We have a radical democracy. Will Trump voters destroy it?

We have a radical democracy. Will Trump voters destroy it?

For some time, it was possible to believe that many voters could not see the threat Donald Trump poses to America’s liberal democracy, and many still profess not to see it. But now, a little more than six months from Election Day, it’s hard to believe they don’t. The warning signs are clear enough. Trump himself offers a new reason for concern almost every day. People may choose to ignore the warnings or persuade themselves not to worry, but they can see what we all see, and that should be enough.

How to explain their willingness to support Trump despite the risk he poses to our system of government? The answer is not rapidly changing technology, widening inequality, unsuccessful foreign policies or unrest on university campuses but something much deeper and more fundamental. It is what the Founders worried about and Abraham Lincoln warned about: a decline in what they called public virtue. They feared it would be hard to sustain popular support for the revolutionary liberal principles of the Declaration of Independence, and they worried that the virtuous love of liberty and equality would in time give way to narrow, selfish interest. Although James Madison and his colleagues hoped to establish a government on the solid foundation of self-interest, even Madison acknowledged that no government by the people could be sustained if the people themselves did not have sufficient dedication to the liberal ideals of the Declaration. The people had to love liberty, not just for themselves but as an abstract ideal for all humans.

Americans are going down this route today because too many no longer care enough whether the system the Founders created survives and are ceding the ground to those, led by Trump, who actively seek to overthrow what so many of them call “the regime.” This “regime” they are referring to is the unique political system established by the Founders based on the principles of universal equality and natural rights. That, plain and simple, is what this election is about. “A republic if you can keep it,” Benjamin Franklin allegedly said of the government created by the Constitutional Convention in 1787. This is the year we may choose not to keep it.

If the American system of government fails this year, it will not be because the institutions established by the Founders failed. It will not be because of new technologies or flaws in the Constitution. No system of government can protect against a determined tyrant. Only the people can. This year we will learn if they will. 

I'm guessing too many HERE will NOT, but fortunately many of them are Canadian and cannot vote for Trump.

14.png
LMAO
  • Thanks 1

All this article does is spout off platitudes and presumes that the assumptions are correct so the conclusion is correct. The reality is far different. Joe Biden has done more to damage our democratic republic by forgoing the legislative process and the SCOTUS rulings to allow illegal immigration at unprecedented levels, giving away billions to people in a vote buying scheme know as college debt relief and he has been so inept at foreign policy that we have simultaneous wars and lost dozens of service members in the Afghanistan retreat.

But you go ahead and believe that the corruption of the DOJ and the full throttled acceleration towards a pokie state/banana republic is just the thing we need to be democratic...because reasons.

Edited by gatomontes99

How can people say this garbage with a straight face when it is Biden's administration, not Trump's, using the law to keep him in court and making it difficult to campaign.

Yes it is Bidens administration, their lead prosecutor, Matthew Colangelo was number 3 in Biden's DoJ and left to work for Bragg. Hmmmm I wonder why he would leave a higher position in the federal government to take a lower position in New York?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fluffypants said:

How can people say this garbage with a straight face when it is Biden's administration, not Trump's, using the law to keep him in court and making it difficult to campaign.

Yes it is Bidens administration, their lead prosecutor, Matthew Colangelo was number 3 in Biden's DoJ and left to work for Bragg. Hmmmm I wonder why he would leave a higher position in the federal government to take a lower position in New York?

Not to worry. The trial will end, Trump will be POTUS and fire Colangelo and the rest of them.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fluffypants said:

Not only that but Fani, Bragg and the people in AZ all visited the white house right before they brought charges. But there's no coordination there. They are just visiting the Lincoln bedroom.

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

Not to worry. The trial will end, Trump will be POTUS and fire Colangelo and the rest of them.

I know you're just a rabid fanboy, but your crush--even if he managed to win the presidency--wouldn't have any power to fire someone in the Manhattan DAs office. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gatomontes99 said:

All this article does is spout off platitudes and presumes that the assumptions are correct so the conclusion is correct. The reality is far different. Joe Biden has done more to damage our democratic republic by forgoing the legislative process and the SCOTUS rulings to allow illegal immigration at unprecedented levels, giving away billions to people in a vote buying scheme know as college debt relief and he has been so inept at foreign policy that we have simultaneous wars and lost dozens of service members in the Afghanistan retreat.

But you go ahead and believe that the corruption of the DOJ and the full throttled acceleration towards a pokie state/banana republic is just the thing we need to be democratic...because reasons.

Reasons. AKA what Trump is PROMISING he'll do. Duh

In exclusive interviews, the former President lays out a second-term agenda that would reshape America and its role in the world.

4 hours ago, Fluffypants said:

It is what Trump did, which is keeping him in court. Duh

We know YOU MAGA CULT fanboys like to IGNORE THE EVIDENCE, but the RULE OF LAW says YOU CANNOT.

If you can't do the time, DON'T DO THE CRIME.

4 hours ago, Fluffypants said:

Because the SDNY was under Trump's thumb when they turned down the case against Trump.

2 hours ago, gatomontes99 said:

Not only that but Fani, Bragg and the people in AZ all visited the white house right before they brought charges. But there's no coordination there. They are just visiting the Lincoln bedroom.

Is ^this what they're telling you on FOS LIES? LMAO

5 hours ago, robosmith said:

It is what Trump did, which is keeping him in court. Duh

We know YOU MAGA CULT fanboys like to IGNORE THE EVIDENCE, but the RULE OF LAW says YOU CANNOT.

If you can't do the time, DON'T DO THE CRIME.

Because the SDNY was under Trump's thumb when they turned down the case against Trump.

When is Hilary getting brought up on charges. She did the same thing. She falsified business documents and used campaign funds (which Trump didn't do) when she paid for oppo research from Fusion GPS. She even got dinged by the FEC for it and had to pay 150k and they didn't find anything wrong with what Trump did.

I would say she broke the law and should prosecuted too. No one is above the law, right?

Once we are done I am sure you will be ok with Trump's DOJ investigating the Biden administration and the NY and Georgia DAs for election interference because no one is above the law right? I am sure they will just a fair and just as the Biden Administration, Fulton County and New York has been.

I am thinking Florida or Texas would be good places have their trials. I am sure they will easily be able find a fair and impartial jury in those states, especially in some of those more rural areas.

56 minutes ago, Fluffypants said:

When is Hilary getting brought up on charges. She did the same thing.

No she did NOT. She had no NY state business for which to falsify records. Duh.

She falsified business documents and used campaign funds (which Trump didn't do) when she paid for oppo research from Fusion GPS.

What New York State business? Campaign funds for campaign purposes are completely legal as long as they ARE REPORTED like Trump FAILED TO DO.

She even got dinged by the FEC for it and had to pay 150k and they didn't find anything wrong with what Trump did.

Trump dismantled the FEC authority AFTER he took office making it impossible for them to bring charges because they had no quorum.

I would say she broke the law and should prosecuted too. No one is above the law, right?

No one cares about your amateur legal eagle OPINIONS.

Once we are done I am sure you will be ok with Trump's DOJ investigating the Biden administration and the NY and Georgia DAs for election interference because no one is above the law right? I am sure they will just a fair and just as the Biden Administration, Fulton County and New York has been.

No one will be caught on tape demanding the SoS change the vote count like Trump was.

I am thinking Florida or Texas would be good places have their trials. I am sure they will easily be able find a fair and impartial jury in those states, especially in some of those more rural areas.

Only if you have EVIDENCE, like the EXTENSIVE EVIDENCE against Trump.

Of course, you don't know about that because they don't report it on FOS LIES.

13 hours ago, Fluffypants said:

Self delusion is the first skill they teach new democrats. One of the reasons they have more mental health issues.

• Haha 1