Death

1 hour ago, TreeBeard said:

Of course not.  Do you believe your soul will be consciously aware after you’re dead?

Yes of course. I take it you think your body expires and that's it for you? If this is the case...I feel sorry for you because...you will get what you want.

2 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

I see no evidence for a soul, or even a coherent definition for a soul.   Got any evidence?

Yes. 21 grams of it and the insanity of REM sleep deprivation

Here's the thing...science has been trying to refute the living soul for a very long time, yet cannot.

The religions tell us a lot of things. Some understandable and some not. I'm no big religious Bible-Thumper, but I do believe the bit about those who really believe, will gain entrance to what we call "Heaven". Another plane of existence.

Your brain is a powerful thing that we can't seem to use more than about 7% of. Its the "veil" between the physical and metaphysical.

All of my instincts tell me this is the proper path to follow. I listen to my instincts.

This may not be rock solid proof...but that's the quandary. Do you believe...or not?

48 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

science has been trying to refute the living soul for a very long time, yet cannot.

I’m not really sure what “science” you’re referring to, but that is a clear shifting of the burden of proof. 

“Science hasn’t disproven Bigfoot, therefore Bigfoot is real”

but I do believe the bit about those who really believe, will gain entrance to what we call "Heaven". Another plane of existence.

Believe in what?  That’s so vague as to be completely meaningless.   

Your brain is a powerful thing that we can't seem to use more than about 7% of. Its the "veil" between the physical and metaphysical.

There’s no evidence of the metaphysical. 

And the “we don’t use all our brain” nonsense is just a myth.  https://www.oecd.org/education/ceri/neuromyth4.htm
…but there is no significant evidence to suggest that we only use 10 or any other specific or limited percentage of our brains. On the contrary, all existing data shows that we use a 100% of our brains.

All of my instincts tell me this is the proper path to follow. I listen to my instincts.

This may not be rock solid proof...but that's the quandary. Do you believe...or not?

Can instincts be wrong?   

Edited by TreeBeard

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 1:31 PM, Nationalist said:

Yes. 21 grams of it and the insanity of REM sleep deprivation

Here's the thing...science has been trying to refute the living soul for a very long time, yet cannot.

The religions tell us a lot of things. Some understandable and some not. I'm no big religious Bible-Thumper, but I do believe the bit about those who really believe, will gain entrance to what we call "Heaven". Another plane of existence.

I think we all "want" to believe that there's something beyond this. I certainly don't discount it because, as you say, it's something we all instinctively embrace. 

But no, there's no definitive proof of anything beyond the life we have. 

Does the ant you smush live beyond this world? What about the bacteria that have lived on this earth for millions of years, do they all have souls? Is the afterlife only set aside for humans because God has created us to be caretakers of this world? Then what of early humans that certainly weren't dominant creatures in this world? Nor did they embrace any form of monotheistic religion. Did the Dinosaurs have souls? 

Those are rhetorical questions, obviously, but it complicates the narrative of a Heaven or Hell set aside for those that don't accept Christ as their personal saviour which seems like the certainty that a lot of Christian abide by. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boges said:

I think we all "want" to believe that there's something beyond this. I certainly don't discount it because, as you say, it's something we all instinctively embrace. 

But no, there's no definitive proof of anything beyond the life we have. 

Does the ant you smush live beyond this world? What about the bacteria that have lived on this earth for millions of years, do they all have souls? Is the afterlife only set aside for humans because God has created us to be caretakers of this world? Then what of early humans that certainly weren't dominant creatures in this world? Nor did they embrace any form of monotheistic religion. Did the Dinosaurs have souls? 

Those are rhetorical questions, obviously, but it complicates the narrative of a Heaven or Hell set aside for those that don't accept Christ as their personal saviour which seems like the certainty that a lot of Christian abide by. 

All living beings have a soul as far as I can tell.

9 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

“There’s a soul”

”How do you know this”?

Answer:  “There’s a soul”.  

LOL ? 

I don't care if you believe this or not. You asked, I told you what I believe.

You think its funny. I think your lack of belief will wind up in a tragedy.

5 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I don't care if you believe this or not. You asked, I told you what I believe.

You think it’s funny. I think your lack of belief will wind up in a tragedy.

He asked why you believe it and you just reiterated what you believe.  

I’m not overly concerned.  As I’ve said, if there is a god, I think she is using faith/belief as a way to weed out the gullible.  The gullible won’t be going to heaven. 

9 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

He asked why you believe it and you just reiterated what you believe.  

I’m not overly concerned.  As I’ve said, if there is a god, I think she is using faith/belief as a way to weed out the gullible.  The gullible won’t be going to heaven. 

You be you...