Vikek and Truth or Consequences

On 9/8/2023 at 11:45 PM, WestCanMan said:

Sadly about 80% of politics is charisma. 

Gavin Newsom has a good chance of becoming president one day just because he has good hair, a nice grille, he looks good in a suit, and he slithers calmly with a winning smile on his face. 

Some content is still required and his is California. Which is a problem. Few dream of going there any more. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2023 at 4:43 PM, WestCanMan said:

I didn't watch the debate last night and the media accounts vary widely. Some say Vikek was the man, and some say he was surprisingly bitter and confrontational. 

I was hoping for DeSantis to do well, because I still think that he has the best chance of beating Trump and winning the general election, but apparently he was awkward and didn't do a good job of answering the questions posed to him.

By all accounts Haley did well, but I don't think she can become a major player. 

Pence is a bit of a joke imo, he's so boring that Americans will start cheering for Russia if he wins. 

Who do you guys think did well last night? 

I've never seen a debate that was well-moderated. Even in Canada. Debates are always a bit of a joke. 

This was a much better debate than the last one. Cross-talk was minimal so you could actually hear what people were saying. Now I may be a little biased here…but in my lefty opinion Vivek was both ridiculous and undignified, throwing insults hither and yon all night. Describing Zelensky as a Nazi was probably the lowest point but it’s hard to say. He also mentioned the TikTok use of Haley’s daughter (she called him ‘scum’ in return), bizarrely described Biden as “a puppet of the managerial class”, the sort of line you might hear at the weekly meeting of the local Trotskyist collective, and proposed a northern wall to keep all those Canadian criminals out. He comes across as a shock jock looking for bad publicity if he can’t get the good stuff. There’s no question he’s an entertaining speaker but the job still requires a little more dignity than he exhibits. The other two also-rans, Christie and Scott, seemed resigned to their fate and just went through the motions. By contrast, Haley and DeSantis performed well although Haley came across better. She’s more likeable. DeSantis might have benefited from teaching a bit of drama in his youth. His vocal range is restricted and he doesn’t move his body enough. On the content side, there’s no question he’s well-informed. Anyway, they remain the pair behind Trump and are both comfortable in this format. At the moment, I can’t see these debates changing the race significantly, at least until the number of participants is reduced. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 1:19 AM, Perspektiv said:

Once your hairline reaches Derrick White status

image.png.bdd194ade4436070f1523000cf77c596.png

Or Lester Holt

image.thumb.png.5795dac6b5bc19c82f1a9cdaf6f76555.png

Your political career is over.

Unless you get a combover that puts Trump to shame.

If he rocked this shit, I would vote for him three times o_O

image.thumb.png.01d5051d7cedff0ab2fc4a523e9a44d4.png

Those guys would be better off shaving their heads. I think I see more of that in the UK.

6 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

This was a much better debate than the last one. Cross-talk was minimal so you could actually hear what people were saying. Now I may be a little biased here…but in my lefty opinion Vivek was both ridiculous and undignified, throwing insults hither and yon all night. Describing Zelensky as a Nazi was probably the lowest point but it’s hard to say. He also mentioned the TikTok use of Haley’s daughter (she called him ‘scum’ in return), bizarrely described Biden as “a puppet of the managerial class”, the sort of line you might hear at the weekly meeting of the local Trotskyist collective, and proposed a northern wall to keep all those Canadian criminals out. He comes across as a shock jock looking for bad publicity if he can’t get the good stuff. There’s no question he’s an entertaining speaker but the job still requires a little more dignity than he exhibits. The other two also-rans, Christie and Scott, seemed resigned to their fate and just went through the motions. By contrast, Haley and DeSantis performed well although Haley came across better. She’s more likeable. DeSantis might have benefited from teaching a bit of drama in his youth. His vocal range is restricted and he doesn’t move his body enough. On the content side, there’s no question he’s well-informed. Anyway, they remain the pair behind Trump and are both comfortable in this format. At the moment, I can’t see these debates changing the race significantly, at least until the number of participants is reduced. 

I think he tried to emulate Trump's attacking style of debate, but it takes a lot of finesse to do that without looking too bitter and crossing too many lines. 

IMO Trump got away with it before because he was saying things that his base really felt needed to be said, but no one was saying them. Vikek seems to just be doing it because he wants to win the debates. 

That's too bad, because  i think Vikek has a lot to offer. He just chose took the wrong tack to get elected. I think 2024 is out of reach for him now. He probably needs to bow out gracefully right now to salvage his career.