Opinion: Quebec commission proposes bold new approach to protect academic freedom from woke mobs

Army Guy

On 1/12/2022 at 12:37 PM, Michael Hardner said:

1. Well you are trying to tell us what they are thinking which is pretty much impossible to prove.  At best, a guess.
2. I don't think surfing is going away anytime soon. 

1. How do we prove with the use of science the "infinite amount of genders", when science has already convinced us that is not true, and yet this unproven theory is already enshrined in our laws, our culture. This guess as you describe it, has influenced not only our laws, but what we teach our children, and a vast amount of other policies and rules. Our thinking that science can be changed with no proof required, just social pressure is wrong . And yet science is used to prove many of our theories we depend on daily,  that can change with social pressure and science only comes into play when it is convenient with some agenda..  It has morphed into more than a silly fad to be brushed aside and told it will pass in time.  

On 12/23/2021 at 3:36 PM, Benz said:

The woke are irrationals. For an identified issue, they always find out the worst imaginable solution.

I'm reminded of the things some people say when fighting for their gun rights - that they need guns to protect themselves from tyranny.

Nearly every household in Iraq had guns when Saddam Hussein was in charge.

In any case I do like the thrust of the Quebec commission's opinion that university classes shouldn't be considered safe spaces, notwithstanding the prevention of violence of course - no one is forcing anyone to be there.

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I'm reminded of the things some people say when fighting for their gun rights - that they need guns to protect themselves from tyranny.

Nearly every household in Iraq had guns when Saddam Hussein was in charge.

Thats not what this fight is about, taking up arms against the government is a no win situation, and in Canada it is laughable. But being able to defend yourself from those that want to do you or your family harm in your home, or enjoying hunting, sport shooting, or just going to the range, that is what this fight is about, i would not put anything into Justin propaganda campaign which is full of lies, to instill fear into the uneducated. 

23 minutes ago, eyeball said:

In any case I do like the thrust of the Quebec commission's opinion that university classes shouldn't be considered safe spaces, notwithstanding the prevention of violence of course - no one is forcing anyone to be there.

Sure but really language is so nebulous and students are still and have always been protected from harm via the professional decorum of the academic setting.  Believe it or not, this standard has not always been met.  Students subjected to abusive behaviour should never been tolerated and that behaviour has indeed been claimed as protected under 'academic freedom'.

But so be it.  If it's written down, at least we have a principle.

It's strange to me that the populists jump on the bandwagon of PROTECTING academic freedom (??!?) wherein I seem to recall them demanding profs be fired for their opinions in the past.  Indeed, the entire process held by the Canadian Association of University Teachers is based on the firing of professor H. S. Crowe who was REMOVED as professor in 1958 because he wrote a PRIVATE LETTER indicating that he was concerned about the election of a Conservative government.

Nobody owns freedom.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_S._Crowe

On 1/12/2022 at 11:37 AM, Michael Hardner said:

1. Well you are trying to tell us what they are thinking which is pretty much impossible to prove.  At best, a guess.
2. I don't think surfing is going away anytime soon. 

1. I figure that their thinking has something to do with what they say and do. If it is not the case, it's their problem. what concerns me is what they say and do.

2.I understand that you just surrender and that think life goes on.

8 minutes ago, Benz said:

1. I figure that their thinking has something to do with what they say and do. If it is not the case, it's their problem. what concerns me is what they say and do.

2.I understand that you just surrender and that think life goes on.

1. Really? They stated that they're morally superior and above justifying their actions?  Let's see some evidence.

2. I don't take a war stance on stupid things that mean nothing.  You use the term surrender, which is telling.