Quote of the Day/Week/Month/Year

August1991

Nicolle Wallace, 37, Director of Media Affairs in the Bush White House and advisor to Sarah Palin in the 2008 camapaign, talks about Sarah Palin:

"What infuriates her detractors is she has got charisma, tons of it, and she really knows how to please, satisfy and animate a crowd ... She is simply riveting, just like Lady Gaga is riveting, you can't look away. She [Mrs Palin] might as well be wearing raw meat."
Daily Telegraph

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US President Barack Obama quotes an anonymous soldier in Afghansitan:

As one special operations warfighter said during the Pentagon’s review -- this was one of my favorites -- it echoes the experience of Lloyd Corwin decades earlier: “We have a gay guy in the unit. He’s big, he’s mean, he kills lots of bad guys.” (Laughter.) “No one cared that he was gay.” (Laughter.) And I think that sums up perfectly the situation. (Applause.)
White House

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking at a West Vancouver rally on January 16, Ignatieff fell into the professorial role.

"This is the 17th open mike that I've done across the country. Skill testing question: How many no-holds-barred open mics has the prime minister of Canada held with the people of Canada?" he asked, before forming a zero with his hand.
(my bolding)

http://www.nsnews.com/news/Ignatieff+hosts+town+hall/4116258/story.html

Did you get the answer right? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

François Legault, 53, former PQ cabinet minister and founder/CEO of Air Transat:

«Aujourd'hui, je me considère nationaliste. Pour moi, la description d'un souverainiste, c'est quelqu'un qui travaille à faire arriver la souveraineté du Québec. Or, aujourd'hui, je ne réponds plus à cette description.»
La Presse

Abdel Fatah Younes al Abidi, former Libyan Interior Minister, explains his defection:

"I begged Gaddafi not to send planes, I called him. Now of course we don't speak, I have joined the revolution," Al Jazeera reported.

"I gave orders to my men in Benghazi not to shoot protesters, not one of my men shot at protesters," he added. "I guarantee that none of my men shot at protesters."

Discussing the position of the security forces, the former interior minister said: "What I know is that the Free officers of Libya have stopped their support of Gaddafi, his Security Battalion remain," according to the report.

"Stand courageously, people of Libya," he added.

Speculating on whether Gadaffi will step down in the face of overwhelming protests, Younes said: "From my knowledge of Gaddafi, he won't leave; he will stay to the end, but he will stay alone."

Jerusalem Post

Impelled by the law of its own impotence, through lack of any decisive voice of authority... it is forced to recognize as valid... any belief that springs from the exercise of private judgement. Therefore does it finally arrive, by force of its own premises, at the conclusion that one creed is as good as another; it then seeks to shelter its inconsistency under the false plea of liberty of conscience.

"Impelled by the law of its own impotence..." Now those be some choice words. :)

Edited by Timothy17

We are not human beings on a spiritual journey, we are spiritual beings on a human journey - Steven Covey

Such imperfect human machines we are..we send off waste product because we do not use all of our fuel....this human thing called pooping is so tedious and so messy at times...wonder why God gave us assholes - You would assume that he would have at least granted us a tad more angelhood..but I guess that shiting is a constant reminder that we are not quite gods.

• 2 weeks later...

Pat Martin, NDP MP, strategy for the next federal election.

“Our official view is it’s all about the budget because we staked out territory associated with the budget. But, you know, who wouldn’t want to fight an election on your own playing field instead of the enemy’s playing field? And clearly Conservative corruption as an election issue is better for us than managing the economy as an election issue is.”

http://hilltimes.com/dailyupdate/view/94

Edited by capricorn

Muammar Gaddafi, 68, Brother Leader of Libya:

"I cannot fight against my people, that's a lie by colonising countries: France, Britain, the Americans," he said.
BBC

Charlie Sheen, 45, American actor:

"The bigger the lie, the more gullible the public when it comes to swallowing it. Wild. What a boost for poetry, though. T-Shirts. Mugs. Kegs. Key rings."
G&M

Stephen Harper, PM of Canada:

“I understand in the game of democratic politics oppositions and governments attack each other, and there are Parliamentary procedures and rulings back and forth and that’s the way life is,” Mr. Harper told reporters. “It’s all part of the democratic system, keeping the government accountable and we accept that. But our focus can’t become on parliamentary procedure, our focus has to be on the big interests of Canadians and in my judgment that is the economy.”

He declared: “You win some, you lose some, if you lose, you comply and that’s what we will do.”

Hill Times

Michael Ignatieff, Leader of the Official Opposition, talks about arena funding in Quebec City:

"It's not a question of giving little gifts here and there," he said. "I think the project is important because it's a public space. That's what counts, a public space to present the culture, to present the economic success of the region.

"And if the same case arises in Regina or Vancouver I'll say the same thing ... If we're talking about a public space that contributes to the development of that region, then the federal government can contribute."

"There will be an alternative to the Conservatives who are saying no and the NDP that can't do anything, the Bloc (Québécois) that can't deliver anything, and the Liberal party that can deliver the goods on the arena question," Ignatieff said, adding he's impatient to have a debate on the issue in Quebec City.

"Mr. Harper ... said no to the arena. And I say yes, so there's a clear distinction there."

CBC

Discover Canada, Immigration guide of the federal government:

"In Canada, men and women are equal under the law. Canada’s openness and generosity do not extend to barbaric cultural practices that tolerate spousal abuse, “honour killings,” female genital mutilation, forced marriage or other gender-based violence. Those guilty of these crimes are severely punished under Canada’s criminal laws."
CIC

Justin Trudeau, 40, Liberal MP:

"There's nothing that the word 'barbaric' achieves that the words 'absolutely unacceptable' would not have achieved," Trudeau, the Liberal immigration critic, said.

"We accept that these acts are absolutely unacceptable. That's not the debate. In casual conversation, I'd even use the word barbaric to describe female circumcision, for example, but in an official Government of Canada publication, there needs to be a little bit of an attempt at responsible neutrality."

Canoe

From August's link, above.

"Despite Trudeau's opposition, we make no apologies for letting immigrant women know their rights. We won't turn a blind eye to the abuse of immigrant women, even if the Ignatieff Liberals prefer we err on the side of political correctness," said Alykhan Velshi, a spokesman for Kenney.

Vladimir Putin, Russian PM, comments on a UN Resolution authorizing military force in Libya:

"The resolution is defective and flawed. It allows everything," Putin told workers at a Russian ballistic missile factory. "It resembles medieval calls for crusades."

"What troubles me is not the fact of military intervention itself -- I am concerned by the ease with which decisions to use force are taken in international affairs."

"This is becoming a persistent tendency in U.S. policy," Putin said.

"During the Clinton era they bombed Belgrade, Bush sent forces into Afghanistan, then under an invented, false pretext they sent forces into Iraq, liquidated the entire Iraqi leadership -- even children in Saddam Hussein's family died."

"Now it is Libya's turn, under the pretext of protecting the peaceful population," Putin said. "But in bomb strikes it is precisely the civilian population that gets killed. Where is the logic and the conscience?"

Reuters

Ignatieff on the hustings.

“When I think about who I want to serve I think of a wonderful young woman I met a couple of weeks ago in Newfoundland,” he recalled. “ ... she said to me, ‘you know what I want to be, I want to be a bulldozer driver. And I said, you go girl because you’re going to achieve a dream I’ve had since I was a child’.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/ignatieff-channels-bob-dylan-to-introduce-his-election-theme/article1958230/

“The difference between the Liberals making these promises and New Democrats making these commitments is that we follow through — and people know we will.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/968315--layton-defends-candidate-against-separatist-slurs?bn=1

The other difference is of course, there is a far better chance that the Liberals would ever be in a position to fudge their promises than the NDP will ever be.

Michael Ignatieff, Leader of the Official Opposition, talks about arena funding in Quebec City:CBC

I think it is about giving little gifts here and there.

Another politician who, with those pie in the sky promises, just needs to shut his pie-hole.

Pat Martin, NDP MP, strategy for the next federal election.

“Our official view is it’s all about the budget because we staked out territory associated with the budget. But, you know, who wouldn’t want to fight an election on your own playing field instead of the enemy’s playing field? And clearly Conservative corruption as an election issue is better for us than managing the economy as an election issue is.”

http://hilltimes.com/dailyupdate/view/94

Unheard of....an honest politician!!??

Émile Loranger, maire de l'Ancienne-Lorette:Radio-Canada
This is what google translate spits out:

"If you've been treated well so far, then we want to continue to be treated well, although it must be on the safe side."

It does not make much sense. Can you provide a better translation?

Edited by TimG