Conservative Anniversary

Unless Harper does more to appeal to Quebec or Ontario, he can't win. There's no more seats to win in Ontario.

He may have a shot with Ontario, but I'd say Quebec's a write-off for him. Just look at the polls, he's the most unpopular in that province. unlike the ROC, his disapproval is merely an indifference, there's strong emotions against him there.

Harper is not a write-off in Quebec...he just had a rally here on Monday.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He certainly has a long way to go to raise his numbers in that province. Perhaps if he gives them large equalization but then he alienates many other provinces.

The CUPE?!?

I know of no more irrational, anti-public interest organization in Canada outside of the FLQ.

The CUPE?!?

I know of no more irrational, anti-public interest organization in Canada outside of the FLQ.

And I agree, completely. Well said geoffrey.

There is one. The LPOC.

How can you possibly overlook the sterling work of the Public Service Alliance of Canda?

But as Catchme pointed out, you have yet to address any of the broken CPC promises that were raised by CUPE in that post.

In other words, had she (Catchme) decided to omit her source, you would be stumped for a response.

Read the threads I've posted in for the last 3 or 4 months and you'll find plenty of examples of where I've been extremely critical of their broken promises. Income trusts was the biggest, raising taxes were the second biggest.

I never agreed with the rest so I could care less what he does in that regard.

How's Harper doing in the 10 riding balloon shaped area near Quebec City which elected CPC MP's?

How's Harper doing in the 10 riding balloon shaped area near Quebec City which elected CPC MP's?
This is a key point.

The Tory numbers in Quebec mask the geographic distribution of their support. (The same applies to the Liberals).

The Tory ridings in Quebec City and the Beauce are safe (but not as safe as the Liberal ridings in west Montreal). If a federal election were held today, the results would not be too different from what we have now: about 50 BQ, 15 PLC, 10 CPC.

Sure. CUPE thinks it's my responsibility to raise others children. That's wrong in my opinion.

CUPE also thinks the $100 isn't enough for childcare. Well, CUPE is right. Where they are wrong is that the Liberal plan was budgetted to be less than $100 per child!!!

Now you tell me how you take care of 50 children in a daycare setting for less than $5000 total costs per month?

Their plan was another gun registry waiting to happen, Canada would have been crushed by the tax burden.

Geoffrey, you're missing the point. No one expected the Liberals to cover the costs of child care; parents still were expected to pay for thier children's care. The plan was to set up a system that would benefit Canadian families. Giving them money to find whatever patchwork care they can scrape together doesn't benefit anyone but the nice lady down the street who sits 12 children in front of her TV all day.

Geoffrey, you're missing the point. No one expected the Liberals to cover the costs of child care; parents still were expected to pay for thier children's care. The plan was to set up a system that would benefit Canadian families. Giving them money to find whatever patchwork care they can scrape together doesn't benefit anyone but the nice lady down the street who sits 12 children in front of her TV all day.
And Melanie, you're missing the point. The Liberal scheme on paper would have created a "system" but in practice it would have been like the situation in Quebec: long waiting lists and patchwork care.

If you haven't noticed, there has been a broad gulf between what politicians promised and what was delivered in fact.

The $100 and the 1% GST cut are tangible.

And Melanie, you're missing the point. The Liberal scheme on paper would have created a "system" but in practice it would have been like the situation in Quebec: long waiting lists and patchwork care.

If you haven't noticed, there has been a broad gulf between what politicians promised and what was delivered in fact.

The $100 and the 1% GST cut are tangible.

Quebec's situation resulted from trying to expand a system too quickly. The Liberal program wasn't perfect, and may have resulted in some of the same problems if provinces applied the Quebec formula without really giving it enough thought - too many places hold Quebec up as a model without recognizing the drawbacks they set up for themselves. Other systems can be put in place or expanded on with greater success.

There absolutely has been a broad gulf between what politicians promised and what has been delivered. The Liberals should have acted earlier. The Conservatives should have put more thought into their plans. The current policy gives money to families that they lose through their taxes, unless they are in the top income bracket - they get to keep most of the money. There is no real plan for expanding spaces, other than some vague "we will figure it out sometime soon". In the meantime, families struggle looking for care that is something more than just custodial, and are condemned for doing so by the self-righteous "you've been given $100, so you should stay home with your kids" crowd.

One long agonizing year, but still at least we can thank our lucky stars it wasn't a majority.

Good contribution as usual Horatio! :lol:

I think it has been a very strong year. They have run a competent, focused Goverment. Put *scary* *scary* *scary* to bed.

Now the focus is on a majority this time around.

Put *scary* *scary* *scary* to bed.
Heh, not a chance in Hell. You think we in the center right/center/center left/left are stupid enough to believe that just because Harper hasn't tried anything he'd really like to try yet doesn't mean he wouldn't in a second if he got a majority?

Talk about :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's like me telling you this criminal over here hasn't tried to shoot anyone since I gave him a water gun so lets go ahead and give him a real gun and turn him loose. The Conservatives know they can't reshape Canada in their perverted image without a majority, but they also know they can't show their real hand before they get it or else they never will. Now I understand they've already fooled you and that's fine, but don't come at me with weak crap like that argument.

One year into their mandate, and they have managed to accomplish some things. Yes there were failures, but there was some successes as well. The shift to environmental awareness has been slow but sure, and that means that there is some hope for citizens. It will take some time but we will eventually arrive at the conclusion that our society needs to evolve around human and not economic considerations. Money is not everything.

Canada needs to create its own identity at the direction of its citizens. We are different up here in the frozen chosen and we need to recognize that fact. We can build upon that fact. If only we can shake loose the bonds of economic desparity and political insecurity. Time will tell.......

Heh, not a chance in Hell. You think we in the center right/center/center left/left are stupid enough to believe that just because Harper hasn't tried anything he'd really like to try yet doesn't mean he wouldn't in a second if he got a majority?

That's like me telling you this criminal over here hasn't tried to shoot anyone since I gave him a water gun so lets go ahead and give him a real gun and turn him loose. The Conservatives know they can't reshape Canada in their perverted image without a majority, but they also know they can't show their real hand before they get it or else they never will. Now I understand they've already fooled you and that's fine, but don't come at me with weak crap like that argument.

Dude, Ricki's right. You really need to put *scary* *scary* *scary* to bed. Harper has performed admirably as PM and I am SO VERY HAPPY the Liberals are out of office and we actually have democracy in this country. I get giddy just thinking of a strong Harper majority for five or more years. We might have a transparent government and a stronger military and a greater voice on the world stage.

Dude, Ricki's right. You really need to put *scary* *scary* *scary* to bed. Harper has performed admirably as PM and I am SO VERY HAPPY the Liberals are out of office and we actually have democracy in this country. I get giddy just thinking of a strong Harper majority for five or more years. We might have a transparent government and a stronger military and a greater voice on the world stage.

You Conservatives need to give us Liberals a break when we argue with each other, we Liberals are at a disadvantage. At our very core we have this drive, this desire, this downright need to make sense that you Conservatives just don't have. And as a result we constantly get frustrated continuing an argument in vain.

Horatio is clearly a young Liberal thug.

Just goes to the conventions for the booze, schmoozing and easy/ugly broads.

Harper has performed well and the likes of Horatio are going to be left with their incestuous little groupies and that's it... :D

One year into their mandate, and they have managed to accomplish some things. ..

Canada needs to create its own identity at the direction of its citizens.

I notice you did not mention what they have accomplished.

Canada has its own identity the Harper gang would have us change ourselves to blend with the USA.

One year into their mandate, and they have managed to accomplish some things. ..

Canada needs to create its own identity at the direction of its citizens.

I notice you did not mention what they have accomplished.

Canada has its own identity the Harper gang would have us change ourselves to blend with the USA.

A *true* Liberal quote...comparing Canada right away with the U.S.

I think a Harper government may not be the best thing for the U.S., especially with his wish to defend sovereignty in the Arctic (I should add probably not the best thing for Denmark either), to build our armed forces into first-world status, and to stand up for Canada in the world.

I love how the Libs promise to stand up for Canada with their Trudeau-era rhetoric but then bend over for their Toronto business base.