New creation museum sparks debate in Alberta

The Big Valley Creation Science Museum, located in small-town Alberta, is a tiny building that explains evolution, geology and paleontology through a biblical lens.

The museum cost $300,000 to build and houses a number of displays that present a Bible-based alternative to evolution.

The museum's co-owner Harry Nibourg, says creationism is just another theory that gives more insight into human history.

"Evolution, I found, out is a theory, as is creation, but they are both based on face. Neither of us was there," Nibourg told CTV Calgary.

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/TopStorie...n_museum_070605

You can watch a video there also.

Alberta, Alberta, shakin' my head.

10 steps backwards?

The Big Valley Creation Science Museum, located in small-town Alberta, is a tiny building that explains evolution, geology and paleontology through a biblical lens.

The museum cost $300,000 to build and houses a number of displays that present a Bible-based alternative to evolution.

The museum's co-owner Harry Nibourg, says creationism is just another theory that gives more insight into human history.

"Evolution, I found, out is a theory, as is creation, but they are both based on face. Neither of us was there," Nibourg told CTV Calgary.

10 steps backwards?

I wouldn't bother to even pay attention to this. The 'flat-earth' religious fundamentalist/fanatic types tend to be motivated by the ridicule they are subjected to. They apparently have a huge victim complex.

Ergo, don't feed it. Just ignore them. They are reactionaries on the wrong side of history fighting a desperate 'last stand' of the faithful. Pathetic, but not threatening to anyone. Leave them be. Live and let live.

I thought you were talking about the Creation Museum in the USA, I think in Ohio(?).

Anyway I'm not sure if I really support the one in Ohion based on an information they have which to me is questionable. I looked into their website...but didn't really get the chance to read that much. If this one in Alberta is an off-shoot of that...I'm not sure. I have to really look into what message they give.

I thought you were talking about the Creation Museum in the USA, I think in Ohio(?).

Anyway I'm not sure if I really support the one in Ohion based on an information they have which to me is questionable. I looked into their website...but didn't really get the chance to read that much. If this one in Alberta is an off-shoot of that...I'm not sure. I have to really look into what message they give.

Here's the big valley website: www.bvcsm.com.

cuckoo.com must have been taken.

I found this interesting:

The "Evidence From Geneaology" display, donated by Edgar Nurnberg, is one of the more favourite displays of our visitors. These scrolls from the Lambeth Palace in England trace the geneaology of King Henry the 6th back to Adam and Eve.

It's hilarious, not only because of the display, but because the museum opened about 10 minutes ago...

10 steps backwards?

4000 steps backwards. What an embarrassment.... of course this is Alberta, the land of eager ecological destruction and pandering to the Bush white house. The land of Canadian neo-conservatism... Alberta is a province that is very hard to respect.

Andrew

10 steps backwards?

4000 steps backwards. What an embarrassment.... of course this is Alberta, the land of eager ecological destruction and pandering to the Bush white house. The land of Canadian neo-conservatism... Alberta is a province that is very hard to respect.

Andrew

I have absolutely no problem with this museum, it seems to me that it is an expression of free speech and freedom of religion. Aren't those things we should foster?

I mean really, it isn't like the grotesque Bountiful BC, where grown men have been marrying and fornicating with underage girls for decades.........

Besides, this is a place that everybody should check out on their summer vacation. For a truly surreal day, smoke a spliff and hit the Creation Museum first, then catch the nearby and wondrous Torrington Gopher Museum

Maybe you should open up a museum on Alberta, since you have no knowlege of it.

Yeah, i have only lived in AB my entire life.

Andrew

Andrew

I have absolutely no problem with this museum, it seems to me that it is an expression of free speech and freedom of religion. Aren't those things we should foster?

I mean really, it isn't like the grotesque Bountiful BC, where grown men have been marrying and fornicating with underage girls for decades.........

Besides, this is a place that everybody should check out on their summer vacation. For a truly surreal day, smoke a spliff and hit the Creation Museum first, then catch the nearby and wondrous Torrington Gopher Museum

To me this is an expression of pure dishonesty.

And like the pedophiles @ Bountiful, lying to your children about science and our knowledge and lack thereof of the universe is just another form of systematic child abuse.

Andrew

Yeah, i have only lived in AB my entire life.

Andrew

Have you ever been outside? :)

Seriously, why are you condemning the province? There's no public money behind this, just a few religious nuts. You can find them in every province. Alberta doesn't have a monopoly.

Alberta was the first province to legislate greenhouse gas reduction. I guess you could respect it for its leadership on this issue. It's also a good employer and contributer to Canada.

Can I take a wild guess that you're in a union and vote NDP?

...I have to really look into what message they give.

Yeah, right. You wouldn't want to associate with someone who foolishly claims the world is 6000 years old and man walked with dinosaurs when EVERYBODY KNOWS the world is now closer to 6200 years old and man ran from the dinosaurs.

:lol:

Seriously, why are you condemning the province? There's no public money behind this, just a few religious nuts. You can find them in every province. Alberta doesn't have a monopoly.

I knew it would be a matter of time before people brought the 'crazy Alberta hicks' stereotype into this... ridiculous hey?

We're talking hardcore hick town here. All provinces have them. This has NOTHING to do with Alberta.

I'm sure the CBC story about it highlighted the fact it's only a few hours from that backwards (and ridiculous sucessful doing it) city Calgary. Can't trust those oil rich hicks, they build crazy museums.

I have absolutely no problem with this museum, it seems to me that it is an expression of free speech and freedom of religion.

Yes. No one is forcing people to enter these museums...as far as I know! I don't know why everyone's pissin on their pants over this.

I knew it would be a matter of time before people brought the 'crazy Alberta hicks' stereotype into this... ridiculous hey?

We're talking hardcore hick town here. All provinces have them. This has NOTHING to do with Alberta.

I can't say what things are like in other places, but I lived in a small community between Hanna and Brooks and was blown away by he people there. I heard comments such as "I don't know why the teachers want to make my kid learn to read. I can't read and I don't have any problems." or when asked how his trip to Lethbridge was a 13 year old responded "too many indians."

I think the problem is that they're pretty vocal about things. They do things like build evolution museums and support Alberta separatist parties that tends to draw attention to the "Alberta Redneck" image. It's no surprise that people will jump to the "crazy Alberta hicks" conclusion because that's what gets press.

[...]

You can support free speech and freedom of religion and still be embarassed by the manner in which some people in your province choose to practice them.

I can't say what things are like in other places, but I lived in a small community between Hanna and Brooks and was blown away by he people there. I heard comments such as "I don't know why the teachers want to make my kid learn to read. I can't read and I don't have any problems." or when asked how his trip to Lethbridge was a 13 year old responded "too many indians."

That's fine. They generally keep to themselves and don't harm anyone. Generally, they are nice people, the type that are eager to help you change a flat or give you directions. They are suspicious of the outside world because many haven't seen it.

These people aren't some militant army waiting to take over Canada and force their views down our throats. They just want to hang out on their farms.

I have little problem with that.

I think the problem is that they're pretty vocal about things. They do things like build evolution museums and support Alberta separatist parties that tends to draw attention to the "Alberta Redneck" image. It's no surprise that people will jump to the "crazy Alberta hicks" conclusion because that's what gets press.

True. You don't see much of the now growing Calgary arts scene or that sort of thing, it's all focused on these people.

The museum is a silly little tourist trap (or not) that won't even be remembered a week from now.

By the way, you don't have to be a hick to support separatism. Unfortunately, most of the hardline supporters come from that demographic.

Bottom line, the media just can't wait to tell the civilized people in Toronto what those crazy hicks out west are doing.