The law is basically an admission

of defeat,you apparently can't appeal

to peoples' better nature to change their

behavior.

The point is, trying to ban

such behavior is basically useless

and frustrating,ask anybody

who has tried to help a friend

or a family member overcome an addiction.

It comes down to choice,if someone chooses

to engage in self defeating actions i say,let

"Evolution'' take it's course and let Darwins'

Law take effect.

Smoking can kill you.

Drinking can kill you.

Doing drugs can kill you.

Sleeping with you neighbors

wife can kill you.

Drinking to much water

can kill you.

The law is basically an admission

of defeat,you apparently can't appeal

to peoples' better nature to change their

behavior.

The point is, trying to ban

such behavior is basically useless

and frustrating,ask anybody

who has tried to help a friend

or a family member overcome an addiction.

It comes down to choice,if someone chooses

to engage in self defeating actions i say,let

"Evolution'' take it's course and let Darwins'

Law take effect.

Open the window - icrease the air pressure - via the fans and blowers etc..fire up a smoke - exhale ou the window - and All - yes I said All of the "second hand' smoke leaves the compartment leaving passengers free from breathing the crap - I myself as a heavey somker - do not like to breathe the second hand stuff - so I always use this method - plus - those that roll up the window and smoke arnuts and have to intelligent approach to physics - they poison themselves and the passengers - it's also ver deceptive how the do gooder engineers always talk about "children" in the car - what about the adult children - andnothing more hypocritial than "baby on board" signs - as if killing adults is ok..

- just like child poverty - the great con job and heart string pulling deception - It's about adult poverty that cause child poverty - getting real tired of those that use kid politically "the most vulnerable" for gods sake we ARE ALL WONDERFUL AQND VULNERABLE - WHEN YOU HARM AN ADULT YOU HARM A CHILD - PROTECT ADULTS FIRST AND THE REST WILL TAKE CARE OF IT SELF - UNLESS YOU ARE OF THE SCHOOL THAT CHILDREN ARE PROPERTY OF THE STATE - WHICH MAKES US ADULTS DRONISH SLAVES.

I dunno... this doesn't seem too big of a deal to me. We have worked to rid public places of the danger of second hand smoke, and rightly so. Does it no logically follow that we protect those the least capable of protecting themselves?
I think, overall, the "second-hand smoke" restrictions have gone too far, at least in New York City. However, I see a valid public health concern when it comes to children and, on balance, I agree with not allowing smoking in cars when children under a certain age, say, 16, are present.

I think, overall, the "second-hand smoke" restrictions have gone too far, at least in New York City. However, I see a valid public health concern when it comes to children and, on balance, I agree with not allowing smoking in cars when children under a certain age, say, 16, are present.

Open the windows and turn on the blower and tell these vacarious child lovers- and protectors to mind their own buisness - they are looking for anyway to hyjack your kids - once they hyjack your kids though these trumped up child abuse charges - they hyjack you next - and once a child is kidnapped by so-called authorities most parents will comply and do what every they are told - from anger management courses - to putting them selves on medication at the insistance of the courts - they want us all to be "depressed" - this is all part of controling you THROUGH THE THINGS YOU LOVE- YOU CHILDREN! _ These freaks who put these child protection policies together barely love their own kids let alone yours - they just want to use your children to empower themselves and dominate YOU - tell them to kiss your ass and boycott these wanna be authoritarians.

I am an ex-tobacco smoker, and even though I no longer smoke, this is an incredibly stupid law. We have far too many laws already, the last thing we need is more stupid laws to take away police time and effort from solving real crimes like theft, assault, or being a conservative.( ok the last one is just my wishful thinking)

If you crack the window 99.9% of the smoke goes out. The anti-smoking nazi's have gone way too far, why can't people mind their own F@cking business? Don't give me that I have a right not to smell your smoke crap either. When you stop all the cars and factories from spewing out smoke and pollution then talk to me about the tiny ammount of smoke that comes from a smokers cigarette. If you need a nanny so bad move back into your parents basement. Until we start refusing to sell fat people french fries, or fining people who let their kids get fat piss off with your nanny state legislation.

Smokers should be absolutely free to open business's that allow smoking which is a perfectly legal habit. If non-smokers don't like it they should really just stay the F$ck out. Go open your own smoke free businesses, there is no need for a law to punish people who choose to smoke. If they want to smoke it is their body, their business, if they die 20 years early oh well, they have a right to live how they choose.

Of course I don't think smoking in a small enclosed area with non-smokers is fair, but a car with an open window will absolutely not fill up with smoke. As for the smoking bans in public places, I disagree completely that a private business is a pubic place. If I own a business and I choose to allow smoking the government and the anti-smoking lobby should have no say whatsoever. If you are a non-smoker who doesn't like smoke feel free to not work at or even enter my business. Go open a non-smokers bar.

I wonder how people would feel about a law that fines parents who feed their overweight kids high calorie foods? I guess we better all just let the state install cameras in our cars, bedrooms, kitchens, and bathrooms so they can watch us and make sure we don't make any unhealthy decisions.

edited to remove a line that may be seen to advocate a violent act.

Edited by DrGreenthumb

Sounds good to me. I don't care what people do on their own property, but I have just as much right to be in public as anyone else without having carcinogens blown in my face.

Yes I agree and we can ban all cars and trucks from the roads too. Afterall, we all have the right to breathe clean air, damnit.

Greenthumb, the goberment already controls what we put in our mouths. Dah, have you ever heard of Transfats and the goberment banning them from food??????

I have no problem with banning smoking in closed vehicles when children are in the car, parents choose to smoke the children do not choose to suck that filth into their lungs. For children with breathing problems or allergies it's just plain cruel. For heavens sake stop and light up in a parking lot, it's not exactly a sacrifice to butt out in a vehicle.

However the public domain should remain just that free for the public to domain or smoke or chat or whatever.

Greenthumb, the goberment already controls what we put in our mouths. Dah, have you ever heard of Transfats and the goberment banning them from food??????

Dont think you would want to bet on that.

Trans fats arent banned. We are moving that way, but we arent there yet.

The earliest I found was 2010 for Calgary.

It is a slippery slope and we need to be mindful of our rights.

Edit to add: Seems most bans are from school property.

Edited by guyser

An ex-smoker of thirty five years, quit on the day my son was brought home from the hospital. Trying to ban smoking in public places is one thing. Banning it in someone's "personal space", is another.

If you can ban people from smoking in a car because you are transporting children, then what is stopping the state from coming into your home and banning smoking in the home if a child is present.

I see the government as two faced on this issue, they bring in all types of laws to ban smoking, making life difficult for a smoker but love to collect the tax money off of the product.

I have just finished raising two kids and bringing them through the school years. The government and people have more to worry about than second hand smoke in our kids lives, the amount of illegal substance that kids have ready access to is unbelievable.

Quit worrying about the small stuff and focus on what really can kill them. Illegal Drugs.

An ex-smoker of thirty five years, quit on the day my son was brought home from the hospital. Trying to ban smoking in public places is one thing. Banning it in someone's "personal space", is another.

If you can ban people from smoking in a car because you are transporting children, then what is stopping the state from coming into your home and banning smoking in the home if a child is present.

I see the government as two faced on this issue, they bring in all types of laws to ban smoking, making life difficult for a smoker but love to collect the tax money off of the product.

I have just finished raising two kids and bringing them through the school years. The government and people have more to worry about than second hand smoke in our kids lives, the amount of illegal substance that kids have ready access to is unbelievable.

Quit worrying about the small stuff and focus on what really can kill them. Illegal Drugs.

Umm hate to break this to ya but tobacco smoke kills more people every year than all those "dangerous" illegal drugs" combined. The legal status of a substance is no indication of its safety. Alcohol is more dangerous than MOST illegal drugs. Obviously safety has ZERO to do with the legal status of a substance. If there is justification for making cannabis illegal there is 100 times more justification for making alcohol and tobacco illegal. I don't believe in prohibition of anything though, it has never been the slightest bit effective at reducing consumption.

Oh yeah and if you think the anti smoking nazi's are going to stop at the space inside your car, think again. These people think they have the right to mind everyone else's business, and will be passing laws against smoking in your home before you know it. They have already done it to private business. It won't matter how much ventilation you install either, because it is not the safety of your children they are concerned with, that is just their excuse. Some people really are just addicted to controlling other people's lives. They are not happy unless they are forcing their will on others.

Edited by DrGreenthumb

Some people really are just addicted to controlling other people's lives. They are not happy unless they are forcing their will on others.

That may be true for some, but I say thank heavens we have people in power who have developed a policy that will attempt to protect the lungs of children. I smoke in my car but not when kids are on board. My conscience would get the best of me. I have opened the window and the kids have told me that they can still smell it. So no, that doesn't work either, your fooling yourself if you think it does. Smokers can't smell anything anyway, so how would they know who can smell what?

• 3 weeks later...
Trans fats arent banned. We are moving that way, but we arent there yet.

The earliest I found was 2010 for Calgary.

Calgary was essientially transfat free as of Jan 1 this year. $10,000 plus fines for violators. First city in Canada. Us backwards hicks out here, hey?

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008/01...4754438-cp.html

That may be true for some, but I say thank heavens we have people in power who have developed a policy that will attempt to protect the lungs of children. I smoke in my car but not when kids are on board. My conscience would get the best of me. I have opened the window and the kids have told me that they can still smell it. So no, that doesn't work either, your fooling yourself if you think it does. Smokers can't smell anything anyway, so how would they know who can smell what?

Now we have the real truth of the issue come out, it has nothing to do with health it has to do with some people who don't like to smell smoke. The minute ammount of smoke that escapes being sucked out a car window may be a smell concern for some but it is no health issue. Gonna ban campfires too? Let me know when you manage to get farting in cars banned too, I hate being trapped in a car after someone lets one rip. This is about control freaks run amok, no matter how hard you try to camoflage yourselves as children's advocates you are nothing more than pety control freaks. I quit smoking 4 months ago, so it doesn't really even affect me anyways, but that hasn't affected my bullshit detector in the slightest.

When you smell your neighbor's barbecue, do you rush to grab your gas mask? Here's some great words to live by, "mind your own friggin business", or how about "live and let live"?

I just wondering what are smokers going to do when the government decides to ban smoking in Canada when the healthcare can no profit from treating the smokers or the government isn't making any money on the taxes.

I think that once they get over the initial agony and discomfort comming off their addictions, they will all be very happy that there are no cigarettes around to get their hands on. If you don't have them, and you can't get them, you can't smoke them.

But, unfortunately, the ones who make all the money from the sale of cigarettes, and from offering treatments for cessation, even with the cost in the medical system, I don't think my dream will come true any time soon.

I was sure that after these serious warnings and gross photos on the cigarette packs would help people to stop, and some have, but some are still stuck in their addictions. Our friends in a two-smoker family did their annual budget and learned that they spent 1/3 their income on cigarettes. They figured out they could afford two trips to Mexico every year with the same amount of money they spent on smoking!

No they didn't quit.

I think that once they get over the initial agony and discomfort comming off their addictions, they will all be very happy that there are no cigarettes around to get their hands on. If you don't have them, and you can't get them, you can't smoke them.

But, unfortunately, the ones who make all the money from the sale of cigarettes, and from offering treatments for cessation, even with the cost in the medical system, I don't think my dream will come true any time soon.

I was sure that after these serious warnings and gross photos on the cigarette packs would help people to stop, and some have, but some are still stuck in their addictions. Our friends in a two-smoker family did their annual budget and learned that they spent 1/3 their income on cigarettes. They figured out they could afford two trips to Mexico every year with the same amount of money they spent on smoking!

No they didn't quit.

My wife and I quit 4 months ago and have already saved 2760 dollars. The government SHOULD encourage people to quit, its in everyone's best interest if people quit smoking tobacco.(well not the profiteers best interest)

I think the warnings on the smoke packs are great, and so is all the truthful information about the adverse health effects. These are positive ways to encourage people to make the CHOICE to quit. People are quiting smoking like crazy and less people are starting in the first place. This is the right way to discourage harmful drug use. Tobacco use is drug use. Attempting to use criminal law to take away people's freedom of choice is the worst way to do it. People have free will and you can't force people to quit by trying to bully them into it. That method is totally counter productive and in fact only encourages use. Just look at how Cannabis use and illegal drug use has consistently risen under a prohibition model and it is easy to see that we need to end the "war on drugs" and to to encourage people not to abuse drugs using true health information, and by encouraging them to make the choice themselves to not abuse substances. Moderation is the key to good health, and when people have addictions they should be treated as health problems that they are, not criminalize people who are not really criminals.

My wife and I quit 4 months ago and have already saved 2760 dollars. The government SHOULD encourage people to quit, its in everyone's best interest if people quit smoking tobacco.(well not the profiteers best interest)

I think the warnings on the smoke packs are great, and so is all the truthful information about the adverse health effects. These are positive ways to encourage people to make the CHOICE to quit. People are quiting smoking like crazy and less people are starting in the first place. This is the right way to discourage harmful drug use. Tobacco use is drug use. Attempting to use criminal law to take away people's freedom of choice is the worst way to do it. People have free will and you can't force people to quit by trying to bully them into it. That method is totally counter productive and in fact only encourages use. Just look at how Cannabis use and illegal drug use has consistently risen under a prohibition model and it is easy to see that we need to end the "war on drugs" and to to encourage people not to abuse drugs using true health information, and by encouraging them to make the choice themselves to not abuse substances. Moderation is the key to good health, and when people have addictions they should be treated as health problems that they are, not criminalize people who are not really criminals.

Nice post and it made my left lung hurt just reading it. Getting back to smoking in cars. The smoke haters and the vacarious protectors of other peoples children do not understand what smoking in a car is all about - Smokers for one do not like second hand smoke - we like air just like you. The compartment of a modern car is fairly air tight - if you turn on the blower and crank down the driver window and speed along at 100 clicks - not one bit of smoke stays in the compartment - none!

These people that believe that you are putting your kids in a suit case and attactching a smoke hose to it - don't know what they are talking about - BUT - if you have kids in the car - best not to smoke...even the faint smell is enough to condition a future addiction - and besides if I want to give the kids charred lungs thats my buisness - they are my product and I own them - so scram - besides - I let my four year old smoke cigars and dring whiskey on the back roads and he turned out all right...should be getting out of Kinston by next Christmas - got a degree in bike mechanics you know - I am so proud of him...now I will be signing my doner card - my lungs will go to you...after yours rot out from some genetic weakness.

No they didn't quit.

For most people to quit smoking it very very hard and some will never quit until cancer or another disease takes their lungs. If you go to a cancer hospital you will see people with cancer standing outside with the IV in their arms..SMOKING! They keep going in and out of the hospital for cancer treatments until the treatments kill them or they fail to work, most say they wished they never smoked.

For most people to quit smoking it very very hard and some will never quit until cancer or another disease takes their lungs. If you go to a cancer hospital you will see people with cancer standing outside with the IV in their arms..SMOKING! They keep going in and out of the hospital for cancer treatments until the treatments kill them or they fail to work, most say they wished they never smoked.

I wish the same. I remeber my wifes grandmother - 89 years old with a whiskey in one hand and a smoke in the other - finally she fell over and hit her head on the sink and slowly died. She could have smoked for a hundred years with only gum disease as a results. What irks me is that if you have great resolve to maintain your personal power and health- you can smoke till you are old...BUT these warnings and graphic photos on the package - seem to have but one effect - to break the natural resolve of maintaining a positive mindset that ensures health..it is a harrassment not an aid to stop smoking...the industry is very evil..but some like to toy with the dark side - and smoking is a defiant sport like sky diving....now where the hell are my smokes?

The day that the government start paying for my car payments for the vehicle that I use to cart my kids around in, my mortgage payments for the house my kids live in, the groceries that I buy for my kids to sustain their life on, the shoes I buy to place on my kids feet, the clothes I buy to keep on their backs, the medication I buy to keep them healthy, the sports and activities I pay for to keep them well socialized and physically and mentally active, the heating bills I pay to keep my my kids warm, the hydro bill I pay so that they have electricity, the post secondary education that I will pay for so that they have a future, and all the rest of the crap that I PAY FOR WITH MY HARD EARNED MONEY, then, and only then will they have the right to tell me what I can and cannot do when it comes to MY KIDS. Seems to me that the Good Lord gave me these kids, not the government. That is the only higher power I need to answer to about my actions. Last time I looked, smoking was still legal in Canada. I am sick and tired of being made to look like a criminal and child abuser.

PS - Don't forget to order a fully loaded pizza while the family sits on the couch watching 'Die Hard' with the kiddies glued to the violence on the TV...

Hypocritical, eh?