Olivia Chow to make announcement today....

betsy

M Duffy is speculating that it will be along the lines of "you better support the National Childcare or else..."

He couldn't bait the NDP Strategist though...he remained tightlipped and just said, "wait and see."

Do you have the feeling that Harper might sell-out some of his plan? Particularly childcare...you know, with all these continuing criticism going on.

What if the NDP calls for an election? It might be worth it for them....who knows, they may end up sitting in power!

M Duffy is speculating that it will be along the lines of "you better support the National Childcare or else..."

He couldn't bait the NDP Strategist though...he remained tightlipped and just said, "wait and see."

Do you have the feeling that Harper might sell-out some of his plan? Particularly childcare...you know, with all these continuing criticism going on.

What if the NDP calls for an election? It might be worth it for them....who knows, they may end up sitting in power!

I don't know what Chow might say but the NDP might play hardball. They really have nothing to lose.

If an election was called so soon, the Liberals would probably drag Martin out of retirement and Harper would win a majority this time around.

If an election was called so soon, the Liberals would probably drag Martin out of retirement and Harper would win a majority this time around.
I would have agreed a week ago but Harper's three goofs in his cabinet selection have completely undermined his credibility as someone who will bring a new standard of ethics to gov't. He also seems to setting himself up for his next blunder by agreeing to discussion extending the daycare funding to Quebec beyond Mar 2007.

I'm with duffy on this one, the NDP will definitely play hardball, but I doubt they would call an election so soon. Do any of the parties have enough money to do that, we know the liberals don't.

If an election were called right now, voter turnout would probably be 20%, and the NDP would win a Majority, because its retard season :D:P:D:P

An election won't be pushed for now, by anyone. The NDP do have some leverage here though, and they might as well use it. It'll be interesting to see what Compromises harper will allow himself to make.

If an election were called right now, voter turnout would probably be 20%, and the NDP would win a Majority, because its retard season :D:P:D:P

An election won't be pushed for now, by anyone. The NDP do have some leverage here though, and they might as well use it. It'll be interesting to see what Compromises harper will allow himself to make.

The NDP has zero leverage, they've lost power since last election. The CPC holds the balance of power with both the Bloc and Liberals. Just have to convince one. The Bloc is easy to convince if you give Quebec some cash.

And if the Bloc votes against Quebec cash, Conservatives win 40-50 Quebec seats next election

The NDP has zero leverage, they've lost power since last election. The CPC holds the balance of power with both the Bloc and Liberals. Just have to convince one. The Bloc is easy to convince if you give Quebec some cash.

And if the Bloc votes against Quebec cash, Conservatives win 40-50 Quebec seats next election

Think things through a little more, I think the NDP actually ahve leverage here.

Firstly, the Liberals will act the part of the opposition, and will not likely prop Harper.

The Bloq are a likely candidate, despite ideological differences. They enough seats between the two of them, great.

And what happens to Harper when his entire government is premised on being propped by a party whose sole objective is to promote Quebec independence?

Harper will need the NDP simply to maintain an honest image, especially to Ontarians.

Sure, Harper doesn't have to court their favour, if he plans on being tossed out whenever the next election comes along.

Think things through a little more, I think the NDP actually ahve leverage here.

Firstly, the Liberals will act the part of the opposition, and will not likely prop Harper.

The Bloq are a likely candidate, despite ideological differences. They enough seats between the two of them, great.

And what happens to Harper when his entire government is premised on being propped by a party whose sole objective is to promote Quebec independence?

Harper will need the NDP simply to maintain an honest image, especially to Ontarians.

Sure, Harper doesn't have to court their favour, if he plans on being tossed out whenever the next election comes along.

I disagree, the Liberals will prop up the Conservatives.

They don't even have a leader, do you actually think they want to hit a campaign right now. Conservatives have free reign until at least next year when the Liberal war machine finds out where they are going to get more loans.

Something I never considered. How can someone support a party that claims that balanced budgets are a priority and the CPC will screw everything up... yet that party is the one in debt? Interesting seeing how poor the financial management of the Liberals has been, I sure wouldn't trust them with the country.

If Harper can nail the $40mil sponsorship bill to the Liberals too, they won't be having an election for at least 18-24 months, at best.

The NDP will have to fight much harder this time around to maintain a place in the media.

They cannot afford to really play hardball. Although they gained a few seats, their popular vote increased by only 2% despite the truck-sized opening left by the Liberals. This will not have escaped their notice.

It is more likely that the NDP know they are going to be on the losing end of the daycare saga, and are pre-empting their defeat with some firebrand empty posturing. It gets them on the evening news for a few seconds.

I disagree, the Liberals will prop up the Conservatives.

They don't even have a leader, do you actually think they want to hit a campaign right now. Conservatives have free reign until at least next year when the Liberal war machine finds out where they are going to get more loans.

Something I never considered. How can someone support a party that claims that balanced budgets are a priority and the CPC will screw everything up... yet that party is the one in debt? Interesting seeing how poor the financial management of the Liberals has been, I sure wouldn't trust them with the country.

If Harper can nail the $40mil sponsorship bill to the Liberals too, they won't be having an election for at least 18-24 months, at best.

We'll just have to see. Just because the Liberals are waiting on a leadership convention, doesn't mean they won't play their role properly. They'll be a strong opposition.

In my view, if it really came down to it, the Liberals would support the government on a "something is better than nothing" approach.

If the childcare issue was important enough to the electors, they would have voted against the Conservative plan...they didn't...so to try and go back to them WEEKS after an election and tell them the reason is the CPC childcare policy is bad...Yikes!

The NDP is to be commended for keeping things interesting, but on this one, Harper can act like a majority and get away with it.

FTA

The Conservatives are being shrewd in putting forth their childcare plan now. They should also stick to their guns and make little or no changes to it. That and the GST should be dealt with ASAP. They should strike while the iron is hot and nobody wants to force an election again.

The other parts of their five priorities are far less contentious and the Government should be able to find support in the commons for parts of it.

If the childcare issue was important enough to the electors, they would have voted against the Conservative plan...they didn't...so to try and go back to them WEEKS after an election and tell them the reason is the CPC childcare policy is bad...Yikes!

The NDP is to be commended for keeping things interesting, but on this one, Harper can act like a majority and get away with it.

Why is it that people have to pigeon hole parties etc. The Bloc is a seperatist party but if yoy look hard at where most of its support comes from it is from people who do not want anything to do with the Liberals and were scareed by the tactics of the other parties about Harper. These kind of people probably make up half the votes the Bloc got. Now since Quebec already has a daycare plan and has been quite successful with it, the only thing they want from the Government is the money that others would have spent on getting their daycare up and running.

The Bloc could very well support the Harper clan, and there would be no backlash from this happening, at least not from anyone with any semblence of intelligence. Only those who woould say a bloc vote is not a real vote, are the ones who will cry about it, and if you ask me Canada would be better off without thezse types, but because we are free thinking people we tolerate them.

Being accountable in government, isd also being realistic. The PC's were elected on their platform and everything in that platform was spoken to in the vote. Now we all can pretty much say that the only reason Harper did not get a majority was because the liberal withheld the Dingwall affair and once again used way over the top scare tactics to hold Harper to a minority. Even the Liberal were surprised that they got as many seats as they did. So now Harper has been given a Mandate, and in that mandate the majority of Canadians agreed with the Child care bonus plan Harper put forward, People also wanted the cut to the GST, and lets not forget that above all else they want the PC plan to clean up politics, which does go well beyond even Gomery's points as well. We know they liked these because you saw the spikes in support after each of these were made, and so for any party in an minority situation to try and hold ransome any of these things, is just plain wrong. If any of them were to attempt to bring down the house over them, it would mean political suicide for them. Gilles Duceppe has already said he would not bring down the house over any of these, and he would support these actions. That will give Harper all the support he needs. If the rest want to go on record as being against these things then they will see what happens next election.

For now I do not see any party even trying to bring the government down. The only party that has any money to be had for another election would be the PC's as they doubled their party support over the last election and it seems that they are still doing quite well with support still on going. So yes Harper has a minority, and anyone who wants to start a bill to bring down this government , had better be sure of the grounds of that bill are what Canadians really will rally around, because if they error in this, they will pay a big price.

Fixer:

I didn't pigeon hole anybody. I was merely stating what the party stand for, and you can take that right off of their party website fixer. This isn't me over simplifying, or spreading fiction.

And I said that it would not be good for Harper's image. Your rant abgout the low intelligence of voters like me is precious, but means little.

Tell me, is the Bloc not a party that represents the separatist movement in Quebec? Whether or not their votes come from people who agree with that policy is not the point here. That's the image of the party, and a self-constructed image at that.

You can call the whole of Canada idiotic if you want, but that doesn;t change the fact that if Stephen harper relies solely on the BQ to get legislation, it will have a negative impact on his image.

As for your point on a party holding the Conservatigves ransom on points that you seem to believe are automatically supoorted b a majority of Canadians, that's called politics. The COnservatives made their attempt at holding the Liberals hostage last Spring, and it flopped. Why should parties treat them any differently?

And Canada is not better off without any voters, no matter what you may asusme of their intelligence. If you ask me, Canada is better off withou tpeople making over generalizing statements like that; calling anyone who doesn't agree with them idiots. You remind me of the now infamous poster Sam, only you have a better grasp of the English language.

If you honestly think that the Dingwall affair is what held the Conservatives out of majority government, then you know very little about that entire debacle.

He may not truly be entitled to that payoff, but then you blame the INDEPENDANT tribunal that awarded it to him.

Kincora

The Bloc alos has publicly said that the votes and the support they have right now was not given to them for the mandate of seperation. While that is the party's main goal, they have said they would hold election on those exact points before they would take that kind of action. I do believe I take their word over most other party leaders. So NO The BLOC AS IT STANDS FROM THIS VOTE WAS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF SEPERATION. It is only the foolishness of those who want to use this stuff for playing politics, that really do the country harm. Yes, that does sound like you. Hell, the fact that scumbag liberals would support Harper would be more damaging then the Bloc. The balance of power is with the bloc and a great many of the things that Harper wants past will be supported by the bloc. Did Martin get flack when the Bloc supported the liberals in 82 bills during the government?

Harper does not need to worry about the block supporting him as they still are a valid federal party. Only sick liberals, try to demean the value of their votes, but it garners the same as any other vote.

The fact that Dingwal's deal was covered over in the 3 days leading up to the vote, is pretty much a sure thing that Liberals would have lost many more seats, as many voters reported making up their minds in the Ballot box, and believe me another scandel was problably more then anyone would have liked and it would have stooped the way over the top vilifaction of Harper in the last days. That I would bet would have really changed the landscape. But it does not matter Liberals are now in meltdown and it will become apparent soon just how long it will take to rebuild.

Jack Layton has to get it into his head that he does not hold the balance of power, so he has no potency. He may try to may deals for NDP support but he will not be able to blackmail Harper like he did Martin. You will see this is so quite soon.

Dingwall didn't deserve a dime. Dont' kid yourself, he tendered his resignation, in his words, he admitted before the tribunal that he quit.

Give it up, the guy got bought out by the LPC.

Give me a sou8rce on that Geoff, because the tribunal fidings I read found that he had been forced out of his job, and the Liberalas acted on those fkndings. I won't give up on the facts, as painful as they may be to some.

He was bought out, yes, as any wrongfully dismissed employee ought to be.

You are trying to blame the LPC for then findings of an independant tribunal, and that's just idiotic Geoff.

You give it up, you're just spinning tales.

Kincora

The Bloc alos has publicly said that the votes and the support they have right now was not given to them for the mandate of seperation. While that is the party's main goal, they have said they would hold election on those exact points before they would take that kind of action. I do believe I take their word over most other party leaders. So NO The BLOC AS IT STANDS FROM THIS VOTE WAS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT OF SEPERATION. It is only the foolishness of those who want to use this stuff for playing politics, that really do the country harm. Yes, that does sound like you. Hell, the fact that scumbag liberals would support Harper would be more damaging then the Bloc. The balance of power is with the bloc and a great many of the things that Harper wants past will be supported by the bloc. Did Martin get flack when the Bloc supported the liberals in 82 bills during the government?

Harper does not need to worry about the block supporting him as they still are a valid federal party. Only sick liberals, try to demean the value of their votes, but it garners the same as any other vote.

The fact that Dingwal's deal was covered over in the 3 days leading up to the vote, is pretty much a sure thing that Liberals would have lost many more seats, as many voters reported making up their minds in the Ballot box, and believe me another scandel was problably more then anyone would have liked and it would have stooped the way over the top vilifaction of Harper in the last days. That I would bet would have really changed the landscape. But it does not matter Liberals are now in meltdown and it will become apparent soon just how long it will take to rebuild.

Jack Layton has to get it into his head that he does not hold the balance of power, so he has no potency. He may try to may deals for NDP support but he will not be able to blackmail Harper like he did Martin. You will see this is so quite soon.

The BQ is based on the premise of Quebec independance. All I'm saying is that if Harper relies on them for support, it will diminish his image with hard line federalists.

You are a complete and utter fool fixer. You're warping my words into some thing else entirely, and I have no patience for that.

Play poolitics? What are you talking aboput? I am not playing politics. I am posting my opnion, and I am allowed to do so. The country is not better off without me becvause I happen to believe that harper's image will be tarnished if he relies on the BQ.

That is exactly what you've said, and you've infuriated me in doing so. I've got no patience for neanderthals like you who see everything in black and white, your way or the highway.

Other people ARE entitled to differeing opinions, despite what scumbags like you think, and I will not let you insult me personally just because I do not see things eye to eye with you. People like YOu are what's wrong with the country. Complete extremists who have absolutely no room to accomodate differing trends, or even differing strains of thought.

Yes, that's you, to a tee. Halfwit, accept that there are other positions out there other than the 3.0 Conservative point of view.

You say Ia scandal deprived the Conservatives of a moajority, I say the fabrication of a non-existant scandal would have damaged the Conservatives, so they are better off to have had this pass over after the votes were counted.

Uh oh...I am deviating from your track again...am I bad for the country...?

Moron.

And the worse thing about people like you is that, after the fact, you will probably realize that you are in the wrong, but you will never bring yourself to apologize or move half an inch.

Kincora:

In the House of Commons daily question period, Prime Minister Paul Martin told MPs that he had accepted Dingwall's resignation, and made it clear he still supported the former Liberal cabinet minister.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...?hub=TopStories

He quit. End of story, the guy tendered his resignation. He quit. Its over, he doesn't deserve a dime.

Actually Kincora, why don't I just show you the statement by Mister Dingbat (I had to make the MacKay joke, even if it's ridiculous)... that should put this abuse to rest once and for all:

Statement by David C. Dingwall, President and CEO, The Royal Canadian Mint

OTTAWA, Sept. 28 /CNW Telbec/ - Earlier today I sent a letter to the

Prime Minister and to the Chairperson of the Board tendering my resignation as

President and CEO of the Royal Canadian Mint.

During the summer months, I had a rare opportunity to take some time to

reflect on my career with my wife, my family, and some close friends. I told

them that I would more than likely be leaving my position as CEO some time

over the next number of months in order to pursue a number of projects. I am

fortunate that I have the health and quite a number of years left in me to

devote to a new chapter in my career.

Central to my decision was the achievement of the goals that I set out in

consultation with the Board of Directors and the Government of Canada. I have

spent the past two-and-a-half years devoting many long hours to the challenges

and responsibilities of turning around the Royal Canadian Mint, with a strong,

dedicated team of executives and hard-working employees. Together we have

accomplished many things:

- Early in my tenure, we were able to stablize the organization's

financial situation;

- In 2004, we returned the Mint to profitability with a pre-tax profit

of $15.9 million and paid a dividend to the Government of Canada of

$1 million;

- We have significantly grown the business; in 2004, Mint revenues

increased by $70 million. Moreover, year-to-date August 2005,

revenues increased $35 million over the same period 2004;

- In 2004, we returned $64 million dollars in seigniorage to the

shareholder, the Government of Canada;

- Through the adoption of lean enterprise, we have increased

productivity and focused on our customers;

- And we have maintained an open dialogue and positive relationships

with our two unions.

Recently, there have been some media stories regarding the work I

undertook on behalf of two technology companies seeking investment from

Technology Partnership Canada.

I will simply say that I worked very hard on each and every one of the

contracts and did, to the best of my knowledge and ability, comply with all

aspects of the Act governing the government relations business. If there was a

registration problem or other technical compliance issue on one of the

contracts, then that is entirely my responsibility.

With regard to the issue of my expenses, all of the expenses were related

to my responsibilities and each of them were disclosed to the Board and will

stand up to scrutiny as completely appropriate to my role as President of the

Mint. I have asked the Board to strike an independent committee to review all

of the expenses and I will abide by any findings the committee may have with

regard to their appropriateness.

However, given the profile that these stories have, I certainly do not

want to detract in any way from the important work of the Mint. So, rather

than wait the few months to make the move to the next stage of my life, I am

taking this opportunity to leave. I do so with pride in the work we have

achieved together.

I will always cherish the friendships and the honour of serving the

Government as the President of the Mint and I look forward to a new chapter in

my life.

For further information: please contact: Pam Aung Thin, Vice-President

Communications, (613) 993-5092, (613) 991-5342, Cellular: (613) 220-5096,

[email protected]

Archived images on this organization are searchable through CNW Photo Archive

website at http://photos.newswire.ca. Images are free to accredited members

Bullshit, the guy doesn't deserve anything.