Who is to blame for the demise of traditional marriage

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, business and government are to blame 100%.

They have totally ignored religious views and have contributed to the destruction of marriage by removing the stigma attached to individuals who are living together under another name.

There are hardly no perks to be religiously married anymore and corruptness wins again driven by greed by both government and banks who don't want to loose out on a red cent.

They have totally ignored religious views and have contributed to the destruction of marriage by removing the stigma attached to individuals who are living together under another name.

There are hardly no perks to be religiously married anymore and corruptness wins again driven by greed by both government and banks who don't want to loose out on a red cent.

Religious views should be ignored when setting policy for this country.So you want to stigmatize people who want to or do live together? Oh man that is laughable. Religious nitwit thinking.

And the banks are to blame too? Wow, I thought I opened up a polynewbie thread.

Maybe people are realizing it foolish to stay in loveless marriages for "others considerations" Maybe they are realizing that man should never have agreed with the religious folk to "until death do us part" I mean how stupid a notion is that?

Lets keep perpetuating the same old dumb myths. Stay with mom, stay with dad , for the sake of the children. All crap thank you very much. WHy?.....yea. lets stay together honey, even though we fight constantly and you hate me and I hate you, but our children will benefit from us being together.

Yes they will benefit alright.....they will be just as likely as you are to be dumb people who will stay in lousy marriages.

Most people cant see the damage they do to their children staying in these failed marriages.

I personally believe that they should throw the whole laws regarding marriage out, in today's society they have no practical use. I believe that in our country today traditional marriage no longer works and is pointless. Because lots of marriages turn out lousy, there is no point in having them in the first place.

Religious views should be ignored when setting policy for this country.So you want to stigmatize people who want to or do live together? Oh man that is laughable. Religious nitwit thinking.

And the banks are to blame too? Wow, I thought I opened up a polynewbie thread.

Most people cant see the damage they do to their children staying in these failed marriages.

Well, it's a fact.

The building blocks that have created Canada up until recently have been created by religious marriage unions.

Traditional marriages are failing because of a break down in basic values and lack of support from business and government.

The emphasis to-day is on materialism pursued by both, business and government.

How can a younger married couple NOT succumb to the temptations of materialism when their budget simply won't allow it, but nevertheless pursue that path themselves and wind up in severe financial trouble, the root cause of marriage failure.

Why be married, when there is no real credit for being a RESPONSIBLE CITIZEN when you are no more recognized or respected for your efforts, than someone shacked up or living common law or simply having Canada's population replaced with non-Caucasian third world foreign immigrants?

You say: " Most people cant see the damage they do to their children staying in these failed marriages."

Well I say the same thing to the poor hapless children that are born to immature couples shacked up or living together and to the country being transformed into a multicultural Pandora's box.

Traditional marriage is failing---WHY?

Here is why marriage is failing:

1) Loose morals, popular culture and free sex

Folks that do not have respect for themselves therefore cannot produce off-springs with independent thoughts. Here is what I mean. We have created a sleep around culture: that if a girl is a virgin at 21 it is a major problem, if you are "not with someone currently" you are not normal, having no sex means you are deviant. On the other hand rampant sex such as Anna Nicole and various boyfriends/girlfriends, have you slept with her/him yet? a norm, examples to follow.

People are pressured to live up to obscure standards that their fathers hath slept with 20 women and their mothers slept hath with 20 men. The offspring can notice that the parents are not sure that they are compatible, so it is ok that parents continue with other usual casual affairs – a popular culture

And lets not forget, it is a couple hood time, trying to live together first before couple take the serious step of marriage. I mean hello why are you going to buy a cow if you get to milk it everyday.

Well the government wants a share in the milk so they endorsed the widely practice common-law...who needs marriage anymore

However, several long-term relationships can take you way ahead of the game and quite frankly you still get to say “I am single" - popular culture

2) Lose morals - standards

It is priceless, the fine character we can build for ourselves. However, I think that there is a certain private abuse of our freedoms and liberties, that somehow people are interpreting liberties we should cherish, grow and make it bloom for us, and shine in our own greatness by indulging in war, gloom, hate, defeatist. That indeed we have suspended the fine people we can become by letting in a person we long to be only as our guest.

We are simply not grounded in our traditional "roots".

3) I thought you are mostly referring to gay marriages, good one, sure shoots down traditional marriage

4) Trust of religion is a thing of the past. I mean marriages were supposed to be made in heaven and endorsed by the church. Even the church is low profiled nowadays. If there are two things that cannot be entrusted in the church, it is the claims of that of the learnt men (they still don't let women high in the churches), who are well-informed and speak of courage, and can show you magnificent results, but now they also glow with platitudes of infidelities and the fools we are to be devoted. Look, now we are finding out horror stories of little boys, little girls, with their trusted clergy and rumors that were hidden within the walls of the church system are for real. But, since it is a family board here, there must be some hope for the church, weddings and all and our belief that good churches were not built by bad men.

5) Expectation of marriage has changed. Traditional marriage women had duties. Nowadays it is expected that men share in the duties, far fetch still ... women still continue with 90% of those duties and they just don't like it

and so on…

Traditional marriage is failing because there is the problem of expanding freedoms and letting popular culture rule. Nowadays, we like acquiring things, money, education, # people we slept with and progress lots that way. However the way we go about the progress does not jive with good progressive morals.

Well we have not only rejected “Victorian age” but replaced it with sexual revolution---woot – meaning popular culture, free lifestyles, sexual freedoms, free love for all. Marriage is a Victorian thing, you mentioned “tradition”.

The problem is institution such as marriage, family, church, law is that it cannot operate in isolation like we cannot enforce a marriage on others while we are infected with popular culture. I think perhaps why the government allowed such a legitimacy as “common law” to lesser the moral conflicts, but as it turns out, it is a problem to content with, one of moral decay.

And yes, I believe in traditional marriage - man & woman, and also believe that sex belongs in marriage

WTF? Leafless, you don't blame Quebec for this?

But now that you mention it and relating to this topic: 'Don't Quebecer's lead the country in common law relationships'?

Not that I am directly blaming Quebec or Quebecer's but are they not directly contributing to the problem?

http://www.justice.gc.ca/en/ps/inter/uni_fait_que/index.html

Can anyone cite any legit sources that marriage is failing? All I am hearing is anecdotal stuff. I don't even know what a traditional marriage is.

A traditional marriage IMO is a traditional religious wedding or civil wedding, prior to SSM.

In 2003 in Canada there were 70,828 divorces alone.

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/famil02.htm?sdi=divorces

Traditional marriage is failing---WHY?

Hollywood mentality.....gimme,gimmie,gimmie I want it,I deserve it.

Another question, if your parents stayed married(forever), are your chances better for a successful marriage?

Like I said laziness, selfishness, and culture. How can someone want to be married, yet everything has to be their way? You can't have your cake and eat it too in something like this. The shit has hit the fan as far as traditional marriages go, it's time to put this old horse out to pasture.

Parents is irrelevant, if your partner is the definition of selfishness and laziness and buys into this garbage urban culture, you my friend are up shit's creek without a paddle.

A traditional marriage IMO is a traditional religious wedding or civil wedding, prior to SSM.

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/famil04.htm?sdi=marriages

Marriages have been rising. Divorces have been staying the same.

Historically, "marriage" has evolved and taken many different traditions. From polygamy and concubines, to Catholicism's anti-divorce clause and pre-civil rights era of prohibition of inter-racial marriages, "marriage" has never been a static condition.

Why so many people are acting like this is the first time in human history that people have tried to redefine the word.... is beyond me.

How can a younger married couple NOT succumb to the temptations of materialism when their budget simply won't allow it, but nevertheless pursue that path themselves and wind up in severe financial trouble, the root cause of marriage failure.

Why be married, when there is no real credit for being a RESPONSIBLE CITIZEN when you are no more recognized or respected for your efforts, than someone shacked up or living common law or simply having Canada's population replaced with non-Caucasian third world foreign immigrants?

You say: " Most people cant see the damage they do to their children staying in these failed marriages."

Well I say the same thing to the poor hapless children that are born to immature couples shacked up or living together and to the country being transformed into a multicultural Pandora's box.

If a young couple succumbs to materialism and get s into debt then that is called being immature. Has nothing to do with marriage. Single people can get into as much debt as married people can.

So, a married couple is to be "more respected" than a co-habitat couple? Really? No they shouldn't. I can congratulate a couple for their wedding milestones, but not respect them more. Thats ludicrous.

Damage children in a marriage or in a co-habitat one is the same. Why counter with that? Confuising it is.

I guess the fact that likely more immigrants hold the sanctity of marriage a bit more than natural born canucks means it is a pandoras box?

http://www40.statcan.ca/l01/cst01/famil04.htm?sdi=marriages

Marriages have been rising. Divorces have been staying the same.

Between 2001 and 2005 there has been an increase of 4,729 marriages while the divorce rate stays pretty well constant at 70,000 per year in that time frame. Besides legal separations or walk aways are not included in that figure which could push the marriage break up figure substantially higher.

Even with your posted numbers of slightly more marriages, relates your chances of a successful marriage is around or close to 50%.

This is supposed be good?

The building blocks that have created Canada up until recently have been created by religious marriage unions.

What type of building blocks that created Canada were created by religious marriage unions? seriously please give examples of these building blocks.

Traditional marriages are failing because of a break down in basic values and lack of support from business and government.

If marriage needs help from business and government to survive, it was not a good marriage in the first place.

There is no break down in marriage because of a break down in basic values.

Please provide proof of this assertation.

Why should marriage grant you any type of special status over others who simply decide to live together?

Non-causian foreign immgrants have nothing to do with other's marriage breakdowns, amazing how far some will go with their xenophobia.

Again a platform for your xenophobic rant.

So, a married couple is to be "more respected" than a co-habitat couple? Really? No they shouldn't. I can congratulate a couple for their wedding milestones, but not respect them more. Thats ludicrous.

Damage children in a marriage or in a co-habitat one is the same. Why counter with that? Confuising it is.

I guess the fact that likely more immigrants hold the sanctity of marriage a bit more than natural born canucks means it is a pandoras box?

Couples who get married regarding the 'traditional wedding', generally have a commitment and overall plan concerning their future life together and therefore could be considered more responsible than co-habitat couples who basically have a no strings attached relationship.

IOW it is an ongoing test relationship minus responsibility which could equate to irresponsibility and commitment and is bad news for children who could be raised minus solid guidance.

Relating to 'Pandora's box' - means all in all, is a combination of lack of support for traditional marriage coupled with common law arrangements, different religions with different views and religious laws concerning marriages in combination with SSM, all guaranteed in keeping the legal community very happy and marriage itself, a very complex ordeal.

"Marriage" is failing in your minds for one reason: people no longer feel the need to sacrifice their own happiness for some nebulous family image or feel the need to prentend that their abusive/loveless/unhappy situation is a "Father Knows Best" scenario.

While I wish there was more emphasis put on permanence in relationships among heteros (seriously, is there a single instution you guys *can't* sully??), I think the benefits of self-respect and strength of individual character far outweigh the "benefits" of staying in a marriage that is abusive, loveless or false.

I swear, you straights with your Anna Nicoles and Britney Spears and your 24 hour Vegas weddings, have so triviliaized marriage it's a wonder we gay guys even want to demean ourselves to be a part of it.