Canadian Political Polls

jdobbin

I want to completely elimate government to just the barebones, I'm not really a fiscal centrist that's for sure. I still can't find anyone even close.

There is the Liberals and the Conservatives, and somehow I think if they all took off their name tags I really wouldn't know who was who.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to completely elimate government to just the barebones, I'm not really a fiscal centrist that's for sure. I still can't find anyone even close.

There is the Liberals and the Conservatives, and somehow I think if they all took off their name tags I really wouldn't know who was who.

That's because you are a self-proclaimed principled person who wants bare bones government as you call it.

Your world is divided into two groups, that very small portion of the world who shares your views and the vast other.

It is easier to see the world in black and white...

Or just in Liberal red in the case of the current Harper backers. But hey, whatever you need to do. I really don't see the point in voting for a Conservative if I get double the rate of inflation government growth.

That's the fundamental divide in the party. Some of us care more about results than about who's face is on the next Prime Ministerial portrait. I don't care about the later, the former though means everything. If Jack Layton reduced the size of government and got government out of my life (and out of the provincial sphere), I'd vote for him.

Then there is the partisans who would march to the ballot box and vote even if Harper decides to fly the flag of the Soviet Union. Why? Because it's not Liberal, whatever that means.

Then there is the partisans who would march to the ballot box and vote even if Harper decides to fly the flag of the Soviet Union. Why? Because it's not Liberal, whatever that means.

Kinda makes me wonder what's in it for those people. I can understand and respect your point of view...but I don't understand why some people defend the Conservatives even when they act more "Liberal" than the Liberals. :blink:

Some of us care more about results than about who's face is on the next Prime Ministerial portrait. I don't care about the later, the former though means everything. If Jack Layton reduced the size of government and got government out of my life (and out of the provincial sphere), I'd vote for him.

You consider yourself to be in the party? Really? But you definitely won't volunteer your time to help and you may vote Conservative. That's sure some loyalty.

You are better than all partisans because you have some Ayn Rand - driven ideal that you cling to despite the fact it is totally impractical.

Anybody who tends to believe in any sort of pragamatism is lacking your principles and must be described as so blindly loyal to the Conservative Party that they would "march to the ballot box and vote" Conservative no matter what the party does.

Sad, sad, sad.

The world is full of shades of grey. Convince yourself you are somehow better by clinging to your idealized perfect society. Condemn yourself to a lifetime of disappointment because nobody can meet this ideal.

You consider yourself to be in the party? Really? But you definitely won't volunteer your time to help and you may vote Conservative. That's sure some loyalty.

You are better than all partisans because you have some Ayn Rand - driven ideal that you cling to despite the fact it is totally impractical.

Anybody who tends to believe in any sort of pragamatism is lacking your principles and must be described as so blindly loyal to the Conservative Party that they would "march to the ballot box and vote" Conservative no matter what the party does.

Sad, sad, sad.

The world is full of shades of grey. Convince yourself you are somehow better by clinging to your idealized perfect society. Condemn yourself to a lifetime of disappointment because nobody can meet this ideal.

What? Is Geof not conservative enough to be in the same party with you?

Just because he actually looks at something objectively and uses common sense and doesn't blindly follow whatever The Harper says and does?

Get real. The Harper has screwed some things up seriously. Made some bad/dumb decisions and should be held accountable. Same as ANY political party and it's leader.

You talk of shades of grey and yet the world according to you is blue and red. Either you are a chest thumping Tory or a crazy Liberal. Pot meet kettle, kettle this is pot.

What? Is Geof not conservative enough to be in the same party with you?

You aren't reading anything of what Geoff posts. The Conservative Party of Canada isn't conservative enough for him.

Just because he actually looks at something objectively and uses common sense and doesn't blindly follow whatever The Harper says and does?

I didn't realize you favoured serious cuts in spending and taxes. Does that seem like common sense to you? That's Geoff's view, so that is what you are defending.

Get real. The Harper has screwed some things up seriously. Made some bad/dumb decisions and should be held accountable. Same as ANY political party and it's leader.

Wow. "The Harper" is witty and oh so pseudo-intellectual. :rolleyes:

Has Stephen Harper been perfect as Prime Minister? No. Is it hyperbole to say he has screwed some things up *seriously*? Yes. Should he be held responsible for the mistakes he has made? Absolutely.

You talk of shades of grey and yet the world according to you is blue and red. Either you are a chest thumping Tory or a crazy Liberal. Pot meet kettle, kettle this is pot.

No, my world isn't red and blue. Canada needs a reasonable governing alternative to the Liberals. Geoff is too principled for that. He'd rather have perpetual Liberal rule with a Conservative party sticking to his principles.

Nice little diatribe though.

Partisans and ideologes of any stripe might have to make a painful adjustment to a new norm - minority govts could be the new standard while majorities are the occasional exception.

A political stalemate exists between the two major parties - Liberals saddled with an apprentice on a slow learning curve and Tories on the wrong side of two intractable issues, Afghanistan and global warming. Both parties command the loyalty of only 3 of 10 voters, soon perhaps even less as new or revitalized players, ie. Greens, defy tradition and further fracture voter choices.

Harper's govt gives lie to the common sentiment that minorities don't work, only now is a steady stream of legislation slowing. In all of the rah, rah, rah, hooray for our side reaction to the latest numbers, we've missed the main message of every poll for the past 2 years - Canadians seem consistently satisfied to have any federal govt on a very short leash.

Partisans and ideologes of any stripe might have to make a painful adjustment to a new norm - minority govts could be the new standard while majorities are the occasional exception.

A political stalemate exists between the two major parties - Liberals saddled with an apprentice on a slow learning curve and Tories on the wrong side of two intractable issues, Afghanistan and global warming. Both parties command the loyalty of only 3 of 10 voters, soon perhaps even less as new or revitalized players, ie. Greens, defy tradition and further fracture voter choices.

Harper's govt gives lie to the common sentiment that minorities don't work, only now is a steady stream of legislation slowing. In all of the rah, rah, rah, hooray for our side reaction to the latest numbers, we've missed the main message of every poll for the past 2 years - Canadians seem consistently satisfied to have any federal govt on a very short leash.

Interesting post.

Having seen May's actions recently I wonder if the Greens have real staying power.

Canadians have a historical limit of three consecutive minority Governments.

If an election were held now we would undoubtedly see a minority Government again. Probably the main reason we aren't in the middle of an election campaign.

You aren't reading anything of what Geoff posts. The Conservative Party of Canada isn't conservative enough for him.

I meant that he is not blindly following The Harper and his party. That he does not worship the ground that the Harper treads upon. You were insulting his loyalty the party, with no mention of policy.

I didn't realize you favoured serious cuts in spending and taxes. Does that seem like common sense to you? That's Geoff's view, so that is what you are defending.
Ofcourse you wouldn't realize that. Because as soon as someone has a different point of view than you, they are labelled a "lefty".

Yes Cutting spending and taxes seems very commonm sense. Cutting taxes and increasing spending seems idiotic.

Wow. "The Harper" is witty and oh so pseudo-intellectual. :rolleyes:
Wow, who helped you come up with that big word?
Has Stephen Harper been perfect as Prime Minister? No. Is it hyperbole to say he has screwed some things up *seriously*? Yes. Should he be held responsible for the mistakes he has made? Absolutely.

Holy crap! This is a historical moment. You actually think The Harper has screwed up and needs to be held accountable. Unfortunately I feel these words are hollow, since your actions on this boards say otherwise.

No, my world isn't red and blue. Canada needs a reasonable governing alternative to the Liberals. Geoff is too principled for that. He'd rather have perpetual Liberal rule with a Conservative party sticking to his principles.

Again your actions on this board say different than your words. As for reasonable government, how much has this government done to suggest it is reasonable?

Well any Govt. that curtails spending and decreases taxes is a good thing. Too bad for you that the liberals have shown to be better than the CPC in this area.

Glad you thought so. Although I really don't care.

Yes Cutting spending and taxes seems very commonm sense. Cutting taxes and increasing spending seems idiotic.

Where are the Conservatives spending too much money? Which taxes should be cut? By how much? Made up for by cuts in which area?

Well any Govt. that curtails spending and decreases taxes is a good thing. Too bad for you that the liberals have shown to be better than the CPC in this area.

Different times call for different measures. Show any tax year with as big a surplus as the Conservatives currently enjoy in which they cut taxes more than the Conservatives did...

Yes you do. Why bring it up otherwise? :lol:

Winnipeg Free Press/Global News poll for the Manitoba provincial election.

http://winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/...p-4581317c.html

Doer is way out ahead for a comfortable majority.

A poll commissioned by the Winnipeg Free Press and Global Television has Premier Gary Doer as the only leader considered to be performing well by a majority of Manitobans during this provincial election campaign.

Fifty-four per cent of respondents to a recent telephone survey of 800 Manitobans said they rated Doer's campaign performance as "excellent" or "good."

Only 31 per cent rated Doer's performance as "fair" or "poor."

Not so for Tory leader Hugh McFadyen or Liberal leader Jon Gerrard.

Approval ratings for both had the two leaders in a dead heat, with 36 per cent of respondents saying their campaign performance was "excellent" or "good."

"It's clear that Doer's hands above anyone else," said Scott MacKay, president of Probe Research, the firm that conducted the election survey.

"The number of his fans greatly outnumber the detractors. That's not the case for Dr. Jon Gerrard or Hugh McFadyen."

Where are the Conservatives spending too much money? Which taxes should be cut? By how much? Made up for by cuts in which area?
Gee let me think. There is this little place called Quebec.....

Tell me again just how many childcare spaces have been created for the billions that has spent?

As for taxes, cut the bottom tax bracket by 3%, instead of a gift to the rich with the GST cut.

Different times call for different measures. Show any tax year with as big a surplus as the Conservatives currently enjoy in which they cut taxes more than the Conservatives did...

That isn't the issue. When your increases in spending out paces your economic growth it is a bad thing.

No different than an individual getting a raise and spending 150% of what they recieved. They are losing out somewhere.

Yes you do. Why bring it up otherwise? :lol:

Again your comprehension problem arises.

Read what I posted. The context is what you thought of my previous post. And I really don't care. Is that clear enough?

New poll out this evening, this one from Strategic Counsel. This group consistently underestimates Liberal support - in the last election they missed about 20% of that party's eventual vote.

Taking that into account it appears to point at another dead heat.

Conservatives - 34

Liberals - 31

NDP - 16

Bloc - 10

Green - 9

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...0518?hub=canada

Conservatives - 34

Liberals - 31

NDP - 16

Bloc - 10

Green - 9

I'm surprised that the BQ is seen as rising 5 points in this poll when it comes to Quebec.

The Liberals seem to be holding their support while the Tory support seems to be falling. The NDP are up especially in the west but only 1% overall. The poll doesn't show the breakdown in Ontario. I'd be curious to see that for sure.

It certainly confirms what all other polls show: Tory support is starting to swoon.

New poll out this evening, this one from Strategic Counsel. This group consistently underestimates Liberal support - in the last election they missed about 20% of that party's eventual vote.

Conservatives - 34

Liberals - 31

NDP - 16

Bloc - 10

Green - 9

This poll is similar to the Ipsos Reid poll of May 14th, both say basically the same thing about regional breakdowns. The NDP and Greens are raising at the expense of the CPC. Will those GP votes stay parked for an election or will they naturally go to the NDP, when people realize voting for the Greens is a wasted vote.

The survey finds that 32% of Canadians would support the Liberals if a federal election were held today compared to 31% for the Conservatives. This result puts the Liberals two points ahead of their 2006 election turnout, while the Conservatives have fallen five points behind their 2006 election showing. Support for both the Liberal and Conservative parties declined this week; by two points for the Liberals and by four points for the Conservatives. The NDP (17%) and Green Party (9%), meanwhile, both show improvement since last week. The Bloc Quebecois (8% nationally and 32% in Quebec) declined slightly over the past week.

Were it not for an evaporation of support in the West, the Tories would remain ahead of the Liberals. However, over the past week Conservative support suffered in British Columbia, tumbling by 19 points to 24%, and in Alberta, dropping by 13 points to 53%. Meanwhile Liberal support has declined this week in every region of the country except for Alberta, where they improved five points to 24%, and Atlantic Canada, where they improved by two points to 45%. The NDP and Green Party, meanwhile, improved their fortunes in nearly every region of the country this week.

As the voters weigh their options, there appears to be little comfort for either the Liberal or Conservative parties.

Conservatives - 34

Liberals - 31

NDP - 16

Bloc - 10

Green - 9

I'm surprised that the BQ is seen as rising 5 points in this poll when it comes to Quebec.

The Liberals seem to be holding their support while the Tory support seems to be falling. The NDP are up especially in the west but only 1% overall. The poll doesn't show the breakdown in Ontario. I'd be curious to see that for sure.

It certainly confirms what all other polls show: Tory support is starting to swoon.

How does it do that when it shows a lead that the previous poll(the one you kept repeating) didn't? This new one shows an uptick in Tory support. It doesn't really matter though. When an election is called, and the Tories roll out their now proven campaign strategies, the polls will begin to betray Liberals the country over.

Yes, catchme, and when the NDP campaign splits liberal support, the Tories will finally get a majority.

How does it do that when it shows a lead that the previous poll(the one you kept repeating) didn't? This new one shows an uptick in Tory support. It doesn't really matter though. When an election is called, and the Tories roll out their now proven campaign strategies, the polls will begin to betray Liberals the country over.

Just like how you were correct on the election results in the U.S.? You had the Republicans smashing the Democrats with tried and true campaign tactics.

Two months ago, the Tories were at 39% and even 40% in a number of polls. They now range from 30% to 34% while the Liberals have ranged from 29% to 32%.

It has been a terrible few weeks for the Tories and their numbers continue to head away from a majority and are solidly minority numbers or worse.

The polls show that the CPC are down 6 points from their election day stats.

And absolutely not sharkman, the NDP vote is the NDP vote, got nothing to do with the Liberals. And the CPC are actually bleeding off to the NDP, so much so we can expect seat loses for the CPC in BC.

What, the right of center voters are bleeding off to the left wing party? Nice try! But as long as the Liberals have to compete for the left with the Greens and NDP and the center with the Tories, (notwithstanding the Green's agreement with the Liberals), I can hardly wait for voting day.

Jdobbin, I believe you have me mixed up with someone else, I never said the Republicans would smash the Dems.

What, the right of center voters are bleeding off to the left wing party? Nice try! But as long as the Liberals have to compete for the left with the Greens and NDP and the center with the Tories, (notwithstanding the Green's agreement with the Liberals), I can hardly wait for voting day.

Jdobbin, I believe you have me mixed up with someone else, I never said the Republicans would smash the Dems.

Seem to recall you saying in mid-term election threads that the Republicans would triumph.

Quite obviously that is your personal opinion, as it has no bearing in reality, there are several seats nationally that are battle grounds between the NDP and CPC.