Just how pointless and stupid our climate reductions efforts are

2 hours ago, Aristides said:

So now you're so horrified and embarrassed over how stupid you looked that you can't even speak.  Just randomly drop unrelated articles about 'warnings' about things that never happened.

What a child - this is exactly why 'climate change'  people aren't taken seriously.

• 2 weeks later...

An article by a deep believer in climate change who says we're wasting our time and money on these 'net zero' things, which aren't going to make a damned bit of difference anyway.

Some people might say: “But we’ve got to, we’ve got to show that we’re on the right side, we’ve got to accomplish it, even if other people don’t do it.” I think that’s the politics of narcissism: “I want to feel good.” But in the meantime, you’re wasting resources and you’re wasting time. There is a serious possibility that we’re now in the early stages of runaway climate change. We should be focusing everything we’ve got — not on having an infinitesimal impact on global carbon levels, which would be the case even if the whole net-zero programme was implemented, but on policies of adaptation. And adaptation is not going to be easy. Remember, most climate scientists agree that once human-induced climate change is in the works, it goes on for decades or even centuries. You can’t just stop it. There’s a general idea among environmentalists that we started this so we can stop it. They are wrong. We started it, probably, but we can’t stop it.

https://unherd.com/2023/09/net-zero-and-the-politics-of-narcissism/

12 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

An article by a deep believer in climate change who says we're wasting our time and money on these 'net zero' things, which aren't going to make a damned bit of difference anyway.

Climate change is on. I still believe it was possible to take action in the past but that opportunity is clearly lost to us and I'm very skeptical that adaptation will provide much relief.

Your guys have won hands down. Good job. 

11 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Climate change is on. I still believe it was possible to take action in the past but that opportunity is clearly lost to us and I'm very skeptical that adaptation will provide much relief.

My guys? Quit sulking. There was nothing Canadians could ever have done about it. Just like there's nothing we can do about it now but further impoverish ourselves with ludicrously expensive net zero policies. We ought to be, as he says, putting our money and policies into adaptation.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

No, your guys won. you got the carbon tax that you said would solve the problem for sure. Just as trudeau promised when you voted for him back in 2015.

You're the big winners here.  Unfortunately as was pointed out at the time, everyone else is going to be the big loser because you were full of shit then and you're full of shit now, so we get to live with the consequences.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Emissions are up not down, that's all that really matters. 

Not to your side.  Virtue is far more important.

Everyone with a brain KNEW that the carbon tax was a cash grab and would do almost zero to fight carbon.  In bc where it was hoped to reduce carbon by 30 percent over time, the MOST FAVORABLE estimates say all it did was slow the growth of carbon emissions by 5 percent. Slow the growth - not reduce.  Some say that at times it might have been as high as 10 percent.  But even that vanishes over time as those who can afford it make what changes they can and then there's no more room for improvement.

Yet that's what you demanded. THAT would solve climate change. The LIBERALS are the ONLY party with a good plan.

Meanwhile - emissions went down under harper and up during chretien and Trudeau.  But yeah - vote liberal for the carbon tax!!

Sorry man - the conservatives didn't win that fight.  We lost. You won.  And the world will suffer as is often the case when liberals win.

Too late to worry about now - the polling is clear that people are more worried about being able to afford to buy food than they are about climate change.

11 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Yet that's what you demanded.

You're lying, I didn't demand anything because I didn't expect anything.

13 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

emissions went down under harper

So you're saying he shoved a cork up his butt?

14 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

But yeah - vote liberal for the carbon tax!!

No thanks, I don't vote Liberal under any circumstance.

Just now, eyeball said:

You're lying, I didn't demand anything because I didn't expect anything.

You'd be the one lying, you were all over supporting justin and still defend him and his policies toady - this is precisely what you voted for. 

So you're saying he shoved a cork up his butt?

Oh look - when confronted with his own lies and hypocrisy and failure the leftie can only turn to 'butt humour' in his defense.

I guess that's one way of saying i'm right without saying it.

No thanks, I don't vote Liberal under any circumstance.

You already admitted you did in 2015.   And everyone knows you're a liar.

8 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

this is precisely what you voted for. 

No, your just saying that because you're trying to be a dink.

10 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

I guess that's one way of saying i'm right without saying it.

No I thought you really were making a joke because we already settled this nonsense about Harper being responsible for lower CO2 emissions.

12 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

You already admitted you did in 2015.   And everyone knows you're a liar.

No I didn't and no they don't.

3 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No, your just saying that because you're trying to be a dink.

No, i'm just saying that because you're a liberal supporter who spends most of his time here defending that gov't and it's actions and attempting to claim that climate change is the 'conservatives winning'.

No I thought you really were making a joke because we already settled this nonsense about Harper being responsible for lower CO2 emissions.

If by 'settled' you mean they did and it wasn't the recession that did it then sure

No I didn't and no they don't.

Yes you did and yes they do. 

you can't constantly tell llies, change your posts, etc etc and then pretend people dont' notice or realize you're not honest.

And you can't spend all your time defending the liberals and justin and then claim you're not a supporter.  It would be like someone saying to hitler "You're anti jewish " and him saying "Whaaaaat? i never said  i was ANTI -jewrish... "  :)  

Sorry kid  i know it's popular these days for liberals to deny being liberals because the polices are indefensible and nobody wants to admit they supported it - but if 99 out of 100 of your posts are in defense of the libs and their policies AND you HAVE defended the carbon tax before -  i'm sorry but 1 post claiming you don't believe all that stuff ain't going to cut it.

You and your liberal and NDP  friends fully supported the carbon tax and said that would fix climate change.  The CPC said it would be a tax on everything and drive up prices and do nothing for the climate.  You won. You got your wish.

Now we all live with the consequences of your foolishness.  So no b*tching, 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

You and your liberal and NDP  friends fully supported the carbon tax and said that would fix climate change. 

That's what YOU'RE saying they said. And if there's anything everyone around here knows, it's how famous you are for telling people what it is they said. Pretending as if you were physically there recording things word for word.

21 minutes ago, eyeball said:

That's what YOU'RE saying they said. And if there's anything everyone around here knows, it's how famous you are for telling people what it is they said. Pretending as if you were physically there recording things word for word.

It's what they said. And i was there stupid, this was only a decade ago. They said it during the elections, they said it in quotes in the papers, they said it again and again and so did their liberal friendly reporters and pundits.

Are you claiming the liberals and ndp DID NOT think the carbon tax would fix climate change? then why did they do it?

Buddy - what everyone knows is you're a liar and a bullshitter.   If your claim is that the libs and dips did NOT believe the carbon tax would fight climate change then i think you've successfully painted yourself into a corner.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Are you claiming the liberals and ndp DID NOT think the carbon tax would fix climate change? then why did they do it?

No, that's not what I'm claiming and I doubt they thought the carbon tax would FIX climate change either. You're the only one using the word fix here and using it as a phony expectation to criticize. It's just the same old denialism. As I've said before calling out the shitty quality of your criticisms against something are not grounds for inferring 'support' for anything.

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

Buddy - what everyone knows is you're a liar and a bullshitter.   If your claim is that the libs and dips did NOT believe the carbon tax would fight climate change then i think you've successfully painted yourself into a corner.

Oh I certainly think they believed it would fight climate change.

But if you can't see or if your pretending there's no difference between fix and fight then you're not bullshiting anyone but yourself the result being lousy arguments.

Just now, eyeball said:

No, that's not what I'm claiming and I doubt they thought the carbon tax would FIX climate change

So that IS what you're claiming.

You can't even keep your story straight for a single sentence.  For a guy who lies so much you'd think you'd be better at it

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

Oh I certainly think they believed it would fight climate change.

Give me a break. 

It was their flagship policy.  It's the ONLY one they put forward and they claimed it would allow them to reach their paris goals, which is what was necessary to beat climate change.

Now you're trying to twist words and meanings to try to say they both DID and DID NOT say it was the solution to climate change.

F*ck off kid- that was your solution to climate change, you got what you wanted. You were told it wouldn't work and EXACTLY what the conservatives and most economist who don't work for the libs already knew has happened - it made no difference and now it's just another tax.

So there you go - well done You got what you wanted and now it's failed and you're trying to deny that the liberals relied on it as their primary tool to fix climate change

You're so dishonest you can't even complete a whole sentence without crapping yourself.

17 hours ago, eyeball said:

Emissions are up not down, that's all that really matters.  Whoever was hoping they'd be going down by now has not won anything at all. Victory, hoping they go up, will be Pyrrhic.

Well gee, maybe it's because you guys spent all your time harassing Canada instead of China, India, Nigeria and Vietnam. The developing world produces 68% and rising of all emissions. As long as they keep building coal plants you're not going to see any leveling off of carbon emissions.

20 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Well gee, maybe it's because you guys spent all your time harassing Canada instead of China, India, Nigeria and Vietnam.

You guys? You don't know me well enough lump me in with whoever you're talking about.  I have a long well established  record around here of advocating no truck nor trade with China as well as any other dictatorship simply on the basis of standing up for human rights. Nobody can do much if anything about climate change without these btw.

Standing up for human rights especially from an economic standpoint has proven to be as pointless as saying anything about climate change. It only gets you cancelled as a capitalist hating commie.

30 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

The developing world produces 68% and rising of all emissions. As long as they keep building coal plants you're not going to see any leveling off of carbon emissions.

Sure, go ahead and rub it in. Like I said victory will be Pyrrhic.

So what are the chances Poilievre will rebate all the federal carbon tax we've paid along with cancelling it? 

21 minutes ago, eyeball said:

You guys? You don't know me well enough lump me in with whoever you're talking about.  I have a long well established  record around here of advocating no truck nor trade with Chinag it? 

Demanding they lower carbon emissions isnt' "Trade". 

His point is valid. You climate zealots were livid and enraged that canada DARED to suggest another country might be a bigger part of the problem - and we've seen it from others on this board as well.   "it would be UNFAIR to ask china to do its part".

And even here you give them a free ride. You advocate standing up to china for human rights ... but not climate change.

Well there you go .

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

I don't know why.  You seem to be saying you don't want to wheel or deal with China any more than I do.

Nobody said anything about that other than you, and that was in a sad attempt to change the channel.

Whether you want to do business with china or not - if you give them a free ride on climate change AS YOU DO then there is zero chance of resolving the climate change issue.  Simple fact is they're pumping out a "canada's" worth of INCREASED emissions every year or two.  So even if we totallly shut the whole country down - within 2 years they'd have replaced every drop of our emissions.

So how can anyone take you seriously on climate change when you work so hard to dodge that issue?