Will the "GAY RIGHT" go away please?

As are most Canadians that I speak with, I'm tired of hearing about the endless strife of GAY Canadians.

Enough already.

Politically you are recognized, socially you are accepted (as much as can be asked for in a democracy), and still the drum beats on.

Will you pleeeeease quit costing taxpayers absurd amounts of money to forward foolish agendas/studies?

There are FAR MORE IMMPORTANT matters to be disscused/studied in this world of ours. In other words..... you don't matter much..........so get over it.

Democracy is the voice of the people as a whole...........and if you're on the fringes...........tough luck.

Remember that when you make a stink about a church that won't marry you...... YOU! are imposing upon the rights of others, to live as they wish to. YOU! are invading the territory of those whom would otherwise

pay you no mind whatsoever.

YOU, have become the intollerants.

Hey, that's interesting news...

I didn't realize there were gay couples making a stink about churches not marrying them. I could've swore the entire debate was about legal recognition for next of kin rights, etc.

Ahwell, silly me. While millions of people are flocking away from organized religion, the gay community is beating down its door to be let in.

:rolleyes:

I didn't realize there were gay couples making a stink about churches not marrying them.

I didn't realize it either. Don't the complainers know that churches decide who they will marry? Churches can decide not to marry a Catholic and a Protestant. Or a Catholic and a Jew. Or a Caucasian and an Asian. They can discriminate on the basis of religion, race or sexual orientation. It's their God-given right.

Well, can't say I have ever heard of a church in modern times withholding a sacrement based on race.....

Depends on how you define modern times. It certainly happened in the twentieth century. The fact that it doesn't happen now is because society evolved and churches responded. But churches still have the right to refuse marriage to whoever they want to refuse. They can even refuse marriage if you're dressed inappropriately.

Apparently it gets dicey if they want to refuse to rent a hall to a lesbian couple getting married.

In a few years, they could well force churches to marry gays if this current trend continues.

Did you even bother to read the link that you posted? It was not a church and the couple had booked and paid before they were told that they could no longer have the hall. The tribunal which awarded them damages said if the hall owners had found them another hall, there would have been no damages. The tribunal never suggested that the Catholic owners of the hall MUST rent them the hall.

Apparently it gets dicey if they want to refuse to rent a hall to a lesbian couple getting married.

In a few years, they could well force churches to marry gays if this current trend continues.

That was almost two years ago. It was a Human Rights tribunal, not a court.

While they decided that the Hall owners had been insensitive, they also decided that they had the right not to rent to someone whose use would violate their religious beliefs. It really was a victory for the Hall owners.

Yeah fellas, that's why I only said 'it gets dicey'. I never claimed it was a court. However, if current trends continue, churches could be forced to not discriminate on the basis of sex.

Churches can discriminate on any grounds that they want. It's called freedom of religion. They can still even discriminate on the basis of religion. A church can decide that they won't marry people of different religions.

When Bill C-250 was passed making it a hate crime to advocate the killing of homosexuals, churches were exempted in a sense. For example, even though some religious texts advocate the killing of homosexuals, churches using those texts can not be prosecuted under Bill C-250. Nonetheless, Harper still voted against C-250.

When Bill C-250 was passed making it a hate crime to advocate the killing of homosexuals, churches were exempted in a sense. For example, even though some religious texts advocate the killing of homosexuals, churches using those texts can not be prosecuted under Bill C-250. Nonetheless, Harper still voted against C-250.

Hmm.. just a thought here, but maybe Harper didn't approve of Bill C-250 because he thought churches should not be exempt from a ban on the avocation of killing homosexuals. Or, maybe he was opposed to homosexuals being protected from death threats while heterosexuals, bisexuals, transsexuals, etc. were not? Or, maybe he doesn't view a sexual orientation as some kind of new species, and that all humans should be protected against any campaign for their death. So many possible reasons for his decision for us to only speculate on, while Norman was somehow made privy to Harper's innermost evil thoughts.

Actually there was a church in the Vancouver area that didn't want to rent it's hall to a Lesbian couple after it found out it was going to be a gay wedding. I can't remember the details now, but I think a court ruled on it.

Close....it was a Knights of Columbus Hall. They lost. Afterall, you can't operate a profit centre and then step back and claim religious immunity....had it been a church there would have been no debate.

maybe he doesn't view a sexual orientation as some kind of new species, and that all humans should be protected against any campaign for their death.

Then why does he support hate crimes legislation based on race or religion?