Do you think student loan forgiveness is a good idea?

Biden proposed during his presidential campaign forgiveness in the following instances:

1. If you attended a public college or university
  2. If you used the loans for undergraduate tuition and
  3. If you earn less than $125,000.

Isn’t the real issue why education has become so expensive? Universities are operating like any other “for-profit” business.

Also, if a college degree hasn’t enough value for the student to pay off, why should it have any value for taxpayers expected to pay it off?

Definitely in a twisted way access to financing has allowed Universities to charge obscene money for their courses.  It would be unfair considering the millions of students who had to refinance their mortgages or the like just to pay down their debt.  My wife had some debt from her days in Colorado and these guys are relentless.  There really is no way out and if you don't want your life to be a living hell, pay off your student loans.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 1:54 PM, Luz P. said:

Do you think student loan forgiveness is a good idea? 

No. I don't work to pay other peoples' bills.

On 5/3/2022 at 6:40 PM, Faramir said:

Definitely in a twisted way access to financing has allowed Universities to charge obscene money for their courses.  It would be unfair considering the millions of students who had to refinance their mortgages or the like just to pay down their debt.  My wife had some debt from her days in Colorado and these guys are relentless.  There really is no way out and if you don't want your life to be a living hell, pay off your student loans.  

You notice how nobody ever goes after the elite universities and their price gouging? You also notice how kids don't shop smartly for an education, they go for the big name instead?

Fuck them. I do not want my tax dollars paying off their loans. The probably goose stepped out of school as newly branded Marxists anyway.

This is their first lesson as adults: Pay your fucking bills.

• 1 year later...

Yes. However, where I differ is that I would make getting a student loan more difficult after this. Not impossible.. but slightly more difficult. Some ways that you can filter out those who will default..... make the loan applicants show a decent work history, credit score, etc. Now, if you have no credit history.. then make some exceptions. 

No there should not be any type of loan forgiveness without first fixing the issue of the insane tuition colleges are charging.

Here is the problem with colleges now, they have too many useless majors and the government guaranteeing the loans for the useless majors. I think if the government is guaranteeing student loans it should be for something that is marketable and the cost is congruent with the earning potential and ability to pay back the loan, everything else should be left to the parents to pay for or scholarships.

We have gotten it so ingrained in our society that college graduate= more valuable and more intelligent person and we have employers valuing a piece of paper over experience.

I am currently a manager in accounting and my superiors require anyone working as a general ledger accountant has to have a degree, even though we have people who have been in our accounts receivable department where I am near certain that they could be successful in that position and wouldn't have to be trained as much as I have to train new accountants with a degree from outside.

I had a buddy who worked as an engineer and he had people he worked with that had no degree at all but moved from drafter to designer to engineer and was able to do the job fine.

I get that the degree can count as experience but lets face it 90% of the accounting I learned in college is completely useless in my current position. I think that the only thing an accounting degree proves is that you have the mind for accounting, which is important since accounting is an odd discipline where I have learned a concept that is simple to me is difficult for others to understand.

Edited by Fluffypants

On 5/3/2022 at 1:54 PM, Luz P. said:

Biden proposed during his presidential campaign forgiveness in the following instances:

1. If you attended a public college or university
  2. If you used the loans for undergraduate tuition and
  3. If you earn less than $125,000.

Isn’t the real issue why education has become so expensive? Universities are operating like any other “for-profit” business.

Also, if a college degree hasn’t enough value for the student to pay off, why should it have any value for taxpayers expected to pay it off?

Calling it loan forgiveness is a LIE. Loan forgiveness is when the lender decides not to come after you for that money and just writes it off.

What Unelected Adolf Biden is doing is robbing TAXPAYER to pay off student loans of idi0ts with Lesbian Dance Theory degrees who can't even get a job flipping burgers.

• Downvote 1