Queen of Canada

What sort of patriotic feelings does the maple leaf flag induce outside of the fact , yes, maple trees do grow in Canada and virtually leaves the importance of the nation and its provinces unattended.

The maple leaf flag lacks character and IMO is more representative of a cartoon drawing of a maple leaf rather than providing the character and historical importance of the nation.

As I've said, I'm not going to gush over the Maple Leaf flag; but it is my country's flag, and it is, in my experience, easily recognized both inside and outside of Canada. Perhaps, like most things, it has its strengths and weaknesses: it is simple and effective as an identifying symbol, which is the primary purpose of a flag; yet, it also has a weaker traditional foundation than other flags. I can't say, though, that I think of anything other than Canada when I see the Maple Leaf flag.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've said, I'm not going to gush over the Maple Leaf flag; but it is my country's flag, and it is, in my experience, easily recognized both inside and outside of Canada. Perhaps, like most things, it has its strengths and weaknesses: it is simple and effective as an identifying symbol, which is the primary purpose of a flag; yet, it also has a weaker traditional foundation than other flags. I can't say, though, that I think of anything other than Canada when I see the Maple Leaf flag.

I'll gush over the flag. I love almost everything about this place. It's amazing. We are perhaps the most privileged people on earth given the fact that we can complain about the flag. The flag is really no weaker than any other, France and Italy for example. Bars of colour used in different combinations. Our flag (as you said) is one of the most recognizable on earth, and no ill will is felt towards it in most places. The flag is an extension of Canada, o country that I am very proud to live in.

Well, I can't say I adore the flag*, but I am extremely pleased that it is my flag and I don't have to see it as some other lucky stiff's.....as it is, it is a symbol of a great nation, and as such I view it favourably.

* I don't practice idolatry

What sort of patriotic feelings does the maple leaf flag induce outside of the fact , yes, maple trees do grow in Canada

It reminds me of the greatest and richest hockey team in the land.............................who have been mired in a slump almost as long as I have been alive.

The flag is great. Simple design, easily recognized anywhere .

It reminds me of the greatest and richest hockey team in the land.............................who have been mired in a slump almost as long as I have been alive.

I fail to see the connection between the flag and the Montreal Canadiens, other than it is the drapeau of Canada....

...besides 7-2-1 can hardly be called a slump......

...oh....sorry, you said richest....you might want to edit the first adjective though, most people will assume you are talking about the HAbs.

I fail to see the connection between the flag and the Montreal Canadiens, other than it is the drapeau of Canada....

...besides 7-2-1 can hardly be called a slump......

...oh....sorry, you said richest....you might want to edit the first adjective though, most people will assume you are talking about the HAbs.

......ouch..............

(the habs are second greatest)

Why stop at the Red Ensign? It was only used officially starting in 1924. Lets go back to the Flag we first used when Confederation dawned...not like anyone else is using it......

http://members.shaw.ca/kcic1/provflags/royalunion_flag.jpg

Actually, the Royal Union Flag (in it's more modern incarnation) is an official flag of Canada. It isn't flown at certain events just to pay homage to the United Kingdom.

As a matter of EITHER the Union Jack or the Red Ensign suits me fine as it would millions of other Canadians who used either one or the other of these two fine flags, onward from 1902-1965.

And what of the millions of Canadians who've never known any flag but the Maple Leaf? Restoring the old Red Ensign would be nothing more than slap in the face to pretty much everyone born after 1960, many of whom have no connection whatsoever to Canada's British heritage. Thankfully, that's not gonna happen.

And what of the millions of Canadians who've never known any flag but the Maple Leaf? Restoring the old Red Ensign would be nothing more than slap in the face to pretty much everyone born after 1960, many of whom have no connection whatsoever to Canada's British heritage. Thankfully, that's not gonna happen.

Good post Black Dog, I am one of those born after 1960. When I saw a moniker, on a forum, Red Ensign I thought he was a commie. The Maple Leaf is the symbol of Canada, embraced for forty years why would we want to change it. Our ties to England are our past, the Maple leaf is the present. I have no issue with our ties to the Queen but I have no desire to resurrect the dead either. When my husband was in the Military the Maple Leaf Pin was collected world wide by other Militarys. It was and is a great source of pride.

Guest American Woman

I have to chuckle reading through this thread. It starts out with Canadians criticizing Americans for loving their flag, and ends with Canadians discussing ... loving their flag. :P

I have to chuckle reading through this thread. It starts out with Canadians criticizing Americans for loving their flag, and ends with Canadians discussing ... loving their flag. :P

I don't why anyone would critize any country's flag, unless it were their own. As far as Canada goes I do like our flag, I also liked the Union Jack. I think I would like to hear "The Maple Leaf Forever" played at times, besides O Canada.

Guest American Woman

I don't know why anyone would criticize another country's flag, either. And I don't know why they would criticize a nation for flying it. We should all fly our flags proudly. :)

I don't think I've ever heard "The Maple Leaf Forever." When is that generally played?

You say Canadians born after 1960 have no connection to Canada's British heritage, FALSE.

Then those Canadians must be totally ignorant of the fact Canada is STILL a Constitutional Monarchy and Queen Elizabeth is STILL the Queen of Canada and has participated in the significant events in the life of Canada.

The Queen, who is fluent in both official languages, remains associated with the significant events in the life of this country and has consistently demonstrated her respect for the choices that Canadians make in shaping their future.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/about/pe...narchy_15-e.htm

Edited by Leafless

Wow, that was intelligent. We don't make fun of your ceremonial institutions...oh wait....you have none :lol:

No stop right there they do have a ceremonial institution. It consists of a president standing on an aircraft carrier like a knight in shinning armor arriving by a 30 million dollar fighter aircraft - that the president flew like a 3 year old kid steering the car down the back roads while sitting on dad's lap -----and standing in full glory in a flight suit made of gold fiber that was to small and riding up at the crotch -------------and the ritual chant of the hero king...."Bring it on" - or was that "gotta git that Syraneeun guy to stop that shit"....all that was left out was a crown and a kid yelling the king has bad clothes.

Hi American Woman, you are right. When we thought our flag and our independance was being threatened we certaily showed our colours. Thank Goodness for that. We tend to not have the same revernece for the flag as the Americans but just don't push us.

Guest American Woman
Hi American Woman, you are right. When we thought our flag and our independance was being threatened we certaily showed our colours. Thank Goodness for that. We tend to not have the same revernece for the flag as the Americans but just don't push us.

Hi Margrace. I'm still chuckling because evidently Canadians' love for their flag is just

that-- love for their flag; but Americans' love for their flag is "reverence." :P

Edited by American Woman

No stop right there they do have a ceremonial institution. It consists of a president standing on an aircraft carrier like a knight in shinning armor arriving by a 30 million dollar fighter aircraft - that the president flew like a 3 year old kid steering the car down the back roads while sitting on dad's lap

Actually, it was a US Navy S-3 Viking (not a fighter aircraft) [Navy One], but since President Bush type qualified in the F-102 Delta Dagger, it would have been no great shakes, and not the first time he wore a flight suit.

The Red Ensign :lol:

I nominate this thread for the Maple Leaf Web red herring of the year award.

The Queen. Like who gives a flying f*ck.

LOL.

And what does the Maple Leaf stand for?

Tolerance and the land of third world immigrants.

Selling out the Queen and our beloved Canadian history for Quebec and third rate immigrants.

WOW!