Policy.ca Forums

Greg

• Forum Admin

Awhile back, Maple Leaf Web assumed responsibility for Policy.ca.

We’ve spent the past few months re-designing this unique clearinghouse for public policy resources - a site we’re almost ready to officially unveil to the world. As of March 2006, we will have over 900 distinct resources available on the site, all pertaining to public policy in Canada. This includes detailed information on policy articles and their authors, links to the articles themselves, and profiles of Canada’s leading policy organizations.

We are currently in the process of launching some discussion forums on Policy.ca, and I'd like to invite those of you involved in the Maple Leaf Web forums to participate. This is not an attempt to steal members from this forum to prop up this new forum - it is simply a friendly invite to those who are interested in discussing public policy in a highly focused manner.

Be advised, this forum is only for serious public policy discussions. Moderation of this forum will be considerably more strict than here on MLW and offenders will be quickly removed.

We are using different software to power these forums than what is used on MLW, so please consider these forums to be in beta. Your involvement will help us determine whether this software is the right choice for our needs.

Also be aware, these forums have not been formally announced to the world and will not be available to regular visitors to Policy.ca. We expect to formally launch this portion of the site to the world in the next few weeks. However, your involvement will help kick start the forums and will help us properly test this new installation.

Please visit: Public Policy Forums

Thanks for your involvement!

Awhile back, Maple Leaf Web assumed responsibility for Policy.ca.

We’ve spent the past few months re-designing this unique clearinghouse for public policy resources - a site we’re almost ready to officially unveil to the world. As of March 2006, we will have over 900 distinct resources available on the site, all pertaining to public policy in Canada. This includes detailed information on policy articles and their authors, links to the articles themselves, and profiles of Canada’s leading policy organizations.

We are currently in the process of launching some discussion forums on Policy.ca, and I'd like to invite those of you involved in the Maple Leaf Web forums to participate...

Please visit: Public Policy Forums

Serious policy discussion? I've registered. Who's next? :D

I'm there.

I'm wondering about how unweildy or weildy it will be to have two separate forums running though.

I posted a comment on a paper on Canada's Media Malaise, then came over here to post again as there aren't enough members on Policy yet to get a discussion started.

In my opinion, the two sites should be married to each other somehow. That would coax MLW members towards better information sources, and elevate the debate somewhat.

• Forum Admin
I'm wondering about how unweildy or weildy it will be to have two separate forums running

They will remain seperated because of the two sites have different audiences and different goals. Policy.ca is a more focused project. The rules in Policy.ca Forums will be more strictly enforced and offenders will be quickly removed. The forums at Maple Leaf Web are more informal and accessable, whereas the Policy.ca Forums will be highly focused and geared toward those directly involved in public policy.

I posted a comment on a paper on Canada's Media Malaise, then came over here to post again as there aren't enough members on Policy yet to get a discussion started.

That will change over time. I'm doing my best to promote the forums and it may take some time to get sufficent amounts of members.

In my opinion, the two sites should be married to each other somehow. That would coax MLW members towards better information sources, and elevate the debate somewhat.

Agreed. We will be pushing more of MLW's visitors to Policy.ca for more indepth information. on topics we cover. However, we feel that the forums should remain seperated. However, this might change in the future if we find that it isn't working.

I'm wondering about how unweildy or weildy it will be to have two separate forums running

They will remain seperated because of the two sites have different audiences and different goals. Policy.ca is a more focused project. The rules in Policy.ca Forums will be more strictly enforced and offenders will be quickly removed. The forums at Maple Leaf Web are more informal and accessable, whereas the Policy.ca Forums will be highly focused and geared toward those directly involved in public policy.

I wonder as Michael. I'm willing to entertain the idea of a separate forum but I'd like to understand better the reason for setting it up. Merely saying that the new forum will be "highly focused" with "strictly enforced" rules isn't enough.

If people like the old Coke, why introduce New Coke? Or do you want to have Air MLW Economy and Air MLW Policy Class?

Maybe I'm missing something Greg. Please explain.

• Forum Admin
I wonder as Michael. I'm willing to entertain the idea of a separate forum but I'd like to understand better the reason for setting it up. Merely saying that the new forum will be "highly focused" with "strictly enforced" rules isn't enough.

There are a couple of reasons for having two separate forums:

1) The sites are different in topic and audience. Maple Leaf Web is targeted to students, teachers and the politically engaged (i.e. political education). Policy.ca is a clearing-house for public policy publications and discussions, and is targeted to public policy researchers, academics, decision makers and those interested in public policy. Therefore, Policy.ca has a smaller more focused audience, as public policy is a sub-set of politics in general.

2) The forums at Maple Leaf Web are meant for an informal discussions concerning Canadian politics, whereas the Policy.ca forums are strictly for discussions centered on public policy.

3) There is a feature that we are rolling out in the fall semester that will involve high focused discussions between public policy university and college classes across Canada. These discussions will take place in the Policy.ca forums.

4) Maple Leaf Web has hundreds of active topics on a wide range of issues, the few public policy topics would soon be swept under the onslaught of other more popular topics.

5) It would be difficult and unwieldy to send policy.ca users to a completely different website to discuss public policy issues.

All I am trying to do here is provide a forum for those interested in focused discussions about public policy. Maple Leaf Web is an amazing place for someone who is interested in general political discussions, and I would like to create the same type of place for those interested in public policy.

I just need a few posters to kick-start the discussions over at policy.ca.

Hey Greg,

I'm personally not taking much in the means of public policy classes next year, besides a little on petroleum regulatory policy, but I'll pass the policy.ca idea on to any profs that seem interested in engaging their classes in policy discussions. Still remember a few from the poli sci classes, I'll give them a heads up for you.

It's a great idea, and would be interesting to discuss topics with people genuienly interested in how to change Canada, policy-wise, for the better. It will be great to discuss topics in a more academic manner.

Again, great idea Greg. The website will prove to be a valuable resource as well.

Cheers,

Geoff