Quebecers intolerant of immigrants

Leafless

What's all this intolerant stuff in Quebec.

I know Quebec society are intolerant of the Anglos but now we learn they are also intolerant of their own chosen immigrants.

What gives? Is Quebec riding in the same boat Muslim's and Islam are in and that is is over sensitivities and bigotry and racist notions concerning culture, race and religion?

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...b4d&k=76406

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's all this intolerant stuff in Quebec.

I know Quebec society are intolerant of the Anglos but now we learn they are also intolerant of their own chosen immigrants.

What gives? Is Quebec riding in the same boat Muslim's and Islam are in and that is is over sensitivities and bigotry and racist notions concerning culture, race and religion?

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...b4d&k=76406

C'est la vie.

They want control of immigration - let them handle their own probs.

Borg

C'est la vie.

Borg

This is not about immigration per se.

This is about how official multiculturalism is fanning the flames of bigotry and racism by allowing so called minorities to advance their cultural and religious claims.

I thought multiculturalism is suppose to be the answer to 'eliminate' bigotry and racism, to even the odds, not advance it.

C'est la vie.

Borg

"so called" minorities

Why the "so called"?

Society can be broken down into thousands of groups with thousands considered minorities within those groups.

So, why is the 'minority title' given to only certain groups in Canada who have proven and are capable of acting as dominant groups with subordinate groups under them?

Why this senseless contradiction?

Why is any power advantage given to 'so called minorities' by our noble self righteous, undemocratic government?

"so called" minorities

Why the "so called"?

Society can be broken down into thousands of groups with thousands considered minorities within those groups.

So, why is the 'minority title' given to only certain groups in Canada who have proven and are capable of acting as dominant groups with subordinate groups under them?

Why this senseless contradiction?

Why is any power advantage given to 'so called minorities' by our noble self righteous, undemocratic government?

All I can say is your myopic anecdotal evidence is as about as selective as it gets. I would start with your premise, that only certain groups are called minorities and ignore the rest from there. I will say one thing, I hope to God you are a finite minority.

All I can say is your myopic anecdotal evidence is as about as selective as it gets. I would start with your premise, that only certain groups are called minorities and ignore the rest from there. I will say one thing, I hope to God you are a finite minority.

Hope to God you are not one of the selective Canadians who with the powers of 'official multiculturalism' chooses to discriminate against English speaking, Christian Canadians.

What I'am is a Canadian who upholds Canadian values and that is all that is important to me.

You are ignoring the topic and that is the damaging aspect of multiculturalism in Canada and how it is creating NEW levels of bigotry and racism.

Hope to God you are not one of the selective Canadians who with the powers of 'official multiculturalism' chooses to discriminate against English speaking, Christian Canadians.

What I'am is a Canadian who upholds Canadian values and that is all that is important to me.

You are ignoring the topic and that is the damaging aspect of multiculturalism in Canada and how it is creating NEW levels of bigotry and racism.

You wouldn't know a "Canadian Value" if it had a 10% off sign around it's neck.......at best you're upholding 1941 german values.....

This is about how official multiculturalism is fanning the flames of bigotry and racism by allowing so called minorities to advance their cultural and religious claims.

I thought multiculturalism is suppose to be the answer to 'eliminate' bigotry and racism, to even the odds, not advance it.

And how does multiculturalism lead to intolerance?

You wouldn't know a "Canadian Value" if it had a 10% off sign around it's neck.......at best you're upholding 1941 german values.....

Your post has been reported.

To whom? Ernst Zundel? Let me know if he's in any condition to defend the white christian values you parade around.....

It doesn't, it just gives bigots an excuse to vent and claim their racism is justified.

Multiculturalism itself does not necessarily lead to intolerance. But it is a fact in many countries do not welcome outsiders and are subjected to discrimination.

'Official Multiculturalism Policy' is what leads cultures to intolerance.

It encourages bigotry and racism.

To whom? Ernst Zundel? Let me know if he's in any condition to defend the white christian values you parade around.....

Like I said my values are Canadian and are mostly the same values as what the prime minister of this country cherishes.

Like I said my values are Canadian and are mostly the same values as what the prime minister of this country cherishes.

Are you saying Harper is a white supremist racist? Is that why there are so many non white non christians sitting behind him?

What I do know know is that Stephen Harper is a White, Christian.

Is this supposed to be EVIL?

Is not being a white christian something that isn't desired?..by ....ummmm...your canadian values?

.......Chaz....happy about the quotes now?

Multiculturalism itself does not necessarily lead to intolerance. But it is a fact in many countries do not welcome outsiders and are subjected to discrimination.

Ok, then how does mutliculturalism "fan the flames of bigotry and racism" as you put it earlier?

And how does 'Official Multiculturalism Policy' lead to intolerance? How does it encourage bigotry and racism?

Quebec intolerant?

That is a laugh. Of course they are. They are French - it is to be expected.

As for multicultural - and Ernst and such.

I find it interesting that the German can be convicted of a hate crime but the Islamics are not even mentioned for doing the same - or nearly the same thing.

I suppose multiculturalism has simply proved laws only apply to a certain portion of Canadian society.

Wear a towel on your head and do not shave for a couple of years and you can preach hate against the Jews. Wear a hard hat on your head, shave every day and go to jail. Gotta' love multi-culturalism.

Borg

Ok, then how does mutliculturalism "fan the flames of bigotry and racism" as you put it earlier?

And how does 'Official Multiculturalism Policy' lead to intolerance? How does it encourage bigotry and racism?

When I refer to multiculturalism I am making reference to 'official multiculturalism' relating especially to the 'Charter of Rights and Freedoms'.

Intolerance is basically bigotry and racism which can lead to outright discrimination.

You ask 'How does 'official multiculturalism' encourage bigotry and racism?

It does this by 'legally' giving a group or groups elevated recognition above other groups that do not have that legal recognition or simply do not have the numbers within that group to obtain the same type of leverage to counteract. As a result this could leave the smaller group open to, or prone to intolerance, legally speaking.

An analogy to 'Official Multiculturalism' can presented in the form of a 'winner' of some event and then the government comes up with a law, stating all other contestants who were included in this event will have the same benefits or even more than the 'winner'.

This of course does not make sense and neither does 'Official Multiculturalism'.

When I refer to multiculturalism I am making reference to 'official multiculturalism' relating especially to the 'Charter of Rights and Freedoms'.

Intolerance is basically bigotry and racism which can lead to outright discrimination.

You ask 'How does 'official multiculturalism' encourage bigotry and racism?

It does this by 'legally' giving a group or groups elevated recognition above other groups that do not have that legal recognition or simply do not have the numbers within that group to obtain the same type of leverage to counteract. As a result this could leave the smaller group open to, or prone to intolerance, legally speaking.

An analogy to 'Official Multiculturalism' can presented in the form of a 'winner' of some event and then the government comes up with a law, stating all other contestants who were included in this event will have the same benefits or even more than the 'winner'.

This of course does not make sense and neither does 'Official Multiculturalism'.

So, do you think that this intolerance on the part of Quebecers (the topic post) is a result of immigrants having "elevated recognition" above (or "having the same benefits" as) native quebecers? I don't think it's so much the fact the quebecers don't like the fact that immigrants have the same rights as they do, I think it's more that they just don't like those who are different from them (if in fact quebecers are actually intolerant of immigrants). That is usually what intolerance is about. In the U.S. prior to the 60's/70's, there was a huge amount of intolerance towards blacks, and they had LESS rights. So how does your idea of people hating immigrants because they have equal rights work in that scenario?

Secondly, how does official multiculturalism give immigrants more benefits than the "winner" (which I assume you mean native quebecers, though I don't understand how they've "won" anything)? The whole point of the charter of rights and freedoms is to give equal rights to everyone, not to give more rights to some people than others.

Quebecers themselves have become intolerant to others as a resulted of their artificial elevated positon afforded to them by Charter rights.

Some immigrant groups have also become intolerant to others because of their artificial positon afforded to them by Charter rights.

All I am saying is 'official multiculturalism' is magnifying and increasing intolerance right across Canada relating to all groups.

The second part of your question: "Secondly, how does official multiculturalism give immigrants more benefits than the "winner" (which I assume you mean native quebecers, though I don't understand how they've "won" anything)? The whole point of the charter of rights and freedoms is to give equal rights to everyone, not to give more rights to some people than others."

The 'winner' was an analogy to what can be viewed by some Canadians including Quebecer's as the 'White ,English speaking, Christian Canadian or the dominant group in Canada (winners).

For the federal government give away rights (Charter of Rights) to groups to 'equalize' the White, English dominant factor does not really work as it creates cultural sub-categories and results in minority dominant groups. It also discriminates against the White, English speaking majority.

Where is the EQUALITY?

Quebecers themselves have become intolerant to others as a resulted of their artificial elevated positon afforded to them by Charter rights.

But I thought immigrants were the ones with elevated status over native quebecers? So why would quebecers be intolerant of someone who is supposedly elevated above them?

Some immigrant groups have also become intolerant to others because of their artificial positon afforded to them by Charter rights.

But this article was about quebecers being intolerant of immigrants, not the other way around.

All I am saying is 'official multiculturalism' is magnifying and increasing intolerance right across Canada relating to all groups.

I know that's what you're saying, but you haven't backed up your claim by saying HOW it's increasing intolerance.

The 'winner' was an analogy to what can be viewed by some Canadians including Quebecer's as the 'White ,English speaking, Christian Canadian or the dominant group in Canada (winners).

Why, because there are more of them?

For the federal government give away rights (Charter of Rights) to groups to 'equalize' the White, English dominant factor does not really work as it creates cultural sub-categories and results in minority dominant groups. It also discriminates against the White, English speaking majority.

You don't mention how it discriminates against white, english-speaking majority. You are making another claim without backing it up.

Where is the EQUALITY?

Right here: 15. (1) "Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability."