Mitt Romney

America could’ve had this man as president.  But the mainstream media thought that having qualified women, among others that work in prominent positions within his company, organized in a binder was biggest outrage in the history of presidential campaigns.

Btw, anyone remember when Joe Biden accused this man of wanting to put black people back in chains?

Edited by Shady

53 minutes ago, Boges said:

And, his lot in the current Republican party is due to Trump. 

Not sure why you're trying to re-litigate the 2012 election. He lost to an extremely popular POTUS. One that would have easily won a third term if he was allowed. 

I’m not re-litigating 2012.  But the hypocrisy of the Romney worshipping now, particularly by the media and Democrats is vomit inducing.  They destroyed this man, this man of integrity when it suited them.  They called him a murderer and a racist.  But now he’s something completely different.  It’s disgusting.  This whole Trump era has torn the veil off the mainstream media and the Democrats.  They’re all a bunch of gaslighting hypocrites.  Conducting themselves in ways they now criticize of their opponents.

3 hours ago, Shady said:

I’m not re-litigating 2012.  But the hypocrisy of the Romney worshipping now, particularly by the media and Democrats is vomit inducing.  They destroyed this man, this man of integrity when it suited them.  They called him a murderer and a racist.  But now he’s something completely different.  It’s disgusting.  This whole Trump era has torn the veil off the mainstream media and the Democrats.  They’re all a bunch of gaslighting hypocrites.  Conducting themselves in ways they now criticize of their opponents.

I'd like to see a cite on the "Murder" reference. I suspect that's not a blanket assessment of the man when he ran for POTUS. 

You've seen some of the awful things Trump has said about Romney and other sensible Republicans right? 

But you want to focus on partisan tactics of the past/ 

You think preferring to the likes of Dubya, Romney or McCain to Trump is hypocrisy? It doesn't dawn on you that it's just an honest assessment of relative merits of each politician. 

Edited by Boges

42 minutes ago, Boges said:

I'd like to see a cite on the "Murder" reference. I suspect that's not a blanket assessment of the man when he ran for POTUS. 

You've seen some of the awful things Trump has said about Romney and other sensible Republicans right? 

But you want to focus on partisan tactics of the past/ 

You think preferring the likes of Dubya, Romney or McCain to Trump is hypocrisy? It doesn't dawn on you that it's just an honest assessment of relative merits of each politician. 

Is there every going to be a time when you are able to simply call a spade, a spade?  I'm not holding my breath, BTW.

2 minutes ago, sharkman said:

Is there every going to be a time when you are able to simply call a spade, a spade?  I'm not holding my breath, BTW.

Regarding what? 

I shouldn't have to answer for politicians in the US 8 years ago. 

I probably would have preferred Romney back then. I certainly preferred Dubya and McCain. 

4 hours ago, Shady said:

America could’ve had this man as president.  But the mainstream media thought that having qualified women, among others that work in prominent positions within his company, organized in a binder was biggest outrage in the history of presidential campaigns.

I think what sank him was that video of him pointing out that it was a waste of time trying to appeal to the 47% of people who would never vote Republican anyway. I did not share the outrage since what he said was patently obvious. It was like when Kim Campbell said elections were no time to talk about complicated subjects. That was also correct, but also drew outrage.

So what's this got to do with today?

Edited by Argus

3 hours ago, Boges said:

You think preferring the likes of Dubya, Romney or McCain to Trump is hypocrisy? It doesn't dawn on you that it's just an honest assessment of relative merits of each politician. 

Yeah, was it Stephen Colbert who offered to give Romney a million bucks if he'd run against Trump in the primaries? It was one of those late night guys. I mean, Romney is never gonna be the Left's favorite, but compared to Trump and a lot of his acolytes he seems like a blazing font of wisdom, dignity and integrity.

What I am saying is, you are not capable of agreeing that the sky is blue if someone of opposite political views from yours says its blue.  

In your Romney comments above, a simple observation was made by Shady.  In response you went off on a trump rant.  There are a few of you odd fellows on this forum and it's too bad your goals and motivation is to spark arguments when a simple nod is obviously the correct response.

• Like 1

By contemporary standards, I don’t remember much hatred for Mitt from the left and I never met anybody who disliked him intensely. Romney would have made an ideal candidate in earlier times - happy, wholesome, hypercompetent, Hollywood-handsome, a winner in every way - but his own party didn’t want that much sunshine any more, or a talent for compromise with the Libs. The biggest rap against him across the political spectrum was that, like windsurfer John Kerry, he appeared to be out of touch with modern America. Thus the binders, dressage horses, car elevators, 47% remarks etc. were merely confirming metaphors of what was already believed.

A major challenge for all presidential candidates is how to make one’s elite status palatable to voters increasingly distrustful of the ruling class. One clever thing Dubya Bush did was take the time to create an Everyman narrative before he ran. Trump got round this problem by portraying himself as a self-made tough guy rather than the privileged heir to a fortune. IMO Romney should have got involved in some sort of community work for a year or two after the governorship and found out how the ordinary Joes were actually getting on. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

• 2 weeks later...