Israelis Are Hostages of Netanyahu

On Saturday, Israel was rocked by the largest demonstrations against the government since the war began six months ago. Some families of Israeli hostages marched to Benjamin Netanyahu’s home carrying photos of the captives, torches, and banners reading:

“WE’RE ALL HOSTAGES.”

Hostages, that is, of the prime minister and his incompetent government that failed to stop Hamas from killing some 1,200 people and taking another 250 hostages, more than half of whom remain in captivity.

“Six months later Netanyahu and his entire government fcked this up, and they’re still there,” says Itzhak Amar, a taxi driver in Tel Aviv. “It’s a middle finger to all of us. He’s just hanging on by his fingernails.”

On trial for corruption, unwell (he underwent mysterious “hernia surgery” last week), and clinging to power, the 74-year-old leader is also trapped.

Netanyahu refuses to entertain a commission of inquiry “until after the war,” a time he refuses to identify, presumably because that would finally be the end of his political career.

In the past week, prominent family members of some of the hostages began to openly say Netanyahu was sabotaging any hope for their release. On Saturday night, Katzir and members of numerous other families accused him of “torpedoing” efforts to achieve a deal that would release hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners and a cease-fire, which would likely fracture his coalition and lead its more radical members to bolt in protest over what they consider a precipitous end to the war.

Rumors have circulated in Jerusalem for weeks that Netanyahu has been slow-walking negotiations by refusing to give his representatives real authority to make a deal with Hamas. On Thursday, President Biden “urged the prime minister to empower his negotiators” to conclude a deal to bring Israeli hostages home, according to the White House, in a stern call after Israeli forces killed seven members of the World Central Kitchen aid group delivering food to Gaza. 

It is clear that Netanyahu has every incentive to continue the war as long as possible to avoid the legal consequences he faces. Just like Trump delays his TRIALS.

17.png

Israel is currently under a war cabinet, with the opposition party leader in that cabinet. 

This is little more than a left-wing talking point right now, trying to make it appear as if Netanyahu is some dictator. The man was elected to his position before this, and Israel has had an election every year or two prior. 

Israel is a Democracy. Netanyahu has been elected many times. 

On 4/19/2024 at 8:51 PM, robosmith said:

It is clear that Netanyahu has every incentive to continue the war as long as possible to avoid the legal consequences he faces. Just like Trump delays his TRIALS.

17.png

You once said that Netanyahu provoked the Palestinians into attacking Israel last year.

Where is the evidence of that? 

On 4/19/2024 at 10:51 PM, robosmith said:

When Hamas seized power in Gaza, they dragged the Fatah leaders out of their homes and publicly executed them.

I dislike Netanyahu, but that does not change a fundamental fact: Hamas declared war on Israel first, and they very clearly stated that their goal is the elimination of Israel as a nation. If Israel pulled out of Gaza tomorrow, Hamas would remain in power, and they would attack Israel again. 

So, kumbaya all you want, Rob, I want a two-state solution, and that cannot happen with Hamas in charge. They have to go. Who's going to do that? The Palestinians? Egypt? Iran? The US?  No. There is nobody who will do that except Israel. And the Hamas combatants hide behind children and inside of hospitals, deliberately, in order to fool you into thinking Israel is the bad guy.  That is the absolute truth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deluge said:

You once said that Netanyahu provoked the Palestinians into attacking Israel last year.

Where is the evidence of that? 

Where is the evidence I claimed ^this and why didn't you quote it when I supposedly said it?

1 hour ago, Rebound said:

When Hamas seized power in Gaza, they dragged the Fatah leaders out of their homes and publicly executed them.

I dislike Netanyahu, but that does not change a fundamental fact: Hamas declared war on Israel first, and they very clearly stated that their goal is the elimination of Israel as a nation. If Israel pulled out of Gaza tomorrow, Hamas would remain in power, and they would attack Israel again. 

So, kumbaya all you want, Rob, I want a two-state solution, and that cannot happen with Hamas in charge. They have to go. Who's going to do that? The Palestinians? Egypt? Iran? The US?  No. There is nobody who will do that except Israel. And the Hamas combatants hide behind children and inside of hospitals, deliberately, in order to fool you into thinking Israel is the bad guy.  That is the absolute truth. 

I didn't say "Israel is the bad guy." The guys who were really bad in Israel are mostly dead.

Netanyahu and his extreme right wing coalition government are the current bad guys who will never agree to, and actively sabotage, the two state solution. That is why they encouraged Qatris to send $100s of millions to fund Hamas including just 3 weeks before the Hamas invasion.

10 minutes ago, robosmith said:

Where is the evidence I claimed ^this and why didn't you quote it when I supposedly said it?

Relax, stupid. 

You said something about Netanyahu provoking Hamas because of his legal troubles, or some shit like that. 

You spoke again about Netanyahu's "legal" troubles in this thread, only this time you say it's "clear" that Netanyahu is holding the Israeli's hostage. 

Now, don't be a dumbf*ck. Go get the evidence. ;) 

7 minutes ago, robosmith said:

I didn't say "Israel is the bad guy." 

Yes you did. You're ALWAYS saying Israel's the bad guy, only you're saying it without using that exact phrasing. 

24 minutes ago, robosmith said:

You have previously said here:

"They are doing NOTHING to achieve peace with the Palestinians.

Netanyahu was funneling $MILLIONS to Hamas for the last couple of years to drive a wedge between them and the Palestine Authority, and that backfired spectacularly.

IMO, that, combined with Israeli KNOWLEDGE of Hamas plans, NOT being prepared for them, AND near total destruction of Gaza, proves complicity for the purpose of the goal or Netanyahu's extreme hard right coalition: eviction of Palestinians.

Several of Netanyahu's ministers are OPENLY calling for that NOW. Additional evidence is the continual illegal expansion of West Bank settlements."

46 minutes ago, Deluge said:

Relax, stupid. 

You said something about Netanyahu provoking Hamas because of his legal troubles, or some shit like that.

You're too stupid to find ANY evidence EVER.

You spoke again about Netanyahu's "legal" troubles in this thread, only this time you say it's "clear" that Netanyahu is holding the Israeli's hostage. 

I quoted an article, lDIOT. I know you have no idea what that means since YOU NEVER DO IT.

Now, don't be a dumbf*ck. Go get the evidence. ;) 

Yes you did. You're ALWAYS saying Israel's the bad guy, only you're saying it without using that exact phrasing. 

YOU have to get the EVIDENCE for YOUR CLAIMS, lazy FCkER.

4 minutes ago, robosmith said:

I quoted an article, lDIOT. I know you have no idea what that means since YOU NEVER DO IT.

This was not a quote from the article. This was your added commentary:

"It is clear that Netanyahu has every incentive to continue the war as long as possible to avoid the legal consequences he faces. Just like Trump delays his TRIALS."

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, User said:

You have previously said here:

"They are doing NOTHING to achieve peace with the Palestinians.

Netanyahu was funneling $MILLIONS to Hamas for the last couple of years to drive a wedge between them and the Palestine Authority, and that backfired spectacularly.

IMO, that, combined with Israeli KNOWLEDGE of Hamas plans, NOT being prepared for them, AND near total destruction of Gaza, proves complicity for the purpose of the goal or Netanyahu's extreme hard right coalition: eviction of Palestinians.

Several of Netanyahu's ministers are OPENLY calling for that NOW. Additional evidence is the continual illegal expansion of West Bank settlements."

Nothing ^here says "provocation of the  attack." Try again.

AFAICT, the only provocation was sending the IDF to the West Bank and leaving Gazan borders virtually undefended.

Edited by robosmith

2 minutes ago, User said:

This was not a quote from the article. This was your added commentary:

"It is clear that Netanyahu has every incentive to continue the war as long as possible to avoid the legal consequences he faces. Just like Trump delays his TRIALS."

Nothing about "hostages" in my commentary. It's ONLY in the the article I quoted:

Duh

1 minute ago, robosmith said:

Nothing about "hostages" in my commentary. It's ONLY in the the article I quoted:

Duh

So, you use an article you disagreed with to support your saying it is clear from that same article that Netanyahu is prolonging the war for his gain?

Interesting. 

5 minutes ago, robosmith said:

Nothing ^here says "provocation of the  attack." Try again.

AFAICT, the only provocation was sending the IDF to the West Bank and leaving Gazan borders virtually undefended.

So, your quibble here is that you didn't use the word provoke, but that you did clearly mean provoke?

I am not sure that is a meaningful distinction to the point being made here. 

8 minutes ago, User said:

So, you use an article you disagreed with to support your saying it is clear from that same article that Netanyahu is prolonging the war for his gain?

Interesting. 

I didn't say I agreed nor disagreed with the article.

And nearly EVERY pundit, let alone thousands of Israeli protesters, have acknowledged that Netanyahu is using the war to distract from and evade his legal problems.

You really should pay attention to the news, like I do.

8 minutes ago, User said:

So, your quibble here is that you didn't use the word provoke, but that you did clearly mean provoke?

I am not sure that is a meaningful distinction to the point being made here. 

Leaving a bank vault open and unguarded is an opportunity NOT a provocation.

That is why bank owners are not stupid enough to do it.

54 minutes ago, robosmith said:

You're too stupid to find ANY evidence EVER.

YOU have to get the EVIDENCE for YOUR CLAIMS, lazy FCkER.

Sorry, pervert. You think Netanyahu provoked Hamas and you think he's holding Israel hostage, ALL because of his "legal troubles". lol

Disagree? Then state right here, that you don't believe any of that. 

26 minutes ago, robosmith said:

I didn't say I agreed nor disagreed with the article.

And nearly EVERY pundit, let alone thousands of Israeli protesters, have acknowledged that Netanyahu is using the war to distract from and evade his legal problems.

You really should pay attention to the news, like I do.

Leaving a bank vault open and unguarded is an opportunity NOT a provocation.

That is why bank owners are not stupid enough to do it.

Do you agree with the article then? 

Wow... where do you get such wild hyperbole from, to claim that nearly every pundit agrees Netanyahu is using the war to distract from and evade his legal problems?

Never mind, that is merely an argument from the popularity fallacy. 

I do pay attention to the news. Thanks for your concern. 

So... your real issue is just one of semantics over the word provoke. Got it. You don't think Netanyahu "provoked" Hamas, you think he gave them the opportunity to invade by purposefully leaving the metaphorical door open.

OK, fine. Back to the evidence part... if there was evidence that Netanyahu did that, why is the current opposition going along with him in the War Cabinet? Where is this evidence he acted so nefariously?

On 4/22/2024 at 12:29 PM, robosmith said:

I didn't say "Israel is the bad guy." The guys who were really bad in Israel are mostly dead.

Netanyahu and his extreme right wing coalition government are the current bad guys who will never agree to, and actively sabotage, the two state solution. That is why they encouraged Qatris to send $100s of millions to fund Hamas including just 3 weeks before the Hamas invasion.

Or course, if Israel prohibited Qatar from sending money to Gaza, you’d be loudly complaining that Israel was starving the Gazans. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.  

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 12:22 PM, Deluge said:

Sorry, pervert. You think Netanyahu provoked Hamas and you think he's holding Israel hostage, ALL because of his "legal troubles". lol

Disagree? Then state right here, that you don't believe any of that. 

NO, you don't get to post strawman arguments and demand that I deny them.

Esp when you can't even quote where I say what YOU ALLEGE. GTH Fckwad.

2 hours ago, Rebound said:

Or course, if Israel prohibited Qatar from sending money to Gaza, you’d be loudly complaining that Israel was starving the Gazans. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.  

You're wrong. Israel could distribute FOOD and other goods to Gazans DIRECTLY. There was NO NEED to include Hamas as the intermediary, esp when they FAILED to monitor how the CASH was spent. All they had to do was back trucks up to the opened gates and let the people come and get it. Or airdrop it just like WE DID.

Or if as I suspect, Netanyahu KNEW how the cash was spent on tunnels and military supplies, cause they WANTED the attack.

That's the only explanation for why it took 10+ hours for the IDF to respond.

Israel gas bent over backwards fir decades to get a deal and we're denied everything. And Yasser arafat is the reason, why they are in this position.

4 hours ago, robosmith said:

You're wrong. Israel could distribute FOOD and other goods to Gazans DIRECTLY. There was NO NEED to include Hamas as the intermediary, esp when they FAILED to monitor how the CASH was spent. All they had to do was back trucks up to the opened gates and let the people come and get it. Or airdrop it just like WE DID.

Or if as I suspect, Netanyahu KNEW how the cash was spent on tunnels and military supplies, cause they WANTED the attack.

You just assert garbage with no critical thought at all. 

Hamas controls Gaza. Hamas controls the borders into Gaza. How does Israel just distribute food directly to the people with Hamas in control?

The amount of money that came in through Qatar is pocket change to the BILLIONS in international aid $$$ that flowed into Israel from around the world. Hamas was digging up pipes meant for infrastructure to turn them into rockets... but yeah, sure, it was the pittance of $$$ from Qatar that made all the difference. 

Seriously... where do you fabricate the absurd assertions you make?

Edited by User

18 hours ago, robosmith said:

Why should Israel give Hamas-lead Gaza a damn thing?  Hamas-lead Gaza demand the annihilation of Israel.  How about this: Don’t declare war on the nation right next to you if you’re incapable of feeding your own people.  You’re holding Hamas blameless in all of this and instead blaming the victims of their terrorist acts.  

Rob, it is very well documented that hundreds of millions of aid dollars went into Gaza and either lined the pockets of Hamas leaders or got diverted to build tunnels, or to buy rockets and guns.  It’s not Israel’s fault that they did this.  The same thing happens in most Mideast nations.  

Edited by Rebound

On 4/22/2024 at 8:43 AM, Rebound said:

Now I see where the miscommunication is coming from: when muslims says they want a 2-state solution they mean alive and dead. 2 states of existence.

Say what you want, but at least they're not lying.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rebound said:

Rob, it is very well documented that hundreds of millions of aid dollars went into Gaza and either lined the pockets of Hamas leaders or got diverted to build tunnels, or to buy rockets and guns.  It’s not Israel’s fault that they did this.  The same thing happens in most Mideast nations.  

I heard that a lot of their rockets are built using repurposed water pipes for fuselages. 

They can build sophisticated murder machines from scraps, but they can't use their billions of dollars in aid to make one of the nicest regions of the planet fit for humans to live comfortably.