make Canadians see there’s someone who wants to do politics the right way,” he said, “politics that doesn’t attack you personally, politics that doesn’t attack your integrity and politics that doesn’t attack your patriotism.

“We want politics that says ‘we’ve got a country here and what can we do to make it better.’ If we go the other route, nobody’s going to show up to vote for anybody, let alone me.”

http://www.citizen.on.ca/news/2010-07-22/Front_Page/Ignatieff_wants_to_do_politics_the_right_way.html

Michael Ignatieff, Liberal Leader and graduate of privately funded Upper Canada College, of Oxford University and of privately funded Harvard University:

"Everything that has ever happened to me that has been good in my life happened because I have had the enormous good fortune of being a Canadian citizen," said Ignatieff. "Born here. Educated here. Had a publicly-funded education here that gave me my start."

"We're in politics to make sure that the good things that happen to us, get extended to every single citizen of our country. That no one is left out of the promise of Canadian life."

Dunnville Chronicle

• 2 weeks later...

In an interview from the bus tour, Ignatieff was asked about the popular belief that he is haughty.

“Little by little, people will get to know the Ignatieff I am, that I have always been.”

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/08/09/its-trudeaumania-without-the-trudeau/

Which inspired me to ask myself. After three years on this board, I wonder if other members see the capricorn I am. B)

In an interview from the bus tour, Ignatieff was asked about the popular belief that he is haughty.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/08/09/its-trudeaumania-without-the-trudeau/

Which inspired me to ask myself. After three years on this board, I wonder if other members see the capricorn I am. B)

:)

Certainly not. Probably there are political opponents of yours who can't help thinking you're a big old jerk. Even though you're no doubt an awesome individual.

Same goes for lots, or most of us.

(No doubt there are a few genuine assholes, however.)

Edited by bloodyminded

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Layton, 60, NDP leader:

"Our members are in constant touch with their constituents," Layton said Friday. "Our members represent their constituents, and always have, and have brought their views forward."

"In terms of where the fate of the gun registry lies, there's an enormous Conservative caucus right there that is going to be responsible if this thing is not carried on," he said. "Let's be absolutely clear where this initiative is coming from. This is coming directly from Mr. Harper, and it goes way back to the Reform days."

London Free Press Edited by August1991

Gabrielle Price, President of Young Liberals of Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo, said about Ignatieff.

“Improvisation is his strong point,”

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20100824/KAMLOOPS0101/308249989/-1/KAMLOOPS01/liberal-express-rolls-into-city

Yep. That's a pretty accurate description of the Liberal leader. :)

Is this an example of Ignatieff improvisation? Or just a case of not thinking before you open your trap.

"You would have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to have a wonderful day in the Okanagan. It is one of the most beautiful places in Canada," says Ignatieff.

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/56501/Ignatieff-tour-stops-in-Okanagan

Tony Blair, 57, ex-PM of the UK:

"The problem, I would say error, was in buying a package which combined deficit spending, heavy regulation, identifying banks as the malfeasants and jettisoning the reinvention of government in favour of the rehabilitation of government. The public understands the difference between the state being forced to intervene to stabilise the market and government back in fashion as a major actor in the economy."
Guardian

Barack Obama, US President:

Rebuilding the middle class, he said, has "meant taking on some powerful interests -- some powerful interests who had been dominating the agenda in Washington for a very long time."

"And they're not always happy with me," Mr. Obama added. "They talk about me like a dog. That's not in my prepared remarks, it's just -- but it's true."

CBS News

Fidel Castro, 84, former President of Cuba:

"The Cuban model doesn't even work for us anymore," he said.

I asked Julia to interpret this stunning statement for me. She said, "He wasn't rejecting the ideas of the Revolution. I took it to be an acknowledgment that under 'the Cuban model' the state has much too big a role in the economic life of the country."

The Atlantic

David Suzuki, 74, retired UBC prof:

"I've always seen myself as the messenger, not the message," says David Suzuki, as a faint flush appears on his familiar features.

"To have the focus on myself was something else," says Suzuki, author, scientist, philanthropist and host of CBC's The Nature of Things. "I guess it goes back to my Japanese roots. The Japanese say, if a nail sticks out of the floor, you pound it down. They don't like it when you stand out, and yet . . . I am a sh--- disturber."

Vancouver Sun

US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt:

"No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again."

Link Edited by August1991

PM Stephen Harper in Sillery, Quebec on Monday 13 September:

«Je sais qu’il y a de nouvelles demandes pour des infrastructures de la LNH, de la LCF ici et dans plusieurs autres villes à travers le pays. Mes amis, nous sommes tous de grands fans de sport professionnel. Mais, avant tout, les sports professionnels sont la responsabilité du secteur privé. Et s’il y a un rôle à jouer pour le gouvernement fédéral, cela devrait être équitable à travers le pays, et aussi abordable.»
Canoe Edited by August1991