Eating pork is racism

ScottSA

Just a note on the term 'goy':

goy (goi) pronunciation

n. Offensive., pl. goy·im (goi'ĭm) or goys.

Used as a disparaging term for one who is not a Jew.

Goy or Goyim is an offensive term. It is no different than someone saying kike or raghead or nigger.

Rue is rude (perhaps he/she/it forgot to include a 'd' when registering).

This sandwich thing isn't a hate crime - in fact hate crime laws are a very slippery slope indeed.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sandwich thing isn't a hate crime - in fact hate crime laws are a very slippery slope indeed.

I agree, this was hate but no crime was committed. When the KKK holds a rally or a march, it is in the name of hate but it only becomes a crime when they beat up a child or murder a family.

I agree, this was hate but no crime was committed. When the KKK holds a rally or a march, it is in the name of hate but it only becomes a crime when they beat up a child or murder a family.

Most violent crimes are motivated by hate - at least in part. Hate crime laws = thought crime laws - very vacous and certainly not applied equally.

A husband killing his wife - a crime of passion often motivated by hate (not the opposite to love as the opposite to love is indifference).

As I said - these dudes can get even in their own way if they want - pilli pilli pepper in the others' sandwich would be quite apropo!

Half the problem is the bloody victim society we live in, no very empowering!

Get over it!

:)

The actions of these punks is inexcusable, I don't think I'd call it a hate crime, but unnecessary yes. Such intentional stirring of the proverbial poop pot should be dealt with swiftly with these young kids.

Then we wouldn't have so many on this forum that intentionally raise issues just to get a good ol' fight happening.

I bet you applaude figgy's constant tattling too. "Racism" is making Indian Muslims lick the bloody floor of the Bibi ghat after slaughtering British women and children. Racism is slaughtering British women and children in the Bibi ghat. Tossing a ham sandwich in a paper bag on a table to get a rise out of someone is something a kid does. Like dipping pigtails in inkwells (sexist) or throwing a snowball at the town patriarch (agist). Why do even allow these complaints to be taken seriously?

Beating people up with cricket bats because you don't like what they write should be "dealt with swiftly". Ham sandwiches should be laughed at. What a society of snivelling victims we're promoting.

I bet you applaude figgy's constant tattling too. "Racism" is making Indian Muslims lick the bloody floor of the Bibi ghat after slaughtering British women and children. Racism is slaughtering British women and children in the Bibi ghat. Tossing a ham sandwich in a paper bag on a table to get a rise out of someone is something a kid does. Like dipping pigtails in inkwells (sexist) or throwing a snowball at the town patriarch (agist). Why do even allow these complaints to be taken seriously?

Beating people up with cricket bats because you don't like what they write should be "dealt with swiftly". Ham sandwiches should be laughed at. What a society of snivelling victims we're promoting.

Oh spare us, already.

You're always right there promoting 'rough and ready' ... whenever it's not you or your pet causes doing the suffering.

Personally I don't see why black people always complain about burning crosses on their front lawn, what a bunch of whiners.

Does anybody else see anything wrong with trying to purposely assault people based on their religion.

Wow, you actually think it's an assault?

It's a bully teasing someone, and should be handled with detentions or some such punishment. The kid could grow up to commit hate crimes some day otherwise.

LEWISTON - One student has been suspended and more disciplinary action could follow a possible hate crime at Lewiston Middle School, Superintendent Leon Levesque said Wednesday.

On April 11, a white student placed a ham steak in a bag on a lunch table where Somali students were eating. Muslims consider pork unclean and offensive.

[]

Placing ham where Muslim students were eating was "an awful thing," said Stephen Wessler, executive director of the Center for Prevention of Hate Violence. "It's extraordinarily hurtful and degrading" to Muslims, whose religion prohibits them from being around ham. It's important to respond swiftly, Wessler said.

http://www.sunjournal.com/story/208385-3/L...cident_in_city/

What utter nonsense.

It really sucks when a country starts passing laws to protect peoples' sensibilities.

Having faith in the Flying Spaghetti Monster doesn't give someone the right to press hate crime charges against someone who disrespectfully throws spaghetti in the garbage.

Having some ridiculous hangup about pork should be considered equally idiotic.

Yet we support oppressive labelling of our children. We support mind twisting child-abuse and we protect it as freedom of religion.

Nothing needs to be proven, rationalized or justified. It's religion, anything is fair game.

Ridiculous.

The actions of these punks is inexcusable, I don't think I'd call it a hate crime, but unnecessary yes. Such intentional stirring of the proverbial poop pot should be dealt with swiftly with these young kids.

Then we wouldn't have so many on this forum that intentionally raise issues just to get a good ol' fight happening.

Having an aversion to pork because the invisible man says it's bad (even though billions of others who believe in the same invisible man don't seem to have a problem with it) then trying to have people prosecuted when they call you on your idiocy is what's inexcusable.

Personally I don't see why black people always complain about burning crosses on their front lawn, what a bunch of whiners.

Does anybody else see anything wrong with trying to purposely assault people based on their religion.

I see something wrong with purposely assaulting people regardless of whether it was based on their religion, age, sex, gang colours, the time they slept with your gf, what clothes they wear or any other reason you can dream up.

Religion shouldn't be taken anymore seriously than any other reason.

Having an aversion to pork because the invisible man says it's bad (even though billions of others who believe in the same invisible man don't seem to have a problem with it) then trying to have people prosecuted when they call you on your idiocy is what's inexcusable.

I don't give a crap what their reason (or lack thereof) is for not liking pork. They could be vegetarians, or just people who don't like red meat, or who simply aren't hungry. It's not cool to fling meat at people for the sole purpose of upsetting them. And it's not cool to try to mischaracterize the issue by pretending it was about eating pork, when in fact is was about a calculated effort to use pork to harass someone.

I don't give a crap what their reason (or lack thereof) is for not liking pork. They could be vegetarians, or just people who don't like red meat, or who simply aren't hungry. It's not cool to fling meat at people for the sole purpose of upsetting them. And it's not cool to try to mischaracterize the issue by pretending it was about eating pork, when in fact is was about a calculated effort to use pork to harass someone.

It's not cool to purposely upset people, no crap.

Should it be a crime?

Should it be a HATE crime?

Should hate crimes even exist?

It's not cool to purposely upset people, no crap.

Should it be a crime?

From what I read this was not sufficient to constitute a crime. If anyone had been struck by the meat, it might have been an assault. If the pattern became repeating, it would be harassment. But neither appears to be the case.

Should it be a HATE crime?

By hate crime, do you mean a crime motivated by hatred for a particular group? Technically, if there had been a crime here, it might well have fit that category.

Should hate crimes even exist?
I think the answer to that question properly lies in what principle we apply to the larger question -- should motive be relevant in setting sentences?

While none of the Muslims ate the ham pizza or hot-dogs, neither did any of the Muslims take the presence of these foods to be an offense. I even joked about the dubious content of the hotdogs with them, suggesting that they might be safe for the Muslims to eat since there's probably no actual meat in the hot-dogs. They were amused, not offended.

Oh Lord, can't you racism-deniers fathom that an act of doing something may not be racist within certain contexts and then racist in others. I had this debate with someone after the KKKramer episode of using the N-word. He kept arguing that blacks do the same thing themselves as though it somehow excuses KKKramer's behaviour.

If you people seriously can't understand the difference of doing something deliberately to offend someone and having no malice when doing it, then that's your problem. As a visible-minority, I can say that I will not find it offensive if my family, or even white friends joke with me about my ethnicity, but if someone tries to demean or belittle me by doing the same thing, then indeed, I get offended.

As someone said on another board, white people just don't get it. It's true, you're in position to state whether or not racism exists, or whether or not it's offensive, like I am in saying that getting kicked in the balls doesn't really hurt.

So it's not eating pork that is 'racist', it's DELIBERATELY FLINGING IT AT SOMEONE WHO YOU KNOW FINDS IT OBJECTIONABLE that is 'racist'.

Interesting how Scott overlooked such a minor technicality.

How often do Orthodox Jews get people disciplined for like conduct. As far as the Somalis go, my reaction is that "This is America. Welcome Aboard!!!" They are always free to go home.

The kid's behavior was inappropriate and definitely a religion based attack on these kids. I actually perfer the muslims dealing with these hooligans within the law instead of resorting to violence. Personally I would have decked anyone that tried something similar with me, I admire their restrait.

It really doesn't seem like they were nicely placing the ham down to have a look at, they knew it was highly offensive, and they deliberately tried to provoke a response.

A hate crime? Nah, but it was highly disrespectful and I think the kid was treated justly (the suspension).

This thread's title is in of itself is a similar provocative move, eating pork doesn't offend muslims, having it thrown at them does.

How often do Orthodox Jews get people disciplined for like conduct.

An ambulance driver recently won his case against the Montreal Jewish General Hospital after he was physically thrown out of the cafeteria for eating a ham sandwich. The hospital has since opened a non-kosher section in the cafeteria.

How often do Orthodox Jews get people disciplined for like conduct.

An ambulance driver recently won his case against the Montreal Jewish General Hospital after he was physically thrown out of the cafeteria for eating a ham sandwich. The hospital has since opened a non-kosher section in the cafeteria.

Re-read my post. I asked "how often do Orthodox Jews get people disciplined for offending them. They did not get the favored treatment that the Muslim kids did.

STRANGE. Both you and Dancer have got the odd idea that I somehow failed to understand the article. But is seems rather that you didn't understand it...

Really? I do? You may be confused. Perfectly honest I'm usually unmoved by your comments so I woul;d hardly take the effort to say that you have misunderstood something. If that was the case I woold be doing little else continously point out that you misunderstood something.....

It was a highschool kid bullying other high school kids. This happens everyday in every school in Canada and around the world.

We don't get upset about other such circumstances. It's not national news when a geek gets his books knocked out of his hands.

This article is stupid and so is the reaction to it.

It was a highschool kid bullying other high school kids. This happens everyday in every school in Canada and around the world.

We don't get upset about other such circumstances. It's not national news when a geek gets his books knocked out of his hands.

so, we shouldn't care until the geek buys a pair of semi-auto hand guns and murders 33 people?

I'd like to think there is middle ground - like, when bullies use racism as their rallying cry, their punishment be made a public example - so 1)put the bullies in their place and 2)disarm the geeks

so, we shouldn't care until the geek buys a pair of semi-auto hand guns and murders 33 people?

I'd like to think there is middle ground - like, when bullies use racism as their rallying cry, their punishment be made a public example - so 1)put the bullies in their place and 2)disarm the geeks

You may not have noticed woody, but no one was shot. The bullies may be in danger of being blown up of course, when offendi gets back to school after being adorned with C4 by his lovingly devout parents, but so far no one is hurt.