Michael Coren: Homosexuality Not Natural, Not Normal

August1991

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a monumental step forward in my opinion.

And why is that different from the COERCION from a tribunal funded by rich people with deeper pockets than he has?
It is not. I agree, the REAL example from the Opening Post is equally wrong as YOUR example. Do you agree with me?

He AGREED to settle the case for $1000.
He was facing legal expenses by the COERCION of a tribunal that is funded by TAXES and thus, has deeper pockets than does he.

So, he was in the same position as thousands of other Canadians who are charged with crimes and have to plea bargain, or are civil litigants against wealthier opponents. I agree that's a general problem, but my point here is that his settlement, however unwanted, means that we can't use this case to analyze the human rights laws. This case was never decided.

but my point here is that his settlement, however unwanted, means that we can't use this case to analyze the human rights laws. This case was never decided.
I like that point. It suggests that the plaintiffs preferred the settlement of $1000 over determining human rights from wrongs. They preferred a Hugo-centric law or arbitration -- as most people do.
This case was never decided.
-- because it can NOT be decided.

• 3 weeks later...
Michael Coren

I'll ignore the fact that Kamloops taxpayers will pick up the tab for this (why?) and get to the main point. How far does freedom of speech extend?

I believe there is a professor at the University of Western Ontario who teaches about racial superiority. There are web sites advocating that women and men are different and should be treated differently. There are many instances where one sex or another is ridiculed.

Should anyone have the right to say that "it is not normal to be a man" or "lawyers are not normal people"?

Yes, I believe that a Canadian citizen has this right of free speech (or free expression) and this right of free speech (or free expression) ought not to be impinged for any reason - short of civil insurrection.

Mr. Coren has the right to hate anyone he likes. He does not have the legal right to act upon that hatred.

I have the right to hate Mr. Coren as the hatemonger he is. I do not have the right to shut him up, or cancel his television show or put him in jail, beat him up or even to harrass him in any way. If he tries to act up his hatred in any meaningful way, there are plenty of laws that can be used to lock him up.

Until then, I could live next door to such a man (heck, I probably have already growing up in the suburbs). I would not taunt him, but I would not fear him. He has his right to his own opinions - and the right to freely share or distribute those opinions - and I will defend him or any like him - even though I most certainly am homosexual. Hate must be overcome, it cannot be defeated.

P.S. I consider my politics to be 'classical liberal', since the issue seems to be topical. ;)

The point was and remains Michael Coren by stating he personally finds homo-sexuality to "not be normal" or "not be natural" is expressing his subjective opinion. Its not based on anything objective, just his personal bias.

I find a lot of things to be abnormal or not natural and yet other people would find those things quite natural or normal.

For example I find Toronto Maple Leaf fans not normal or natural.

So?

Gays are gay because its normal and natural for them. They didn't ask to be that way. It is absolutely idiotic to suggest it isn't natural when every life form that reproduces has homo-sexual behaviour. Its bviouskly a population control measure naturally placed in life.

I could care less what Michael Coren thinks.

More to the point the man is bald, has an earing, has a lisp, speaks with a very feminine pronunciation and often dresses like a stereotype gay man with his jeans too tight and a pathetic ill-fitting leather jacket. For all I know Michael Coren is gay and can't deal with his latent tendencies so he constantly harps about it being abnormal because he can't harmonize his own gay tendencies with being Christian.

You know its b.s. to say in one breath you find homo-sexuality abnormal then in the next breath say you mean no harm to gays. That's a nice quaint way of trying to intellectualize bigotry.

Get over it. If you don't like gays don't watch and stay away from them and and please I got news for you Leafs fans Mats Sundin is gay. He plays hockey the way I would expect Manny Sandhu to. Oops was that politically correct? Come on lighten up.

I was listening to coast to coast overnight. A fellow who claims he was born a horse in a human body was the guest. He calims there are many other humans who feel they have animal souls. He came out of the stall so to speak. There is even a name for the condition, tesbian(?) Also claimed is that souls are recycled many times. So who knows, maybe we might come back with a gay or animal soul.

im not gay, but if you asked someone who was "did you choose to be gay?" most would admit they were poweless in the decision. whether or not its biological or because of social experiences as a developing child, for the most part they had no say, just as if i asked a heterosexual if they chose to be straight.

homosexuality happens in abundance in nature, with animals.

and besides, why do you care about someones sexual prefference anyways? if you quoted the scripture in the bible that condemns gays, many would laugh.

that angels came down and destroyed a city when they were not given the males, and instead the king offered his daughters...

im serious people, thats why they believe that god doesnt approve of gays.

and hey, did you ever hear about roman soldiers who recruited gays on purpose. homosexuality is nothing new.

and hey, did you ever hear about roman soldiers who recruited gays on purpose. homosexuality is nothing new.

Do you have any kind of a source for this? According to Roman cultural/class principles, this would be very unlikely.

No only that, but 'homosexuality' is a 'status' that was only named/defined in the 19th century. The ancients didn't think that way at all.

Perhaps you are confusing ancient Rome with ancient Greece. There was such a unit in Thebes (Sacred Band).

Just wanted to point out that the description said, "Should he have the right to say that?". And I just wanted to let the starter of the thread and everyone else know, that you all have the right to say anything. Everyone has the right to say ANYTHING they want. Just as you have the right to listen or not. There's no such thing as "Limited Freedom of Speech". If the word "peace" makes me cringe, doesn't mean that the people around me no longer have the right to say it. If a person can say, "Homosexuality is natural" then a person can say it's not natural. Just as someone can say cracker, another can say nigger. And if you preach christianity another can preach islam. And both parties should be protected by the state from any form of persecution. Nothing else matters.

Yes. He should have the right to say that. He has a mouth, Sir, and you dont get to decide what comes out of it. He is not inciting violence against homosexuals because he says they should be treated like anyone else, but that he views it as something which is not moral. A lot of people see things as not being moral. It does not mean they will raise up a militant movement to combat that which they see as immoral. Now while you may not agree with his morality, I dont see why he should not have the right to profess what he believes.

Sure he should have the right to express his opinion on this issue or any other for that matter, that's what free speech is supposed to be all about. The Gay community has no problem in immediately coming out and labelling anyone who does not agree with the homosexual lifestyle as biased, bigoted, homophobic, intolerant, hateful, and any other adjective to otherwise describe anyone who does not agree with them. They think it's alright, I think it's immoral and wrong, and I'm sick and tired of everyone in this country, especially our political leaders of being too politically correct to the point of passing laws that basically try to tell the rest of us how we are to think.

This issue is more about one group attempting to push their beliefs on the rest of us. Elsie Wayne got it exactly right when she said she could care less what people do behind their bedroom doors. and for them to just do it and shut up about it. I too could care less what two consenting adults do with each other, just don't expect me to either condone what they do or support what they do, because it just might not fit into my ideas and teachings of what is moral and what is not moral. Why is it that the Gay and Lesbian community tries so hard to get the rest of us to accept that what they do is either alright or as they put it normal? Why do they care what the rest of us think, unless they have doubts themselves about their own morality, and demand that the rest of us tell them it is okay? I say don't wait for my blessing, because even though I think it is immoral, I could care less what they do.

This issue is more about one group attempting to push their beliefs on the rest of us. Elsie Wayne got it exactly right when she said she could care less what people do behind their bedroom doors. and for them to just do it and shut up about it. I too could care less what two consenting adults do with each other, just don't expect me to either condone what they do or support what they do, because it just might not fit into my ideas and teachings of what is moral and what is not moral. Why is it that the Gay and Lesbian community tries so hard to get the rest of us to accept that what they do is either alright or as they put it normal? Why do they care what the rest of us think, unless they have doubts themselves about their own morality, and demand that the rest of us tell them it is okay? I say don't wait for my blessing, because even though I think it is immoral, I could care less what they do.

But should they have the same rights as the rest of Canadians , the exact same rights?

But should they have the same rights as the rest of Canadians , the exact same rights?

Including the right to take their lumps, yes.

I agree with Mcqueen. It seems like they're trying to convince everyone that homosexuality is normal, just so they don't feel the guilt. I mean, they can deny it's wrong, but when other people keep saying it's wrong, they feel convicted and guilty, and when your innocent, you would have no reason too feel that way.

I agree with Mcqueen. It seems like they're trying to convince everyone that homosexuality is normal, just so they don't feel the guilt. I mean, they can deny it's wrong, but when other people keep saying it's wrong, they feel convicted and guilty, and when your innocent, you would have no reason too feel that way.

That's the goofiest crap I've ever heard. Real "heads I win, tales you lose" stuff.

That's the goofiest crap I've ever heard. Real "heads I win, tales you lose" stuff.

Could not say it any better.