'Come clean' on Arar, Harper tells Bush.

From today's Globe and Mail.

Canada will protest against the U.S. handling of the Maher Arar security file and seek an explanation of the government's behaviour., Prime Minister Stephen Harper told President George W. Bush yesterday.

The United States has to come clean and acknowledge its inappropriate handling of the file, Mr. Harper said he told Mr. Bush in a telephone conversation.

Good work. The Americans went too far on the Arar file. harper is going to take them to task.

So much for Harper being a lapdog of GW... :lol:

This is an interesting tactic. It can't backfire.

The truth will come out: that this incident was the fault, mostly, of the Liberal gov't. They tried to leave it to the Americans thinking if it ever came back to them they could blame the US. They washed their hands of Arar right from the beginning and that's the point at which the injustice starts here, not the US. So here Harper gets to win points for standing up to Bush (against all accusations of being like Bush) but when the truth comes out he can turn around and just blame the Liberals (where blame deserves to reside).

This is an interesting tactic. It can't backfire.

As history looks back on Harper I think it will show him to be on of the best tactical politicians in Canadian history.

In an era where a substantial number of Canadians aren't really willing to support either major party Harper looks like he will win a string of little victories on the path to the next election.

So much for Harper being a lapdog of GW... :lol:

What, this isn't anti-Americansim?

Seriously though, this is purely a symbolic gesture designed to create exactly the impression you're flogging.

I'm sure GWB has no problem having Harper make such demands of him, knowing that there's no political price for himself and a potential political reward for Harper.

10 to 1 odds Bush will respond back in a suitably contrite fashion...blaming some US agencies and assuring Harper it won't happen again.

Graham already apologied to Arar on behalf of the Liberals. Where's Harper's?

I think what Harper is doing right now is far more important and meaningful than just a simple apology.

After all, anyone can do the obligatory lip-service...especially when your political party is on the line. The Liberals do not need another nail on its coffin....especially a nail so big as this one...the vampire could hardly get out as it is. :D

What, this isn't anti-Americansim?

Seriously though, this is purely a symbolic gesture designed to create exactly the impression you're flogging.

I'm sure GWB has no problem having Harper make such demands of him, knowing that there's no political price for himself and a potential political reward for Harper.

10 to 1 odds Bush will respond back in a suitably contrite fashion...blaming some US agencies and assuring Harper it won't happen again.

No this isn't anti-Americanism.

Harper has moved the relationship with the U.S. to the professional level it belongs to be conducted on.

This means that when the Canadian PM has an issue, he calls the US President directly instead of calling press conferences or communicating via press releases. No MPs stomping on Bush dolls. etc...

Don't think there is no potential cost to Bush in responding to Harper in an appetizing way to Canadians. There has always been an isolationist element to the U.S. electorate.

My guess is Bush will issue an apology *after* the mid-term elections.

While negotiating the terms of 'settlement' with Arar and his legal team it would be self-defeating for the Canadian government to issue an apology. No lawyer/lawyers acting for the government would accept Arar's statement that he would not use a government apology, if offered today, to effect a more substantial monetary payment. Would you?

Arar is suing the government for hundreds of millions of dollars. How many millions he will be offered, along with the 'apology' from the government, and how many millions Arar will accept, is the question. I think an apology ranks second on Arar's Agenda.

While negotiating the terms of 'settlement' with Arar and his legal team it would be self-defeating for the Canadian government to issue an apology. No lawyer/lawyers acting for the government would accept Arar's statement that he would not use a government apology, if offered today, to effect a more substantial monetary payment. Would you?

Arar is suing the government for hundreds of millions of dollars. How many millions he will be offered, along with the 'apology' from the government, and how many millions Arar will accept, is the question. I think an apology ranks second on Arar's Agenda.

Very good point.

Welcome Alexandra. Nice to see a breathe of fresh air, and reasoned thinking, here at MLW.

It may rank second but it's deserving. A pay out doesn't automatically preclude a published admission of guilt in my books.

It may rank second but it's deserving. A pay out doesn't automatically preclude a published admission of guilt in my books.

Nope, but Harper is just being a shrewd. A public admission of guilt before a settlement can only make any settlement that much bigger ... and cost the Government more money.

Nobody is saying Harper shouldn't issue an apology. Just not yet.

Graham is not the leader of the government which is being sued by Arar. It can't cost him or the tax payers anything. I think most people would say Arar deserves an apology but Harper is right to tread cautiously on this one.

I would like to see a full inquiry...not just on the RCMPs role....but about all the politicians involved (especially Foreign Affairs)....how the system failed Arar.

The RCMP couldn't have been the only one who have some questions to answer.

It's well and good that Graham apologised....but if I were Arar, that would not mean much comfort.

What does that apology mean?

Apologise now so the Liberal Party can quietly fade into the background?

Silent and looking on "innocently" as the pressure of an apology from Harper mounts......the "outrage" of the lefties serving to distract from the real issue?

As Arar, my bitterness would be more focused on those sitting in government then...rather than the one who's leading now (who after all, had not had anything to do with any decisions about his plight). It was the Liberal government who failed me....terribly!

So all these people (reps from minority groups) who appear on talk shows berating Harper for being "quiet" and not issuing an apology....and Jane Taber too whose orgasm seems to be hanging on to this elusive Harper....they all just seem to be slyly using Arar to push for their agenda to topple the Conservative gov.

Unless these pundits and leaders of various minority groups are too shallow that they can't even discern where the true outrage should be directed upon: those in power when it happened. They were the ones who's got something to answer for.

So apology from the Liberals should not be enough. They're not going to get off scott-free just like that.

Especially when taxpayers will be bailing them out again....and will be paying for the price tag.

I want some answers!

Apology from the Liberals is not enough.

The head of the RCMP Commissioner is not enough.

Monetary compensation is not enough!

The Liberals got some serious questions to answer. This Arar Affair should not be treated like just any other Liberal dirt that the Liberals are trying to brush under Harper's rug.

As a Canadian citizen, I want some answers why a citizen of this country was just handed out...just like that!

As a tax-payer, I want some answers why we have to shell out this much money for someone's boondagle!

We've heard the RCMP version.

It cannot just stop there.

This will be very interesting to watch and see what the reaction Bush has. IF he admits its was the US fault the critics will go after the Cons again pointing out why the Cons should be thrown out, IF he doesn't ,he gets on the bad side of Harper, then its Harper's move, there's still the missile defense program that the US needs Canadians to join and there's the matter of US subs in the Arctic and I hear the Russians are in there now too. So this is far from over and Harper really hasn't shown his protection for Canadians over other countries as yet.

From what little I've seen and heard from Arar (through newsclips), something is bothering me. I find it odd that his focus for an apology is from Harper?

If I had gone through all the hell of tortures, and had lost a year of my life..........wouldn't my bitterness and anger be directed to those who has something to do with it?

If the system failed me....wouldn't I be directing my questions to those who were sitting in power at the time it happened?

Wouldn't I be pushing for the whole truth to come out....not just a part of it (with the RCMP)....but including those who were supposed to be representatives of the people...representing me...and are supposed to be protecting their citizens?

Especially if I want to ensure this kind of thing does not happen to anyone again?

Shouldn't I want to get to the very bottom of this? If I want vindication and closure?

How can we correct something we don't understand fully?

Does an apology, even if given sincerely, fix the problem in the system?

Is an apology...from Harper....the solution?

At least Harper seems to be trying to fix the injustice done to Arar. He may not have issued any verbal apologies, but by the looks of it....he is doing something for Arar!

On the other hand, Graham, representing the actual government who allowed Arar to be ripped from his family and this country, and delivered him on a platter to be shipped to a place for torture said "sorry." And that's it?

What happened to the question of, "how did that happen?"

You call that satisfaction? Some sort of comfort?

As another minority in this country, trying to identify with what had happened to Arar...I am far more interested in what the Liberals have to say about it.... than wait for an apology that doesn't really matter at all.

As head of government the Prime Minister is the only one who can apologize for the country, whether that Prime Minister was head of Government at the time or not. It is easy for the head of opposition to apologize because he and his party will not have to bare the consequences for that apology. Unfortunately law suits have muddied the waters and people in power have to be careful what they say, because we the taxpayers may have to pay for their words.

Says who?

This country is definitely becoming pro-immigrant, anti- Canadian and no way Will President Bush allow his country to be seen in that light.

This running to President Bush political facade WILL BACKFIRE, making Canada and PM Harper look the whining complainers they are.

This country is definitely becoming pro-immigrant, anti- Canadian and no way Will President Bush allow his country to be seen in that light.

This running to President Bush political facade WILL BACKFIRE, making Canada and PM Harper look the whining complainers they are.

What? Canada is becoming anti-Canadian? :huh:

It's a legitimate complaint and a matter of style. Martin would have issued a press release and done interviews without speaking directly to GW.