Classic books pulled from BC district curriculum

58 minutes ago, eyeball said:

You're a far better example of why chuds need a smack upside the head with it.

OOooooo - wow, i see you've stepped your insults up to a grade 4 level! Impressive, another 30 years or so and you'll have caught up to me :) 

39 minutes ago, eyeball said:

That CdnFox's comment about burning books are what you should expect from an uneducated chud.

LOL  -   Hey,  i read the classics not like you losers who refuse to read anything with 'wrongspeak' in it :)   Of the two of us i'm far more educated.  :)  

BTW - '"Graduating" as you did from "the university of facebook" isn't actually an education, sorry to disappoint you

51 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Almost single handedly just lost the war between the left and the right.

Why would a transplant westerner like yourself be so fond of left wing policies and politicians when the damage they do to the west is so apparent?  You defend their punishing governance endlessly . . . why?

10 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Why would a transplant westerner like yourself be so fond of left wing policies and politicians when the damage they do to the west is so apparent?  You defend their punishing governance endlessly . . . why?

What do you mean when you say the west and transplant and defence?

Anyhow, if you look more carefully you'll notice I'm simply mocking conservative criticism for being so lame. 

I don't need to be convinced that Trudeau is lame. I've known that since before he was elected. Besides which the Liberals are far to right wing for my liking and have been for decades 

5 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I don't need to be convinced that Trudeau is lame. I've known that since before he was elected.

You've been saying it for decades now in fact. :) 

And you still support him so there you go.

On 3/5/2024 at 9:23 AM, CdnFox said:

Hell if you want a clearer picture of what life in america was like then even classics like tom sawyer and grapes of wrath are incredibly valuable.

And the CORRECT answer to the racism in those books is to talk to the kids about it when they read it.  Read the books with them, talk about the past, talk about the racism of the day and why we've learned better, discuss how they can be better.

Burning the book and trying to pretend it never existed is just childish.

I gave the example of Russia but we are essentially saying the same thing. The past exists and cannot be changed.

3 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

I gave the example of Russia but we are essentially saying the same thing. The past exists and cannot be changed.

Oh for sure - i was entirely agreeing with you and simply noting that even closer to home you can't understand history well without reading the works of the time.

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Oh for sure - i was entirely agreeing with you and simply noting that even closer to home you can't understand history well without reading the works of the time.

Being someone with an economics background, I took it upon myself to really drill down and find out why Russians would opt for communism. You can read a history book and it does not really tell you why the average citizen would think that it was a good idea. The dates, times, leaders elected, etc. are good to know but the context (as you know) is not always there. 

Have you ever heard of or read Barkskins by Annie Proulx. It is a historical fiction novel centered in Ontario/Quebec/Newfoundland. 

Just now, impartialobserver said:

Being someone with an economics background, I took it upon myself to really drill down and find out why Russians would opt for communism. You can read a history book and it does not really tell you why the average citizen would think that it was a good idea. The dates, times, leaders elected, etc. are good to know but the context (as you know) is not always there. 

Have you ever heard of or read Barkskins by Annie Proulx. It is a historical fiction novel centered in Ontario/Quebec/Newfoundland. 

I have not - but if you want some canadian history i urge you to read "Dickens of the mounted".  Charles' dickens son moved to canada and joined the rcmp back at the birth of canada. He regularly corresponded to a good friend who owned up pub back in england about his life and his observations as he served across canada. Is friend died and he kept the correspondence up with his young daughter, who would eventually move to vancouver, and when she died the letters were found complete and intact and turned into a book - its' basically just all the letters back to back

The letters are often hilarious, the insight to life and the first nations and what was going through people's minds is very interesting and he even bumps into lois riel for a bit (verified as being entirely possible given the account and known locations of riel at the time).

1 minute ago, CdnFox said:

I have not - but if you want some canadian history i urge you to read "Dickens of the mounted".  Charles' dickens son moved to canada and joined the rcmp back at the birth of canada. He regularly corresponded to a good friend who owned up pub back in england about his life and his observations as he served across canada. Is friend died and he kept the correspondence up with his young daughter, who would eventually move to vancouver, and when she died the letters were found complete and intact and turned into a book - its' basically just all the letters back to back

The letters are often hilarious, the insight to life and the first nations and what was going through people's minds is very interesting and he even bumps into lois riel for a bit (verified as being entirely possible given the account and known locations of riel at the time).

I will have to check it out. 

I go out of my way to read non-american literature. Nothing against my homeland and its authors but I want a different perspective.