Quote of the Day/Week/Month/Year

August1991

Robert F. Kennedy, University of Kansas, March 18, 1968:

George Bernard Shaw once wrote, "Some people see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say, why not?"

So I come here to Kansas to ask for your help. In the difficult five months ahead, before the convention in Chicago, I ask for your help and for your assistance. If you believe that the United States can do better. If you believe that we should change our course of action. If you believe that the United States stands for something here internally as well as elsewhere around the globe, I ask for your help and your assistance and your hand over the period of the next five months.

Link

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, in a speech before the United Nations on Sept. 21, 2010.

"The world is in need of an encompassing and of course, just and humane order in the light of which the rights of all are preserved and peace and security are safeguarded."

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2010-09/22/c_13523965.htm

:lol:

Darrell Bricker, president of Ipsos Reid:

Bricker said the Tories are now better positioned to tell voters in rural Canada that they are the only party that gives voice to their concerns.

"The gun registry isn't really just about guns. It's about what the Canadian way of life is. It's really about the old Canada versus the new Canada . . . the new Canada being very multicultural, very urban people who wouldn't be into hunting."

Montreal Gazette Edited by August1991

Michael Ignatieff, Leader of the federal Liberal Party, argues that travel means good leadership, and that the Liberal Party (not the Supreme Court) made gay marriage possible in Canada:

"I fought two federal elections and secured the support of ordinary Canadians in a riding I love in Toronto . . . I've just come off a 57,000 kilometre bus tour to 165 communities across the country," Ignatieff said.

"I am working to earn it every single day, handshake-by-handshake, baby-by-baby, public meeting by public meeting."

"I'm an extremely proud Liberal, I've been a Liberal since I was 17. The ground under which we stand here tonight was built by Liberals — the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Medicare, universal and accessible to all, gay marriage. This is the stuff that Canadians associate with the Liberal party," Ignatieff said.

"(These accomplishments) were done by fallible ordinary people . . . susceptible to corruption, susceptible to error, they make bad judgments and they're just like you and boy I'm proud to be one of them," Ignatieff said.

Amir Khadir, 49, co-leader of Québec solidaire agrees with a Macleans journalist about supposed Quebec corruption:

Par ailleurs, le député de Québec solidaire, Amir Khadir, est un des rares élus à partager les vues du journaliste Martin Patriquin. «Il a raison sur presque toute la ligne. Dans tous les pays qui ont vécu une brisure avec une période coloniale, des pratiques de corruption se poursuivent à cause de la faiblesse des institutions démocratiques. C'est la corruption qui a fait tomber le gouvernement Bourassa en 1976. Rappelez-vous le scandale de la viande avariée et celui du chantier olympique», explique M. Khadir.

«Le PLQ [Parti libéral du Québec] est encore plus vulnérable à cause de sa proximité avec les milieux d'affaires, qui peuvent facilement demander des retours d'ascenseur.»

Le Soleil Edited by August1991

Michael Ignatieff, Leader of the federal Liberal Party, argues that travel means good leadership, and that the Liberal Party (not the Supreme Court) made gay marriage possible in Canada:Link

I very strongly suspect that Mr. Ignatieff's eyes are brown.

Andre Arthur, 66, independent MP from Portneuf:

«Je pense qu'un parlement n'a pas d'affaires à faire la critique du travail des journalistes. Il n'y a pas de plus grande autorité au Canada que le Parlement, alors avant de faire de la censure, je pense qu'on devrait réfléchir à deux fois», a-t-il indiqué.

«Ce que j'ai lu, je suis d'accord. Puis, je pense qu'il lui en manque des bouts et que c'est peut-être pire qu'il pense... Je ne sais pas si on est pire que les autres, mais on très corrompus.»

D'ailleurs, le député Arthur disait regretter que semblable article n'ait pas, d'abord, été publié dans un média québécois : «Une fois qu'on va s'être rendu compte qu'il y a beaucoup de vrai là-dedans, il va falloir se demander comment ça se fait que ce n'est pas un média québécois qui l'a sorti en premier... Si, à chaque fois qu'on nous critique, on dit que c'est du Québec bashing, on va finir par être les Serbes de l'Amérique, c'est-à-dire, des gens qui ont toujours raison, qui sont tellement nationalistes qu'ils ne sont pas capables de se regarder eux-mêmes.»

TVA Edited by August1991

George Smitherman, one time Ontario Minister of Health and now a candidate for Toronto Mayor, promises to rid the city of the dreaded bedbug.

“Bedbugs do not know boundaries,” Smitherman said. “They can be in anyone’s home. They can be in hotels. They can be on the TTC. That’s why it’s so important for us to address them,.”

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontovotes2010/2010/10/08/15637496.html

“Far too many people live with the scourge of bedbugs in Toronto,” he said in a statement. “It’s time public health did its job by stepping up inspections and clearly state what responsibilities landlords and tenants have to help fight bedbugs in their homes.

“We want to give people good, clear information about how they can actually get rid of bedbugs, and we want to create a confidential database that tracks where the bedbugs are so we can stay on top of it.”

http://www.thestar.com/news/elections/article/873183--the-daily-plank-war-on-bedbugs

His initial investment for the war on bedbugs is pegged at $3M. What should worry TO residents is the "confidential database" he would create of where bedbugs reside. E-health anyone?

• 3 weeks later...

Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama, and John Cruickshank, publisher of the Toronto Star

We believe that the worst of the problems we face today: violent conflict, the despoliation of nature, poverty, hunger, religious and ethnic persecution are man-made problems which can only be resolved through human effort, understanding and the development of a sense of brotherhood and sisterhood.

(...) No matter what part of the world we come from, we are all basically the same human beings.

(link)

Edited by CANADIEN

Ted Morton, 61, Alberta's Finance Minister:

“So why, when you have a fairly narrowly defined retirement-income problem that needs to be solved, why do you come in with a CPP hike that hits everybody?” he asked rhetorically. “And particularly, why do you do it when we’re trying to come out of a recession and job creation is probably the most important thing governments are doing. In the end, it’s a payroll tax.”
G & M

Following his defeat to Ontario ex-Liberal MPP Jim Watson, in a post-election interview Ottawa incumbent Mayor Larry O'Brien said this.

Being Mayor of Ottawa is like being shot out of a cannon every morning.

Well Larry, Ottawa voters shot you out of a cannon tonight. Thanks for your service and happy landing.

• 2 weeks later...

Ben Bernanke, 56, Chairman of the US Fed:

Our earlier use of this policy approach had little effect on the amount of currency in circulation or on other broad measures of the money supply, such as bank deposits. Nor did it result in higher inflation. We have made all necessary preparations, and we are confident that we have the tools to unwind these policies at the appropriate time.
Washington Post

Sarah Palin, 46, ex-Governor of Alaska:

We don’t want temporary, artificial economic growth bought at the expense of permanently higher inflation which will erode the value of our incomes and our savings. We want a stable dollar combined with real economic reform. It’s the only way we can get our economy back on the right track.
NRO

Barbara Bush, 85, wife and mother of US ex-presidents, speaks about Sarah Palin:

"I sat next to her once. Thought she was beautiful. And she's very happy in Alaska -I hope she'll stay there," said Bush, who is known for her quick wit and tart tongue.

In response to questions from reporters about the government’s decision to place privacy dividers or stalls in the security lanes at Canada’s major airports, Ignatieff had this to say.

I have people touching my private parts all day long...

That’s what we have to do to keep us safe,” Mr. Ignatieff said. “... I have long ceased worrying about these issues. We have to keep this country safe and the people I feel strongly in support of are the hard-working security scanners. It’s not a great job. It’s tough. You’re wearing rubber gloves all day long.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/ignatieff-doesnt-mind-his-junk-touched/article1812133/

In response to questions from reporters about the government’s decision to place privacy dividers or stalls in the security lanes at Canada’s major airports, Ignatieff had this to say.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/ignatieff-doesnt-mind-his-junk-touched/article1812133/

:rolleyes:

Ho man, what a Liberal...

Now I see, it's a conspiracy...

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Ignatieff, OLO:

“I’m proud to represent a riding in Etobicoke. The same people who elected Rob Ford elected me,” Ignatieff said in a year-end interview with the Star on Thursday.

“These are very sophisticated voters and what they seem to be saying with Rob Ford is: we want good government. We want value for money from our taxes. It’s not a message that’s anti-Liberal,” Ignatieff said.

“I know those streets, I’ve campaigned in those streets . . . three-bedroom brick bungalows built in the 1960s and 1970s, the core middle-class family that we want to make the focus of what we’re doing in the next election. These are the people who put me where I am,” he said.

“I think that the key to prosperity of the Canadian middle class now lies in China, in India, in Brazil, in Europe . . . Everything is globalized. And Canada is in a fantastic position to do really well in the world,” Ignatieff said. “But you need a government that doesn’t treat its foreign policy as an extension of its seat-winning strategy in domestic Canadian politics. You need a prime minister who thinks it’s actually good to have some international experience.”

The Toronto Star