Bush Makes Surprise Visit to Iraq

Bush Makes Surprise Visit to Iraq

Myway.com

June 13, 2006

Excerpt:

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - President George W. Bush made his second visit to Baghdad since the 2003 invasion on Tuesday, days after U.S. forces killed al Qaeda's chief in Iraq.

"Good to see you," Iraq's new Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki told Bush as they shook hands in one of Saddam Hussein's old palaces. "Thanks for having me," Bush replied.

The White House said Bush would be on the ground for more than five hours and would also meet U.S. troops during the surprise trip, begun in high secrecy.

The visit, his first since November 2003 when he went to see U.S. troops for Thanksgiving, comes six days after a U.S. air strike killed Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, leader of al Qaeda in Iraq.

A wave of bombings hit the oil city of Kirkuk on Tuesday, killing 14 people, in what was seen as a bid by al Qaeda to show the death of its leader would not stop its campaign of violence.

Maliki was told about the trip only five minutes before meeting Bush and many of Bush's own aides were kept in the dark.

From Baghdad International Airport, Bush boarded a Blackhawk helicopter for an 8-minute ride in searing heat into the heavily fortified "Green Zone" for meetings with Iraqi officials at the U.S. embassy.

Only Vice President Dick Cheney, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, in addition to first lady Laura Bush, were aware Bush had left Camp David abruptly on Monday night.

Others had expected to see him at Camp David on Tuesday where a videoconference with Iraqi officials was due to be held.

Link

This trip was unexpected as his last trip in 2003. Liberals and the MSM were again caught off guard with this trip, they won't be happy lol. Hopefully this sends the Iraqis and the rest of the World the message the United States supports the new Iraqi Government and it's committed seeing the mission through. Of course the MSM is downplaying the significance of Bush's visit to Iraq..

This trip was unexpected as his last trip in 2003. Liberals and the MSM were again caught off guard with this trip, they won't be happy lol. Hopefully this sends the Iraqis and the rest of the World the message the United States supports the new Iraqi Government and it's committed seeing the mission through. Of course the MSM is downplaying the significance of Bush's visit to Iraq..

Perhaps you can explain why it is significant. Will it stop the violence or make the Iraqi government any more viable? No. So really, all we're talking about is a photo-op, another Bush PR stunt signifiying nothing.

It is pretty funny to see Bush supporters-the few left, anyway-echoing Stephen Colbert's remarks in an unironic way.

I stand by this man. I stand by this man because he stands for things. Not only for things, he stands on things. Things like aircraft carriers and rubble and recently flooded city squares. And that sends a strong message: that no matter what happens to America, she will always rebound -- with the most powerfully staged photo ops in the world.

Yeah, right. They won't be happy. I think you need to check who went on that trip with Bush again. As usual, your facts are bassakwards.

I sure hope that nobody noticed that Bush stayed in a U.S. fortress the whole time: they might realize that the U.S. can't provide security anywhere beyond their front door. I hope they don't notice that he had to undertake the trip without even telling his full cabinet because if the insurgency knew he was coming he wouldn't be safe.

Yeah. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. I'm GLAD he made the trip, and I'm GLAD his meeting with the chief executive went well, but there's so much obviously WRONG with the story as well.

It's all out there in the open, Johnny, in plain sight.

How are people like you duped so easily?

I think he went to support the new gov. and to support the troops. I don't give a rats ass what the MSM or the typical lefty thinks since it's always the same old same old with them.

You can bet the majority of troops over there are stepping a little bit lighter now. IMO, that's what it's all about. They've got the job from hell and anything that can help them is a big success in my books.

Yeah, right. They won't be happy. I think you need to check who went on that trip with Bush again. As usual, your facts are bassakwards.

I sure hope that nobody noticed that Bush stayed in a U.S. fortress the whole time: they might realize that the U.S. can't provide security anywhere beyond their front door. I hope they don't notice that he had to undertake the trip without even telling his full cabinet because if the insurgency knew he was coming he wouldn't be safe.

Yeah. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. I'm GLAD he made the trip, and I'm GLAD his meeting with the chief executive went well, but there's so much obviously WRONG with the story as well.

It's all out there in the open, Johnny, in plain sight.

How are people like you duped so easily?

Iraq could be on a turning point to better things and that makes those on the Far Left like yourself have a complete Meltdown.. :rolleyes:

Iraq could be on a turning point to better things and that makes those on the Far Left like yourself have a complete Meltdown.. :rolleyes:

I hope it is a turning point, I just see the good with the bad. Something you apparently aren't up to.

As for being on the left, I'm fairly certain I was voting Moderate Republican when you were still in diapers. If I'm a far lefty, then you must be be a skinheaded fascist who wear's a pee stained sheet on conical hat every weeekend.

Come to think of it, I've voted Republican more often than not: Arlen Spector, John Heinz, Bush the First. I never voted for Clinton, and changed my party affiliation for two presidential primaries just to vote AGAINST Cllinton and Kerry in the primaries (and for General Clark as the Democratic nominee). Of course, I've been VERY lucky: in the Atlantic and Northeast states, Republicans HAVE to be moderate in order to get elected. Moderate Republicans are the best problem solvers I know. Not like their neofascist kin.

Yeah, I'm some lefty. If I'm a FAR LEFTY then you have to be a nazi-skinhead by comparison to me. In a case of fair for the goose being grist for the gander, I'm gonna call you lump you with the Skinheads and Nazis from here on out. After all, if you think the folks who vote for Spector, Todd-Whitman, and other clear-headed Moderate Republicans, you'd HAVE to be a fascist to call them FAR LEFT.

Lynched anybody lately? Made any human skin lampshades? Surely you've gassed somebody? If you haven't got them, I know a place that has Jack-boots, cheap (hell, you might want to buy the boots I used for Halloween '02). I don't have a brown shirt, so you'll have to dig that one up on your own.

See ya round, Nazi-boy.

I hope it is a turning point, I just see the good with the bad. Something you apparently aren't up to.

As for being on the left, I'm fairly certain I was voting Moderate Republican when you were still in diapers. If I'm a far lefty, then you must be be a skinheaded fascist who wear's pee stained sheet on conical hat every weeekend.

Come to think of it, I've voted Republican more often than not: Arlen Spector, John Heinz, Bush the First. I never voted for Clinton, and changed my party affiliation for two presidential primaries just to vote AGAINST Cllinton and Kerry. Of course, I've been VERY lucky: in the Atlantic and Northeast states, Republicans HAVE to be moderate in order to get elected. Moderate Republicans are the best problem solvers I know. Not like their neofascist kin.

Yeah, I'm some lefty. If I'm a FAR LEFTY then you have to be a nazi-skinhead by comparison to me. In a case of fair for the goose being grist for the gander, I'm gonna call you lump you with the Skinheads and Nazis from here on out. After all, if you think the folks who vote for Spector, Todd-Whitman, and other clear-headed Moderate Republicans, you'd HAVE to be a fascist to call them FAR LEFT.

Lynched anybody lately? Made any human skin lampshades? Surely you've gassed somebody?

See ya round, Nazi-boy.

Geez, what is it with this guy? Maybe you should turn you ranter off for a while. When your identification with the left is in your own info at the side of ALL YOUR POSTS (left hand of god) don't be surprised if people call you a lefty. Just FYI

Geez, what is it with this guy? Maybe you should turn you ranter off for a while. When your identification with the left is in your own info at the side of ALL YOUR POSTS (left hand of god) don't be surprised if people call you a lefty. Just FYI

Ranter? Nope. Correcting fools like you probably SOUNDS like a rant to you because you don't know better: facts aren't either of your strong points, just slander.

So here's another update that might sound like a rant to a total fool:

"In the Left Hand of God" is a term that goes back a millenium and has nothing to do with politics. If you are a Christian, I'd think the reference and meaning would be obvious.

Here's another point to ponder:

Why would I diss Al Gore, Greenpeace, Hillary Clinton, reveal that I changed party affiliation to vote AGAINST Clinton and Kerry in the primaries if I were a lefty?

Finally, if some Nazi-Anti-Moderate-Republican like Johnny decides to call me a far lefty (an insult that is as bad as callilng me a neocon), what am I supposed to do? Let HIM label me falsely? I don't care if it IS his only mode of debate, that label will not stick.

Now if you want to side with Nazi-Anti-Moderate-Republican-Boy against a Moderate Republican like me, that's your busines. But if I'm what you consider a far lefty, then you might consider buying a brown shirt too.

It says, " Left hand of God" in your signature. If you don't want people to confuse that with a left of center perspective, then use the whole phrase - In the left hand of God. That and your Bush bashing add up to what sounds like a lefty, personally I don't know what you are.

If you don't think your above response to Johny was a rant then I'll leave you to your belief that everyone who disagrees with you must be a fool.

As for being on the left, I'm fairly certain I was voting Moderate Republican when you were still in diapers. If I'm a far lefty, then you must be be a skinheaded fascist who wear's pee stained sheet on conical hat every weeekend.

Come to think of it, I've voted Republican more often than not: Arlen Spector, John Heinz, Bush the First. I never voted for Clinton, and changed my party affiliation for two presidential primaries just to vote AGAINST Cllinton and Kerry. Of course, I've been VERY lucky: in the Atlantic and Northeast states, Republicans HAVE to be moderate in order to get elected. Moderate Republicans are the best problem solvers I know. Not like their neofascist kin.

Lynched anybody lately? Made any human skin lampshades? Surely you've gassed somebody?

See ya round, Nazi-boy.

Personal attacks like that are not even worth responding to because when they pull out the Nazi Card it proves they have nothing relevant to offer except bitterness and hatefulness..

It says, " The left hand of God" in your signature. If you don't want people to confuse that with a left of center perspective, then use the whole phrase - In the left hand of God.

THANK YOU. I must have been half asleep when I typed that: I use the location "In the Left Hand of God" everywhere, after all.

I comprehend the source of your confusion, I'll see to that right away.

That and your Bush bashing add up to what sounds like a lefty, personally I don't know what you are.

Yeah, right. Count how many times I part company with the left. Look at how I pan Clinton (both of them), Kerry, and Gore. See how I differ with liberal ideas about the "freedom" of recipients of aid. Check out how I side with a Christian movement THAT I THINK IS AS BAD AS ISLAMIC FUNDAMENTALISM on issues of equal treatment under the law.

Moreover, just because I have a Libertarian social bent, a classic just war philosophy (out of fashion with nitwits on the left and right), and think the Neocons are a piss poor substitute for Paleocons, that doesn't make me a lefty.

If Bush is your sole definition of the right, and the left is anyone who doesn't like him, then you really ARE a fascist.

If you don't think your above response to Johny was a rant then I'll leave you to your belief that everyone who disagrees with you must be a fool.

If I called you a liberal peacenik, would YOU not protest?

Moreover, my contention is everyone who can't tell the difference between a Moderate Republican from WAY back and a FAR LEFTY is indeed a fool. The kind that likes brown shirts. Anyone who thinks pointing out the obvious downsides of a situation is a FAR LEFTY when even the White House has learned not to celebrate or declare a "turning point" when it may or may not be must be either an idiot or to the right of Rush Limbaugh (yeah, the brown shirt thing again).

Personal attacks like that are not even worth responding to because when they pull out the Nazi Card it proves they have nothing relevant to offer except bitterness and hatefulness..

Personal attack? Like calling me a FAR LEFTY?

The Nazi card is usually inappropriate, but here it's just the mirror image of the FAR LEFTY card. You label me sa few MILES off to the left, so I do the same to you, on the right. I HOPE you aren't a Nazi, just as I HOPED that you might see the symmetry in accused party affiliation. Exaggeration, hyperbole, and smear in response to the same.

Maybe you really DO see Arlen, Todd Whitman, and even McCain as a FAR LEFTY, in which case, I've stumbled upon the truth while trying to teach a lesson, and you are one scary peace of work.

I think he went to support the new gov. and to support the troops. I don't give a rats ass what the MSM or the typical lefty thinks since it's always the same old same old with them.

You can bet the majority of troops over there are stepping a little bit lighter now. IMO, that's what it's all about. They've got the job from hell and anything that can help them is a big success in my books.

Yeah I can see how a top-secret, five hour visit in which the POTUS didn't even leave the fortified Green Zone (and didn't inform the new Iraqi PM of his arrival until literally minuteds beforehand) will come as a big boost to the troop slogging it out in the field. Oh wait: I can't.

Iraq could be on a turning point to better things and that makes those on the Far Left like yourself have a complete Meltdown..

Sure: but Iraq has been at a "turning point" and the insurgency in its "last throes" for the last three years or so. So excuse us if we don't soil ourselves over this little PR stunt.