Crime is surging and Canadians are being left with one message: You’re on your own

https://thehub.ca/2024-03-21/michael-kempa-crime-is-surging-in-canada/

In Toronto, vehicle thefts are up 150 percent over the past six years

When it comes to skyrocketing auto theft across Canada—double-digit percentage increases more frequently tied to carjackings and breaking into homes in search of keys—recent frank personal safety advice from the Toronto Police Service has sent a clear and unfortunate message to Canadians: You are on your own.

Last week, statements made by Toronto police constable Marco Ricciardi at an Etobicoke public safety meeting earlier in February went viral, and for good reason. Ricciardi warned that car theft is now so aggressive and so brazen, that residents would be wise to leave their key fobs close to their front doors. Why you might ask? To prevent car thieves from entering deeply enough into homes that violent confrontations with owners would become more likely. These thieves are armed with “real” and “loaded” guns, the constable Ricciardi ominously intoned.

How is that possible? Justin banned all the dangerous guns and handguns are illegal. The cops must be wrong.

This is what we've come to and it's shocking and horrifying.

Edited by CdnFox

14 hours ago, CdnFox said:

How is that possible? Justin banned all the dangerous guns and handguns are illegal.

Thieves don't care much for legal guns, so they are armed to the teeth, while a lawful homeowner is forced to hand away their car keys, vs protect their home and property.

You honestly think that with a porous border like ours, that smuggling guns here would be difficult?

14 hours ago, CdnFox said:

These thieves are armed with “real” and “loaded” guns, the constable Ricciardi ominously intoned.

Main reason why me and the wife are investing in the Philippines vs here. 

In the Philippines I can lawfully own a gun, with a license.

You enter our home, I can give you a courtesy warning, then light you up with bullets if you don't comply, and call someone to collect the body--legally. 

Just like some US states, they have similar stand your ground laws, and if you break into my home, I am within my rights to defend my family using whatever force necessary. 

Crazy what happens when the consequences for breaking into someone's house, is very serious. 

It somehow tends to happen a lot less.

What's the point of working your butt off to buy the car and the home, if your government can't keep you safe?

Worse even, your gun laws are so weak, your only options are a hunting knife and close combat, which dramatically reduce your odds of escaping serious injury, or death.

Its a joke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perspektiv said:

Thieves don't care much for legal guns, so they are armed to the teeth...

Yup.

I've been wondering how long it would take for 3D printed guns (especially handguns) to take off. The technology has been around for a while but until recently the overall effect could (IMO) be described as statistically insignificant.

If RCMP warnings are to be believed, that seems to be changing now. Over time I think it will become a serious issue, actually I'm a bit surprised it isn't way worse already.

If there was an award for most polarizing issue in Canada I suspect firearm regulations would qualify as a medal contender. IMO, the debate itself clearly illustrates the difference between narrative (in the dogmatic sense) and opinion that's based on (and modified by) experience.

As an occasional participant in several competitive shooting sports, I sometimes get to talk to people from the narrative driven side of the firearms equation. Many have pretty strong feelings about it. While I don't press the issue,  I will usually ask a pretty simple question: If you were king of Canada for a day, what single firearm law (or regulation) would you enact to make the world a safer place? 

Almost invariably they'll suggest something that already exists and that already exceeds their stated choice in terms of scope and broad effect. Most of them can't define an assault rifle and are unfamiliar with the selective fire aspect of the definition and most are surprised at the regulatory overlap with some provincial hunting regulations.

My point here is that we've collectively used up lot of time and money in unproductive narrative driven (not to mention ineffective) pursuits that include such pleasantries as "nobody needs a gun". The response is usually something equally inane like "nobody needs a swimming pool either." What follows is a rousing debate over suicide prevention and drowning deaths.

All very interesting from an academic point of view (I guess) but hardly productive in view of existing or looming issues of importance to all regardless of differing opinions... smuggling, illegal distribution, bail conditions, mandatory sentencing, 3d printing etc. being but a few of them.

In short, polite, rational discussions aimed at solving this and other important problems are a rarity now. Based on the casual perusal of this and various other opinion forums, I think it will get worse over time.

Seems to me it has helped create the very vacuum in which government over reach (under the guise of "keeping Canadians safe") can thrive and expand. I would argue that it's already here and is getting worse at a faster pace than those criminals manufacturing 3D guns can compete with.   

Edited by Venandi

37 minutes ago, Venandi said:

I'm a bit surprised it isn't way worse already.

The 3D printer, and material along with what would be needed to print the gun are so cost prohibitive. It would be better to buy an illegal gun. If you're looking at flooding the market with these, then it makes sense to make such a financial splash.

So am not surprised, as is still relatively easy to smuggle guns into Canada.

41 minutes ago, Venandi said:

I would argue that it's already here and is getting worse at a faster pace than those criminals manufacturing 3D guns can compete with.   

I see it no different than the fear mongering on climate change.

With it, your government has scared people into accepting a tax, that does nothing but take more money from my pocket, to give to others.

The global warming issue is a global problem. Its in its name. Meaning, the solution needs to be global, or expect it to continue.

But I can't trust any government using fear to manipulate my thinking. 

Kind of like me selling you an expensive microwave, you wanting the half priced one. Me telling you a couple similar models have caught fire, but this one should be safe. This one, is warrantied for 5 years, giving you peace of mind.

I have been doing sales my whole adult life, so can't stand being manipulated. It's precisely why I don't do it to clients.

Any government gladly doing this to you, doesn't care about your best interest. Its all about their own.

19 hours ago, CdnFox said:

https://thehub.ca/2024-03-21/michael-kempa-crime-is-surging-in-canada/

In Toronto, vehicle thefts are up 150 percent over the past six years

When it comes to skyrocketing auto theft across Canada—double-digit percentage increases more frequently tied to carjackings and breaking into homes in search of keys—recent frank personal safety advice from the Toronto Police Service has sent a clear and unfortunate message to Canadians: You are on your own.

Last week, statements made by Toronto police constable Marco Ricciardi at an Etobicoke public safety meeting earlier in February went viral, and for good reason. Ricciardi warned that car theft is now so aggressive and so brazen, that residents would be wise to leave their key fobs close to their front doors. Why you might ask? To prevent car thieves from entering deeply enough into homes that violent confrontations with owners would become more likely. These thieves are armed with “real” and “loaded” guns, the constable Ricciardi ominously intoned.

How is that possible? Justin banned all the dangerous guns and handguns are illegal. The cops must be wrong.

This is what we've come to and it's shocking and horrifying.

I have no disagreement with any of this. I just find it kind of amusing you created this topic to discuss lawlessness while you're busy talking about population growth on the existing lawlessness topic. LOL

Edited by I am Groot

6 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Thieves don't care much for legal guns, so they are armed to the teeth, while a lawful homeowner is forced to hand away their car keys, vs protect their home and property.

You honestly think that with a porous border like ours, that smuggling guns here would be difficult?

You... you get that I was being facetious right? :P   >avid gun owner<

Main reason why me and the wife are investing in the Philippines vs here. 

In the Philippines I can lawfully own a gun, with a license.

Well you can  here too in fairness.

You enter our home, I can give you a courtesy warning, then light you up with bullets if you don't comply, and call someone to collect the body--legally. 

You actually can here too in fairness and there are many cases of just that happening.

Most people here get in trouble when the guy runs away and they chase him and shoot him

Just like some US states, they have similar stand your ground laws, and if you break into my home, I am within my rights to defend my family using whatever force necessary. 

Our courts have recognized "Castle doctorine"  (a man's home is his castle and any invader may be assumed to be murderous".   People just don't know our laws.

Worse even, your gun laws are so weak, your only options are a hunting knife and close combat, which dramatically reduce your odds of escaping serious injury, or death.

Its a joke.

So - here's the thing.

I lawfully own guns.  I have several stored in a legal fashion in such a way that i can access them within seconds. If a person were to attempt to force entry into my home the way i've got things set up i can very easily retreat to an area it will take them at least 30 seconds to get into (if then) and long before then i'll be holding a fully loaded longgun ideal for repelling that kind of attack and i guarantee when they burst into that room it will not go well for them - and i will spend no time in jail for defending myself.

I might get arrested and released the next day but even that is rare.

Now -  it depends on the province. Ontario tends to like 'punishment by process' - where they'll arrest and charge someone and put them thru hell before eventually dropping the charges at the last second.

In bc there have been a healthy number of home defense shootings with no charges.

You need to know the law. And you need to think REALISTICALLY about how you'll react and set yourself up for success. And harden your doors and such.  But it is entirely lawful to defend yourself with a firearm in your home in Canada.

7 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

The 3D printer, and material along with what would be needed to print the gun are so cost prohibitive. It would be better to buy an illegal gun.

Frankly I'm not sure about the associated costs and clearly Europe is in a different boat than Canada given our porous  border with the US. 

Anyway, here's an Aljazeera (ya I know) article from 2021. It was the first one that popped up on my search and If nothing else, the heavy propaganda emphasis on "far right groups" is mildly entertaining.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/7/31/what-behind-far-right-trend-using-3d-tech-make-guns

Most grade 5 students could write this exact same piece with a militant left wing slant but I actually enjoyed the craven bias contained in it...  that's just me though.

You may be right about costs (I don't know) but that doesn't seem to be reflected here, maybe it's because of their bias or maybe production is more cost effective in Europe given the geography and tighter national restrictions.   Regardless though, I now see it as a pending growth industry for organized crime and MCs.

As I recall, in 2021 it simply wasn't a statistically significant issue in Canada or the US. I think that's likely to change though and any push toward tighter boarder controls coupled with further restrictions on law abiding owners (and competitive shooters) could serve to accelerate the process.

They'll find a way, the laws have reached a level of absurdity now that even the grade 5 student I referred to above could find a way.

Those firmly in support of further regulation (and harassment) of competitive shooters in Canada might enjoy reading the firearm ownership rules in Haiti.   

Edited by Venandi

5 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Most people here get in trouble when the guy runs away and they chase him and shoot him

I never felt the need for a gun here. In the Philippines,  is a other story. 

If I lived in the east of Vancouver, I may change my mind.

Our courts have recognized "Castle doctorine"  (a man's home is his castle and any invader may be assumed to be murderous".   People just don't know our laws.

I assumed based on a recent case I saw where someone had shot someone in his house.

Good to know, but still wouldn't want a gun in Canada. The moment I felt the need for one, it would mean Canada had begun to dwindle into being a banana republic.

Ontario tends to like 'punishment by process' - where they'll arrest and charge someone and put them thru hell before eventually dropping the charges at the last second.

This is where I saw the case, but I appreciate that not all provinces will apply the exact same rules.

But it is entirely lawful to defend yourself with a firearm in your home in Canada.

Good to know. 

But for me the moment I need to, its game over for me. We would move.

I don't like guns,  as a friend of mine was shot to death.

I have had weapons pulled on me. I just don't like the weapon.

But if push came to shove would buy one. Just can't justify doing so in Canada. I have worked so hard to earn a lifestyle which works for us. To be forced to change this would simply motivate me to go to a country where this was expected (needing to own a gun in some areas).

4 minutes ago, Perspektiv said:

I never felt the need for a gun here. In the Philippines,  is a other story. 

If I lived in the east of Vancouver, I may change my mind.

Yea. it's getting pretty bad.

For me a gun is just insurance (among other things, they're outrageously fun)

I have it - i made sure i knew how and when to use it and set things up appropriately, and now i don't worry about it.

I assumed based on a recent case I saw where someone had shot someone in his house.

Good to know, but still wouldn't want a gun in Canada. The moment I felt the need for one, it would mean Canada had begun to dwindle into being a banana republic.

well ... i think we might already be a banana republic with the Mayor of a major canadian city telling people to leave their car keys outside the door because armed thugs might be around.

I don't like guns,  as a friend of mine was shot to death.

I'm sorry to hear that but if your friend was killed in a car accident would you 'not like cars'?  Or if he choked on food would you not like food? 

I mean to each there own i guess. The primary reason i own guns was to hunt and have fun, i don't know that i'd have gone out and bought one JUST for defense so I guess i can empathize.

1 minute ago, CdnFox said:

Yea. it's getting pretty bad.

Nearly San Francisco bad.

You know Vancouver is bad, when they will soon be used as the measuring stick to describe a s*** hole.

"Shootings in Chicago have reached Vancouver levels".

"Mexican drug cartels, have extorted Vancouver levels of innocent civilians".

Heard it snowed record levels today. How bad are the roads?

"Its Va.." okay I'll stop.

6 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

I'm sorry to hear that but if your friend was killed in a car accident would you 'not like cars'?

I remember struggling to drive initially, as have been in 5 crashes as a passenger, and have witnessed countless deadly crashes.

Worst of which in Europe, when a dude wrapped his sportscar around a post.

It hasn't stopped me, but sure as heck made learning incredibly difficult due to the anxiety which had me almost quit.

Glad I didn't.

Let me rephrase. Am apprehensive on guns. Quite sure if my home was attacked, I wouldn't hesitate to Swiss cheese anyone else trying the same stunt. 

I think like you said, practice makes perfect. A friend took me to a range pre-covid, so the phobia is gone. Its just not being comfortable with accidentally hurting people with one.

But knowing how to expertly load and unload one, knowing when a bullet is in the chamber would probably do the trick.

For driving, defensive driving did the trick for me, and swerving from near death crashes let me know I truly had control of my car and knew what I was doing. I made sure I was sharp, to avoid worrying about those who aren't.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 1:35 PM, CdnFox said:

So - here's the thing.

I lawfully own guns.  I have several stored in a legal fashion in such a way that i can access them within seconds. If a person were to attempt to force entry into my home the way i've got things set up i can very easily retreat to an area it will take them at least 30 seconds to get into (if then) and long before then i'll be holding a fully loaded longgun ideal for repelling that kind of attack and i guarantee when they burst into that room it will not go well for them - and i will spend no time in jail for defending myself.

I might get arrested and released the next day but even that is rare.

Now -  it depends on the province. Ontario tends to like 'punishment by process' - where they'll arrest and charge someone and put them thru hell before eventually dropping the charges at the last second.

In bc there have been a healthy number of home defense shootings with no charges.

You need to know the law. And you need to think REALISTICALLY about how you'll react and set yourself up for success. And harden your doors and such.  But it is entirely lawful to defend yourself with a firearm in your home in Canada.

Using your firearms in self defense can go bad many ways, here in NB i've posted many times about a guy using an unloaded shotgun broken in half to scare off some kids stealing his ATV, He the gun owner was arrested and had his weapons taken away.

In other provinces person breaking into home was shot, RCMP arrested the homeowner charged with manslaughter, sent to jail, no parole, waited almost a full year for his court date, while in jail, yes he was found not guilty, but it cost him his job, his home, and finally his wife...

Plenty of other laws that could see you land in jail, for not fully knowing your rights or the law...I do own plenty of firearms, and trust me if my family was seriously threatened in any way, be lots of pink mist on the walls  ...

But for self defense i like to start with a good old hockey stick or aluminum baseball bat..

"Evening officer, i was practicing my road hockey skills"....where did that body over there come from....He charged the goalie, officer had to tune him up...Ya looks like a suicide , he says...have a good night officer..

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Using your firearms in self defense can go bad many ways, here in NB i've posted many times about a guy using an unloaded shotgun broken in half to scare off some kids stealing his ATV, He the gun owner was arrested and had his weapons taken away.

In other provinces person breaking into home was shot, RCMP arrested the homeowner charged with manslaughter, sent to jail, no parole, waited almost a full year for his court date, while in jail, yes he was found not guilty, but it cost him his job, his home, and finally his wife...

Plenty of other laws that could see you land in jail, for not fully knowing your rights or the law...I do own plenty of firearms, and trust me if my family was seriously threatened in any way, be lots of pink mist on the walls  ...

But for self defense i like to start with a good old hockey stick or aluminum baseball bat..

"Evening officer, i was practicing my road hockey skills"....where did that body over there come from....He charged the goalie, officer had to tune him up...Ya looks like a suicide , he says...have a good night officer..

If you want to use a firearm it's CRITICAL that you know the law well.  It makes all the difference.

And you can get legal insurance specifically for firearms use Believe it or not.  If you're interested i believe the NFA can help you with that.

But USUALLY when there's charges (other than a few provinces) there's something the home owner did wrong.  And you won't see the dozens and dozens of times people DON"T get charged and it doesn't wind up in the papers.

But yes - any defense including the hockey stick can land you in jail if you don't know your rights and the law.  Many many have gone to jail for self defense with a hockey stick or golf club.  If you're not prepared to learn whats involved and what to say when the police show up then do like the cops in toronto say and leave your keys by the front door.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 12:35 PM, CdnFox said:

I lawfully own guns.  I have several stored in a legal fashion in such a way that i can access them within seconds. If a person were to attempt to force entry into my home the way i've got things set up i can very easily retreat to an area it will take them at least 30 seconds to get into...

CdnFox,

Do you live in a rural area? I prefer the federal Australian gun regulations.

==========

As to the US Second Amendment: I'll be the last kid on my street with a nuclear weapon.

Of all the amendments to repeal.... 

Edited by August1991

43 minutes ago, August1991 said:

CdnFox,

Do you live in a rural area? I prefer the federal Australian gun regulations.

I do now, and i prefer that there only be one official language in Canada.

As to the US Second Amendment: I'll be the last kid on my street with a nuclear weapon.

or a brain.