Palestine: Peace or Apartheid

Higgly

Its also sad to see that any kind of criticism of radical Islam leads to accusations of bigotry. Mind-boggling really.

It's too bad too because without REAL discussion on what is happening within that religion from both sides - progress and solutions can never be achieved.

Let's have a logical, reasoned discussion on ghosts, the tooth fairy and sasquatch too. :rolleyes:

So, let's see. Cyber mocks the idea of having real discussion on Islam, but in the Radical Islam is wrecking the world... thread, he wants to have such a 'discussion' of Christianity. What a hypocrite.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, let's see. Cyber mocks the idea of having real discussion on Islam, but in the Radical Islam is wrecking the world... thread, he wants to have such a 'discussion' of Christianity. What a hypocrite.

No, I mocked the idea of having a real discussion about what's happening within any given religion, be it Islam, Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, whatever. You can't have a real discussion about what's happening within a religion, without first discussing the idea of religion itself. I'm sorry you missed the boat on that one.

Is this really that difficult to grasp?

The original post was calling for a discussion about what was happening within Islam. Having a "real" discussion about what's happening within a religion is ironic because religions themselves are superstitious, just like ghosts, the tooth fairy and sasquatch. I don't care what religion you're talking about. They're horribly incompatible with each other, since all of them think all others are wrong.

There's no sense talking about what's happening within a religion anymore than there's sense in discussing the tooth fairy. We need to discuss religion as a whole, since all of them address all other religions as being wrong or inferior because each one offers its followers the one and only truth.

My smart-assed remark wasn't that hard to understand.

So we were to glean THAT much out of you one line remark?

I will say this, you seem rather down on religion. Every time you reference it in general, you call it superstition and religious dogma. If you wanted to actually discuss religion in general as you claim, you might want to approach the topic in neutral terms, and then lead your audience toward the superstition dogma areas. That way you don't lose people right at the start.

Starting a discussion about religion with any form of 'respect' for its notions is practically impossible for someone who sees it for what it is -- superstitious bumf.

It would be kind of disingenuous to start a thread with, for example, "Let us consider the merits of 'works' vs. 'salvation'...", when the ultimate point of the post will be to show both sides to be ludicrous.

Starting a discussion about religion with any form of 'respect' for its notions is practically impossible for someone who sees it for what it is -- superstitious bumf.

It would be kind of disingenuous to start a thread with, for example, "Let us consider the merits of 'works' vs. 'salvation'...", when the ultimate point of the post will be to show both sides to be ludicrous.

Fig, that's way too left brained of an approach. That also turns people off at times.

I think there are double standards here, when discussion of Islam is deemed to be bigoted but the same standard doesn't apply to discussion of other religions.

is there a thread somewhere saying all Christians are murderous thugs? or that Christianity orders it's followers to be terrorists? or that Zionists should be deported to Jewish friendly countries?

what the hell happened to this thread?

Sorry folks but ALL so called religions have their extremists - the Fundamentalist Christians, the Ultra Zionist Jews, the Jihad Desiring Muslims - it DOES NOT MATTER!

Don't any of you see that this infighting is exactly what fuels the divisions between people? It is really sad to see this happen amongst a group of so called educated folk. One would think that Satan is afoot...

I think there are double standards here, when discussion of Islam is deemed to be bigoted but the same standard doesn't apply to discussion of other religions.
You're spot on. The actions perpetrated by Islamists are clearly indefensible in many if not most cases. Thus, it's bigotry to point out that sending kids to blow themselves up at crowded public places, or plunging planes into buiildings, is indefensible.

is there a thread somewhere saying all Christians are murderous thugs? or that Christianity orders it's followers to be terrorists? or that Zionists should be deported to Jewish friendly countries?

You and the left brigade have repeatedly tried to pose Christianity as the moral equivalent of Islam. In every thread in which the topic arises in fact. You personally prefer to harp on the "bigotry" of pointing to certain unpleasant facts about Islam while blithely ignoring the repeated attacks on Christianity, but it all amounts to the same thing.

what the hell happened to this thread?

Nothing has happened. It's still here.

Sorry folks but ALL so called religions have their extremists - the Fundamentalist Christians, the Ultra Zionist Jews, the Jihad Desiring Muslims - it DOES NOT MATTER!

That's nice. Only the Muslim ones seem to want me dead. I also suspect there's exponentially many more 'extreme' Muslims due to things like simple lack of worldly education. Easy to lead...prone to follow.

Don't any of you see that this infighting is exactly what fuels the divisions between people? It is really sad to see this happen amongst a group of so called educated folk. One would think that Satan is afoot...

It's a FORUM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Lisa: We toil in the fields and he drives around in a Rolls-Royce?

Homer: Yes, it would be nice if he'd buy American, but what are you going to do?

---Simpsons, Joy of Sects