Muslim group calls for ban on burqas in Canada

kimmy

The Muslim Canadian Congress contends that the burqa is not required by Islam and is not a religious practice, so not protected by the freedom of religion.

The Muslim Canadian Congress is the group Tarek Fatah is associated with; he's a Muslim known for speaking out against Sharia law in Ontario, and against restrictive interpretations of Islam in general. Some Muslims pretty much hate the guy, and view him as a traitor... I recall one guy on Rabble saying that he and Irshad Manji are traitors who've figured out that the western press loves Muslims who beat down other Muslims. Tarek Fatah on one occasion made headlines when the RCMP investigated death-threats left on his answering machine by an angry conservative Muslim.

Personally, I think the world needs more Muslims like Fatah and Manji, people who show that modern secular society and Islam aren't incompatible. I just mention all of this because there are a number of Muslim groups in Canada, and I'm not sure how "legit" any of them are when it comes to viewing their comments as representative of the Muslim community as a whole.

Anyway, as much as I feel the burqa is ridiculous and retarded, I don't personally support a ban on it. I feel that someone should be free to walk around wearing a tent and a bag over her head, just as I feel that someone should be free to walk around wearing a chicken-suit if they so desire.

-k

Guest TrueMetis

Any women in Canada is choosing to wear it so if they want to let them. As long as they take it off for their driver's license photo and when the cops need to ID her.

Any women in Canada is choosing to wear it so if they want to let them. As long as they take it off for their driver's license photo and when the cops need to ID her.

Or the workplace if safety/professionalism calls for it. Most of those get-ups are another Isadora Duncan* waiting to happen.

*famous dancer who died when her long scarf wrapped around the rear-wheel spokes of her sports car.

Or the workplace if safety/professionalism calls for it. Most of those get-ups are another Isadora Duncan* waiting to happen.

*famous dancer who died when her long scarf wrapped around the rear-wheel spokes of her sports car.

Last year or the year before that a woman in Calgary driving a school bus got into an accident because she didn't have peripheral vision due to her head scarf.

Anyway, as much as I feel the burqa is ridiculous and retarded, I don't personally support a ban on it. I feel that someone should be free to walk around wearing a tent and a bag over her head, just as I feel that someone should be free to walk around wearing a chicken-suit if they so desire.

I agree, although I do not feel it is "retarded" myself. Some women might prefer it, perhaps because they do not want to be judged by people based on how nice their hollywood hairstyle looks today, or how round their asses are. In our culture women are glorified as sex objects, not always openly but always at the subconscious level.

Anyway not sure how I feel about that, but the point is there's no need to use LAW to ban clothing, in this case there's really no problem. And the former head of this muslim association says pretty much the same thing. If someone WANTS to wear it, they should still be allowed to.

My view on a solution is more generous- let those who want to wear them go ahead, but the overall attitude towards it is that it should not be necessary, young muslim girls should be taught to be proud of their femininity and raised to become confident adults who should never feel ashamed of it. Then the burkas will disappear all on their own.

I agree.

Seconded.

Wear what you will but don't hide. Burqas did not originate to obscure the identity of the wearer. They were devised to ensure privacy. I am sure in some more orthodox Muslim culture that the towns folk could recognize the woman by their eyes. You would develope a knack after a while on who is who by the visual persona that emulates.

Guest TrueMetis

I hope he washes 'em first.

If not, I hope he doesn't wear 'em inside-out.

Brings a whole new meaning to the terms "shithead", "dickhead" et al</div>

Trying out the little button-thingies in the reply box. Hmm. I guess now I'm right-leaning???

That puts me in the centre, also

:lol: nice ones

Edited by TrueMetis

There is a woman in my building who wears the full get up. I could barley see her eyes through the thing, It was not a full burqa where here eyes ere covered, but that get up sure as crap obstructs your vision while driving. For the saftey of her two children in the car, I'd say take it off. We have laws now banning cell phone use in cars because it distracts and hinders the driver. This should be banned as well. If you can't see, how the hell can you drive?

I have been off the roads for about 10 years and just got a new-to-me car. I don't miss the idiots on the roads. And now there seems to be just exponentially a lot mroe of them stupid drivers out there. (side note - when I was in Toronto a few weeks ago, I was doing 130kph in the fast lane, and had a paramedic truck ride me ass for a few k's. Then he changed lanes, gunned it and then pulled back into my lane cutting me off, I had to hit the brakes. wtf a freakin paramedic who should know better... hope you call in your buddies for yourself and me when we touch bumpers).

GOSH ... IDIOTS !!!

Edit le.

And I agree with the OP. There needs to be more people like him comming out against the extremisms of Islam. Extremism on any religion needs to be confronted and dealt with. I applaude him.

Edited by GostHacked

I still wonder why criminals in the GTA haven't caught onto the use of the full burka to aid their crimes...

Imagine... in some areas of Toronto you would be entirely inconspicuous unlike in a ski mask (dead of winter excepted), and you have a baggy garment to hide your shotgun underneath to boot. After the armed robbery simply find a relatively secure location, rip off the burka and you are good to go... escape the area as casually as you can - witness and video cameras be damned.

I still wonder why criminals in the GTA haven't caught onto the use of the full burka to aid their crimes...

Imagine... in some areas of Toronto you would be entirely inconspicuous unlike in a ski mask (dead of winter excepted), and you have a baggy garment to hide your shotgun underneath to boot. After the armed robbery simply find a relatively secure location, rip off the burka and you are good to go... escape the area as casually as you can - witness and video cameras be damned.

Gee, that makes one wonder. It's the 1970's and in some fundamentalist Islamic country that sponsors terrorism the new custom of the burka suddenly appears...

Guest TrueMetis
individual's right to their life clearly outweighs the muslim's right to their religion.

How does a burka threaten a persons life?

Edited by TrueMetis

Well, a couple of examples mentioned already are wearing vision-restricting garments while driving, and wearing loose garments while operating machinery.

-k

vitamin D deficiency (from lack of sunlight!)

I remeber reading in a recent study that also burkas are making women sick throughout the arab world. 99 percent of women in a showed a deficiency of vitamin D.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/...R56610220070625

which can lead to breast cancer and a wealth of serious illnesses.

don't tell me you didn't suspect that turning women into mobile Tarpaulin beehive like creatures wasn't a safe thing to do!

vitamin D deficiency (from lack of sunlight!)

I remeber reading in a recent study that also burkas are making women sick throughout the arab world. 99 percent of women in a showed a deficiency of vitamin D.

http://www.reuters.com/article/healthNews/...R56610220070625

which can lead to breast cancer and a wealth of serious illnesses.

don't tell me you didn't suspect that turning women into mobile Tarpaulin beehive like creatures wasn't a safe thing to do!

See...we can agree.

;)

Guest TrueMetis
Well, a couple of examples mentioned already are wearing vision-restricting garments while driving, and wearing loose garments while operating machinery.

-k

Well Kwon seemed to be saying it would threaten others lives. The things you list mostly threaten the person doing it's life and I'm pretty sure most safety regulations now wouldn't let people do any of that while wearing a burka anyway.

Well Kwon seemed to be saying it would threaten others lives. The things you list mostly threaten the person doing it's life and I'm pretty sure most safety regulations now wouldn't let people do any of that while wearing a burka anyway.

I was thinking more about terrorists disguising themselves with burkas...