Canadian doctors say birth tourism is on the rise. It could hurt the health care system.

https://macleans.ca/society/health/canadian-doctors-say-birth-tourism-is-on-the-rise-it-could-hurt-the-health-care-system/

Many travel here late in their pregnancies and arrive close to 38 weeks, which can lead to complications. I’ve seen patients with pre-existing high blood pressure get off a plane with numbers that are through the roof. Often, they’ll show up at a family doctor’s office, who sends an urgent hospital referral. I’ve also seen patients with pre-term twins literally get off a plane and go straight to an emergency room to deliver. Even somebody who might be otherwise low risk but shows up with no medical imaging or other records of pre-natal testing can have adverse birth outcomes, like unchecked pre-eclampsia and gestational diabetes. These aren’t isolated incidents, either.

I see the challenges - how do you say that someone who is born on our soil ISN'T canadian.

But honestly i think that we should come up with a simple rule like One of the parents must have lived in canada for at least one out of the last 2 years  (or been a canadian citizen) .

The idea of flying in, using our medical system and  getting your kid a free citizenship and then flying away is not good for our country.

OK. A better question is: what wouldn't? (hurt it). I think I may know the answer! If we were all in perfect health, never had any infections, inborn defects and accidents lived to at least 110 and passed away instantly and peacefully. And still paid outrageous portion of our taxes into it. Wouldn't this simple recipe work like a charm?.. and what else, could?

10 minutes ago, myata said:

OK. A better question is: what wouldn't? (hurt it). I think I may know the answer! If we were all in perfect health, never had any infections, inborn defects and accidents lived to at least 110 and passed away instantly and peacefully. And still paid outrageous portion of our taxes into it. Wouldn't this simple recipe work like a charm?.. and what else, could?

Well...  i mean you're not wrong but there's some technical issues with that :)

Given that we're still going to need health care for a while between birth and death we have to be careful about how health system is used. It's already strained

But it goes beyond that.  These are kids and parents who have no connection to canada, no loyalty to canada, and have had no part in building canada.  Now - these people will be allowed to vote in our elections. Come here and use our medical system for expensive treatments for free. Own real estate even if we forbid foreign buyers even tho they've never spent a moment in Canada other than their birth.  Etc etc.

I don't see how that benefits us as a country.

2 hours ago, myata said:

Who made this rule, who asked for it, why it was needed to the citizens?

This was decided in some of the first parliaments we had about 150 years ago. And there is an international tradition to it.

You DO have to determine how someone is a citizen.  What makes you  a citizen and not someone else?  Your parents? Well  what if they weren't citizens but they've lived here most of their lives.

So if you were born in Canada, then you were Canadian. Or

Of course, this was long before you could jump on a plane,  land, have your kid, and be gone again in 48 hours.

5 hours ago, myata said:

Who made this rule, who asked for it, why it was needed to the citizens? So many funny questions... because we can!

In a capitalist society where people paid the full freight for their doctor visits, and for their kids' schooling, and there were tolls on all the bridges, there was no such thing as an old age pension or EI, and there was no such thing as working under the table, etc, then it wouldn't be a big deal if people entered illegally, but Canadians have paid through the nose to build this country up and it's weird for people to just waltz in and get more benefits than everyone whose family was contributing here for generations. 

8 hours ago, Aristides said:

We are fools to continue with it.

No, but why does it exist here, who asked for it, who made it a law in a "house" of stonefaced employee-representative voting clones?

"This was decided in some of the first parliaments we had about 150 years ago."

Ah OK. So world has not changed one bit since those great times and the employees above have nothing to worry about except maybe raking the obscene salaries and benefits.

Edited by myata

... yet another thing of Canada that on a minute's even half-intelligent thought makes exactly zero sense. Why are we keeping those absurd oddities of the times long past, like a giant open air Kunstkamera? Is it through the love to the past, an incurable psychological complex of living in the past so no meaningful change is desirable, forget possible? Or only due to mental laziness and lack of will to observe the reality, understand it and adapt?