Canada has a One-China policy which demonstrates massive failure

Is there something about the Liberal government that makes it difficult for them to refuse to call China's treatment of the Uighurs a genocide even though Parliament voted to call it a genocide?

Is there something about the Liberal government that makes it difficult for them to call Iran's guard corps a terrorist organization even though our allies have done so?

20 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I never said it wasn't the same.  Why is it necessary to have any kind of one China policy?  Why seek to have a relationship with a Communist system that denies human rights on a massive scale?  What is the difference between having a relationship with a Communist country like China or a Fascist country like Hitler's Nazis regime? 

Nations do not usually determine foreign policy based on internal human rights. Trade is the main factor. How many Canadians are you willing to put out of work by ending relations with China before we can engage with an alternative?

As for Nazi Germany, I am sure you are familiar with MacKenzie King's diaries? The Prime Minister had a lengthy meeting with the Chancellor and Fuhrer of Germany in 1937 (IIRC), and wrote in his diary that night that Hitler was "the Joan of Arc of Germany."

Canada certainly does not have an unblemished human rights record, but, compared to most nations, we are a pretty good country to live in. We have a lot of freedom and rights compared to most countries. Personally, I cannot think of a better place to live. Taxes are relatively low in relation to the services we get from government. 

This forum could not exist if we were in China or Russia. We have correspondents from all political stripes and even some American friends and, I suspect, a couple of guests from the GRU.

We are not perfect but we have it pretty good. We just forget to look around and count our blessings.

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

How many Canadians are you willing to put out of work by ending relations with China before we can engage with an alternative?

Who was it that got Canada into this mess to begin with?  It was mainly liberals.  Liberals got us into this mess but won't accept responsibility and won't make much effort to change.   Money is what counts and liberals desire to be globalists.

1 minute ago, blackbird said:

Who was it that got Canada into this mess to begin with?  It was mainly liberals.  Liberals got us into this mess but won't accept responsibility and won't make much effort to change.   Money is what counts and liberals desire to be globalists.

And, it is the Liberals who are planning to try and extricate us and turn to India. As a Commonwealth country, India is a much better fit for us. Plus, they are more reliable partners who are not going to rip off Canadian companies and take hostages. The process has to be done carefully, considering the number of Canadians already being held prisoner on bogus charges. 

3 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

And, it is the Liberals who are planning to try and extricate us and turn to India. As a Commonwealth country, India is a much better fit for us. Plus, they are more reliable partners who are not going to rip off Canadian companies and take hostages. The process has to be done carefully, considering the number of Canadians already being held prisoner on bogus charges. 

Seriously?   What does India have to offer Canada?  They are a very poor country full of heathen religion.  I am not sure what they could offer Canada.  This sounds more like smoke and mirrors to divert everyone's attention from the failing China relationship.  I doubt India will ever be a major trading partner of Canada.  The only people who benefit are the politicians and diplomats who fly back and forth on international jaunts and stay in luxurious hotels and eat fine food.  That's the way it has always been.

Edited by blackbird

19 minutes ago, blackbird said:

They are a very poor country full of heathen religion.

It is only heathen to you. Who cares what their beliefs are. Humans have been religious for at least 100,000 years, possibly 3 times that. Just in the last 75 thousand years, there probably have been thousands of religions that have come and gone. Most teach the same lesson. Be nice to people. So forget the little differences other beliefs have and focus on the things we have in common.

25 minutes ago, blackbird said:

What does India have to offer Canada?  They are a very poor country full of heathen religion.  I am not sure what they could offer Canada.

Have you ever call tech support?

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

It is only heathen to you. Who cares what their beliefs are. Humans have been religious for at least 100,000 years, possibly 3 times that. Just in the last 75 thousand years, there probably have been thousands of religions that have come and gone. Most teach the same lesson. Be nice to people. So forget the little differences other beliefs have and focus on the things we have in common.

Have you ever call tech support?

Lots of scammers calling from India too.  Were you aware of that?

Not sure we have much in common.

I don't know what they have that Canadians would be interested in buying.  I don't see them being a big supplier of anything in the near future.  As I said, liberals saying they are going to deal with India should not be taken seriously as having much value.  It is the business world that decides where to invest and buy goods, not politicians.  There is no rush from importers to switch from China to India.

Edited by blackbird

7 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Lots of scammers calling from India too.  Were you aware of that?

Not sure we have much in common.

Biblical Christianity is totally alien to most of them.  There might be a few real believers but would be rare.   I met a missionary once who said he spent twenty years over there and never saw anyone converted.  Very difficult place.  

Perhaps that is a reflection of the strength of Hinduism. 

As for scammers, yes, I am aware. I am also aware of the volume of computer probes by the Chinese Army. I used to log dozens of incident reports a day of probes from China, and I was just doing the overflow that our computer crime investigator didn't have time for. He logged most of them.

India surpasses China in most areas of scientific endeavour. A trading bond with India could be very beneficial.

18 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

A trading bond with India could be very beneficial.

I think you are imagining something. India is much further away from Canada and it would take much longer to ship from India to Canada.  India would have to build vast manufacturing facilities and all the associated infrastructure to do it.  It not only requires huge investment by many companies to build something that would take decades but requires an educated population which does not exist.  Its not likely to happen.

The main issue is India does not have the manufacturing capability to replace China for the foreseeable future and it would cost a lot more and take a lot longer to ship from India to Canada. 

Politicians are just using talking points because of the mess with China.   Typical diversion.

Edited by blackbird

On 1/8/2023 at 8:35 AM, blackbird said:

Why is it necessary to have any kind of one China policy?

Because until recently, they have been good customers.

Remember rule of acquisition #57- "Good customers are as rare as latinum—treasure them." 

But also treat China with rule # 203 - "New customers are like razor-toothed gree worms. They can be succulent, but sometimes they bite back."

12 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Because until recently, they have been good customers.

The CCP has had decades to infiltrate Canadian politics, academia, business, military, industrial complex, intelligence, government, and everything else in Canada while the liberal and left stood by and continued to milk it all they could... good customers but at what price?  

Edited by blackbird

59 minutes ago, blackbird said:

The CCP has had decades to infiltrate Canadian politics, academia, business, military, industrial complex, intelligence, government, and everything else in Canada while the liberal and left stood by and continued to milk it all they could... good customers but at what price?  

See Rule #203.