New deficit numbers are in and they are gross.

For 2021/2022, it cost Canada $24.5 billion just to pay the interest on its federal debt which is now sitting at over one trillion dollars.

I wonder how many people realize, the larger the debt, the more money Canada has to pay in interest, the less money there is available for public services and support for health care and everything else. 

Edited by blackbird

23 hours ago, Army Guy said:

I think you've blown it out of proportion, and the punishment does not fit the crime.

So, he was a kid, middle school in NB is from 10 to 13. still makes him a child right. 

No, he was 14, and grade 8 students born between Jan and June are 14 by the time they're done.  

sexual assault and bullying are miles apart, in fact on opposite ends of the scales. and they are allowed carte blanch is that not what hockey Canada is being torn down right now,

Depends on the case.  If it's basic name calling etc, perhaps, but if it's physical assault, death threats etc, not really.  

NHL players aren't provided carte blanche either.  I can go back to the 80's if you like and provide examples of players who were booted for sexual assault offenses, but I'm not sure how much you actually care.  If you did, you'd have done 30 seconds of google research and known better than to post the bolded foolishness above. 

One notable difference/advantage that wealthy athletes have, unfortunately, is that they can pay for expensive lawyers and hush settlements that a 20 year old can't.  You might not think that's far, but I would challenge you to show any convicted rapists playing in the NHL today. 

Sexual assault in the military could be as petty as me calling you a pu$$Y,or getting handsy while hammered during a dance or function. It is left up to the perception of complainant. And yes, i am talking about some of those officers and a few others. the have lost their Careers and HAVE not been convicted of anything. since when is that right

Like whipping your willy out for a female subordinate on a navy ship?  As far as I know, these officers aren't being fired, but are rather on paid leave.  The allegations are serious enough that it doesn't make much sense to have accused officers actively in high-level positions of authority where they could influence the investigation.  

He was 14, consider a child in a court of law... one that needs his parents' consent to do anything. not considered an adult until the age of 16...

So what?  Disregarding the fact that minors can be held legally responsible for their actions, he's not being legally punished.  He's been released by his team because his past conduct was reprehensible, he omitted (or outright lied) about the details to the NHL and the teams that signed him, and he's demonstrated little/no efforts towards rehabilitation.  His past conduct and his lack of trustworthiness have convinced them he's of poor character and not someone they want to work with.  Playing in the NHL is a privilege earned, rather than a right, and it's not purely about being able to play hockey. 

I've done plenty of things i am not proud of in my lifetime, and i will be judged, not by todays canceled culture... or some generation that cannot even decided what time it is on a clock, or write cursive, or tell what gender they are today, or this minute.  

My god man.  Some generation that can't even decide what time it is on a clock?  Did you get your kid to write this out for you?  How can you even use the keyboard with that myopic boomer eyesight.  ?

I used to think you were a serious person on this forum, but stuff like that makes me doubt it.  

5 hours ago, Moonbox said:

No, he was 14, and grade 8 students born between Jan and June are 14 by the time they're done.  

Depends on the case.  If it's basic name calling etc, perhaps, but if it's physical assault, death threats etc, not really.  

NHL players aren't provided carte blanche either.  I can go back to the 80's if you like and provide examples of players who were booted for sexual assault offenses, but I'm not sure how much you actually care.  If you did, you'd have done 30 seconds of google research and known better than to post the bolded foolishness above. 

One notable difference/advantage that wealthy athletes have, unfortunately, is that they can pay for expensive lawyers and hush settlements that a 20 year old can't.  You might not think that's far, but I would challenge you to show any convicted rapists playing in the NHL today. 

Like whipping your willy out for a female subordinate on a navy ship?  As far as I know, these officers aren't being fired, but are rather on paid leave.  The allegations are serious enough that it doesn't make much sense to have accused officers actively in high-level positions of authority where they could influence the investigation.  

So what?  Disregarding the fact that minors can be held legally responsible for their actions, he's not being legally punished.  He's been released by his team because his past conduct was reprehensible, he omitted (or outright lied) about the details to the NHL and the teams that signed him, and he's demonstrated little/no efforts towards rehabilitation.  His past conduct and his lack of trustworthiness have convinced them he's of poor character and not someone they want to work with.  Playing in the NHL is a privilege earned, rather than a right, and it's not purely about being able to play hockey. 

My god man.  Some generation that can't even decide what time it is on a clock?  Did you get your kid to write this out for you?  How can you even use the keyboard with that myopic boomer eyesight.  ?

I used to think you were a serious person on this forum, but stuff like that makes me doubt it.  

So, when your 14 are you considered an adult or child? it is really that simple.

You don't know what this bullying consisted of, but you've fixed your wagon to it, and this child must suffer in your opinion. 

There is currently an investigation into this very topic right now in hockey Canada, where they paid hockey Canada funds out as hush money to cover up sexual assault. Have they list a list of names of players, No so it is working, and we will never know who they are, but what we do know is they had to have a reason to start an investigation.

That Naval guy should be shown the door, end of story. that guy i believe has been asked to retire, I'm not sure i'm not following it.  but they are not all like that and none have been proven in court, some have no witnesses just a complaint.

The NHL are covering their ass, and reaching when it comes to this kid, and if you think everyone should be held reasonable for all their actions regardless of age then that is your opinion, not mine. there is a reason why children are not held accountable to adult standards. they are not old enough to know better. 

No need to be a dink, you continue to use this same sort of sentence, like somehow, it's magic will convert me to your idea of center.  it's not, we share very little middle ground, i post to you becasue it makes me a better poster, and maybe learn something.

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

So, when your 14 are you considered an adult or child? it is really that simple.

It's not that simple, and I've already said why.  Not only can minors be held responsible for their actions, this case isn't criminal anyways so the age doesn't actually matter.  Too bad, so sad.  At 14, you know better.  "Me was child" is not an excuse for truly awful behavior.  

You don't know what this bullying consisted of, but you've fixed your wagon to it, and this child must suffer in your opinion. 

He beat up on a disabled kid for years, then made him eat candy he and his friends had wiped in a urinal.  This isn't just normal everyday bullying.  This is sick.  

There is currently an investigation into this very topic right now in hockey Canada, where they paid hockey Canada funds out as hush money to cover up sexual assault. Have they list a list of names of players, No so it is working, and we will never know who they are, but what we do know is they had to have a reason to start an investigation.

and Hockey Canada is in crisis, with sponsors pulling their funding and parents not wanting a tarnished nickel to go towards the organization, whilst the investigation is ongoing. Of course, according to you, this would just be more "cancel-culture", right?  

That Naval guy should be shown the door, end of story. that guy i believe has been asked to retire, I'm not sure i'm not following it.  but they are not all like that and none have been proven in court, some have no witnesses just a complaint.

Why should the naval guy go if it wasn't yet proven?  Let me ask it another way.  Let's pretend you had a daughter, and her volleyball coach was accused of soliciting a student at her school.  Without a conviction, how would you feel about that teacher still teaching and attending classes, marking potential witness' papers.  It hasn't yet been proven in court, so by your logic there's nothing anyone should do, right??

It works the same way with police officers, judges or really any position of authority.  

The NHL are covering their ass, and reaching when it comes to this kid, and if you think everyone should be held reasonable for all their actions regardless of age then that is your opinion, not mine. there is a reason why children are not held accountable to adult standards. they are not old enough to know better. 

Not to adult standards, and that's probably why he didn't go to jail.  It doesn't mean they can't be held accountable for their actions.  

No need to be a dink, you continue to use this same sort of sentence, like somehow, it's magic will convert me to your idea of center.  it's not, we share very little middle ground, i post to you becasue it makes me a better poster, and maybe learn something.

I turned your silly rhetoric right back at you.  It wasn't very effective, was it?  

20 hours ago, Moonbox said:

It's not that simple, and I've already said why.  Not only can minors be held responsible for their actions, this case isn't criminal anyways so the age doesn't actually matter.  Too bad, so sad.  At 14, you know better.  "Me was child" is not an excuse for truly awful behavior.  

He beat up on a disabled kid for years, then made him eat candy he and his friends had wiped in a urinal.  This isn't just normal everyday bullying.  This is sick.  

and Hockey Canada is in crisis, with sponsors pulling their funding and parents not wanting a tarnished nickel to go towards the organization, whilst the investigation is ongoing. Of course, according to you, this would just be more "cancel-culture", right?  

Why should the naval guy go if it wasn't yet proven?  Let me ask it another way.  Let's pretend you had a daughter, and her volleyball coach was accused of soliciting a student at her school.  Without a conviction, how would you feel about that teacher still teaching and attending classes, marking potential witness' papers.  It hasn't yet been proven in court, so by your logic there's nothing anyone should do, right??

It works the same way with police officers, judges or really any position of authority.  

Not to adult standards, and that's probably why he didn't go to jail.  It doesn't mean they can't be held accountable for their actions.  

I turned your silly rhetoric right back at you.  It wasn't very effective, was it?  

If the law does consider that children under the age of 16 are to have special consideration to be held accountable account under the law, with exception of serious cases like capital murder, rape etc... This being the gold standard, the fact he did not face any criminal or school board punishment is telling. And holding a 14-year-old accountable for bullying is your opinion nothing more. 

I do not condone the behavior, i have said that multiple of times. But the punishment the NHL has handed down is not fitting the crime, and he is one of a few that are held to this standard. Considering Bully is so common in schools. 

No it is not cancelled culture it is an entire organization being held accountable for the actions of a few. It is the few that should have been dismissed, no problem with that.... the entire chain of command was ordered to step down, some of them just took up their positions and had no idea of this problem, is that cancel culture, it sounds like it to me. 

If there is witnesses like in this case dozens of them, pack your bags you're going. DO you think DND placed Russell Williams on leave until after his trail, he was released from the forces right after he was charged, after his trail they worked on taking back his pension. becasue they had a confession, and all the evidence for a conviction.

The question i asked is how far you are going to go back to, what age are children thought to be responsible for their actions. in your opinion, becasue law and policy are very clear on the subject. 

Talk to someone in schooling and ask them if this is a mild case or they have seen much worse. or is this you making a mountain out of a mole hill.