Nixon Spring 1972

The popularity of President Nixon it the 1972 election was impressive. Had he ignored the Democrats and fired John Mitchell, he would have gone down in history as the greatest American President in the twentieth century. His accomplishments were incredible. His single major failure was Watergate, and that was a tragedy.

"The evil men do lives after them. The good is oft' interred with their bones. So let it be with Caesar."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

The popularity of President Nixon it the 1972 election was impressive. Had he ignored the Democrats and fired John Mitchell, he would have gone down in history as the greatest American President in the twentieth century. His accomplishments were incredible. His single major failure was Watergate, and that was a tragedy.

"The evil men do lives after them. The good is oft' interred with their bones. So let it be with Caesar."

I think you've forgotten about the Vietnam War. Not a success at all for Nixon.

Timeline[edit]

Thursday, April 30[edit]

President Nixon announced that the "Cambodian Incursion" had been launched by United States combat forces.

Monday, May 4

The shootings[edit]

During their climb back to Blanket Hill, several guardsmen stopped and half-turned to keep their eyes on the students in the Prentice Hall parking lot. At 12:24 p.m.,[37] according to eyewitnesses, a sergeant named Myron Pryor turned and began firing at the crowd of students with his .45 pistol.[38] Several guardsmen nearest the students also turned and fired their rifles at the students. In all, at least 29 of the 77 guardsmen claimed to have fired their weapons, using an estimated 67 rounds of ammunition. The shooting was determined to have lasted 13 seconds, although John Kifner reported in The New York Times that "it appeared to go on, as a solid volley, for perhaps a full minute or a little longer."[39]

When the Guard began firing, many protesters ran while others dropped to the ground. Some assumed the Guard was firing blanks and reacted only after they noticed the bullets striking the ground around them.[30]

Reaction[edit]

The shooting enraged the crowd of protesting students,[49] with some of them preparing to attack the National Guard.[50] Several hundred students sat down in the Commons, demanding to know why the guardsmen opened fire. An officer told the sitting students: "disperse or we will shoot again".[51] Student photographer John Filo also recalled guardsmen telling lingering students that they would shoot again if the students did not disperse.[52] The commander of the National Guard also warned faculty members that the students must disperse immediately.[49] Some faculty members, led by geology professor and faculty marshal Glenn Frank, pleaded with the students to leave the Commons to avoid any further escalation of the confrontation, with Frank telling the students:[50]

I don't care whether you've never listened to anyone before in your lives. I am begging you right now. If you don't disperse right now, they're going to move in, and it can only be a slaughter. Would you please listen to me? Jesus Christ, I don't want to be a part of this ... ![50]

After Professor Frank's intervention, students left the area,[49][50] and ambulances moved in to attend to the victims.[50] Frank's son, who was present, said, "He absolutely saved my life and hundreds of others".[50][49]

Victims[edit]

• Jeffrey Glenn Miller; 265 ft (81 m) shot through the mouth; killed instantly.
  • Allison B. Krause; 343 ft (105 m) fatal left chest wound; dead on arrival.
  • William Knox Schroeder; 382 ft (116 m) fatal chest wound; died almost an hour later in a local hospital while undergoing surgery. He was a member of the campus ROTC battalion.
  • Sandra Lee Scheuer; 390 ft (120 m) fatal neck wound; died a few minutes later from loss of blood.

Wounded (and approximate distance from the National Guard):

• Joseph Lewis, Jr.; 71 ft (22 m); hit twice; once in his right abdomen and once in his lower left leg.
  • John R. Cleary; 110 ft (34 m); upper left chest wound.
  • Thomas Mark Grace; 225 ft (69 m); hit in his left ankle.
  • Alan Michael Canfora; 225 ft (69 m); hit in his right wrist.[53]
  • Dean R. Kahler; 300 ft (91 m); back wound fracturing the vertebrae; permanently paralyzed from the chest down.
  • Douglas Alan Wrentmore; 329 ft (100 m); hit in his right knee.
  • James Dennis Russell; 375 ft (114 m); hit in his right thigh from a bullet and grazed on his right forehead by either a bullet or birdshot; both wounds minor (wounded near the Memorial Gymnasium, away from most of the other students).
  • Robert Follis Stamps; 495 ft (151 m); hit in his right buttock.
  • Donald Scott MacKenzie; 750 ft (230 m); neck wound.

Of those shot, none was closer than 71 feet (22 m) to the guardsmen. Of those killed, the nearest (Miller) was 265 feet (81 m) away, and their average distance from the guardsmen was 345 feet (105 m). The victim furthest from the Guard was 750 feet (230 m) away.[54]

In the President's Commission on Campus Unrest (pp. 273–274)[55] they mistakenly list Thomas V. Grace, who is Thomas Mark Grace's father, as the Thomas Grace injured.

All those shot were students in good standing at the university.[55]

Disclaimer, I am not that well versed on US history.

He pulled the US troops out of Viet Nam which led to the end of the war. President Johnson wanted out of Viet Nam but it took Nixon to accomplish it. (Reference the recordings broadcast in Ken Burns documentary series on the war.)

In your reference to Kent State, are you suggesting the President ordered the National Guard to open fire? If that is the case, it is news to me.

He did work to improve relations with the USSR and Red China.

He streamlined the Cabinet.

I suspect the root cause of the Watergate burglary came from his experience with the 1960 election with the allegations of ballot irregularities in Chicago that cost him the election against JFK. He lacked self confidence and could not believe the strength of his support.

President Nixon was not a nice man. Off the top of my head, I would say the only POTUS who was a nice person is President Carter. One out of 46 tells you something.

Edited by Queenmandy85

34 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

In your reference to Kent State, are you suggesting the President ordered the National Guard to open fire? If that is the case, it is news to me.

Don't be silly; Nixon was NOT present at Kent State.

It was HIS Cambodia invasion policy which triggered the protests and led to the shootings.

Someone was responsible for Nat Guard soldiers believing it was OK to open fire on US citizens, but that was only Nixon indirectly, just like with Trump and his MAGA goons carrying out his public threats.

"Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?" (also expressed as "troublesome priest" or "meddlesome priest") is a quote attributed to Henry II of England preceding the death of Thomas Becket, the Archbishop of Canterbury, in 1170.

6 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Disclaimer, I am not that well versed on US history.

He pulled the US troops out of Viet Nam which led to the end of the war. President Johnson wanted out of Viet Nam but it took Nixon to accomplish it. (Reference the recordings broadcast in Ken Burns documentary series on the war.)

He did work to improve relations with the USSR and Red China.

He streamlined the Cabinet.

I suspect the root cause of the Watergate burglary came from his experience with the 1960 election with the allegations of ballot irregularities in Chicago that cost him the election against JFK. He lacked self confidence and could not believe the strength of his support.

President Nixon was not a nice man. Off the top of my head, I would say the only POTUS who was a nice person is President Carter. One out of 46 tells you something.

I don't have much personal sense of likeability from anyone before Carter, but I think Carter, Obama and Bush II were nice people. GWB was woefully inept, but he wasn't evil ( that was Cheney's job). But it's hard to beat Carter in the "good guy" department.

Edited by Hodad
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hodad said:

I don't have much personal sense of likeability from anyone before Carter, but I think Carter, Obama and Bush II were nice people. GWB was woefully inept, but he wasn't evil ( that was Cheney's job). But it's hard to beat Carter in the "good guy" department.

I stand corrected. I think I could add President Reagan to your list and maybe FDR.

28 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I stand corrected. I think I could add President Reagan to your list and maybe FDR.

No idea about FDR. I waffled on Reagan though. He was definitely charming and charismatic, but because of his age and rapid decline we really didn't get to see much of him after he left office. 

Usually we meet these people when they are ascendant politicians and it's anybody's guess how much of it is calculated for effect and how much of it is real. But in the presidential afterlife I feel like we kind of get to see who they really are as people. 

Despite some bitter political fighting in the past, there's not much sweeter or more hopeful than the close friendship between the Bush family and the Obama family--particularly GWB and Michelle. 

Things have, shall we say, gone a bit downhill from there. That's from the time when political rivals were allowed to be friends outside of the office and occasionally allies inside it (McCain, Feingold, Graham, Biden etc.). Now any Republican who crosses that line will fail the purity test, be labeled a RINO and primaried at the earliest opportunity. Sigh.

Edited by Hodad

13 hours ago, Hodad said:

Things have, shall we say, gone a bit downhill from there. That's from the time when political rivals were allowed to be friends outside of the office and occasionally allies inside it (McCain, Feingold, Graham, Biden etc.). Now any Republican who crosses that line will fail the purity test, be labeled a RINO and primaried at the earliest opportunity. Sigh.

My favourite story was the close relationship between President Kennedy and Senator Goldwater. Both men suffered from Addison's disease and they took their treatments together at the Whitehouse. Since both were planning to run for President in 1964, they came up with a plan to share a campaign plane and tour together as they campaigned. 

Edited by Queenmandy85
  • Like 2