Confused about some bannings

Shakeyhands

I've been away for a bit and havn't really caught up. Have M Burns and Shoop both been banned really - from what I read they weren't any near as abrasive or prone to adhominems as some more recent posters have...(in a very contentious thread.)
I don't know about shoop but MB made some (now-deleted) posts threatening to shoot aboriginal people. The post was pretty vile and I can see why it would be an immediate banning offense.

thanks

I've been away for a bit and havn't really caught up. Have M Burns and Shoop both been banned really - from what I read they weren't any near as abrasive or prone to adhominems as some more recent posters have...(in a very contentious thread.)
I don't know about shoop but MB made some (now-deleted) posts threatening to shoot aboriginal people. The post was pretty vile and I can see why it would be an immediate banning offense.

thanks

I know he could be over the top a little, but that doesn't sound like him. Maybe he was drunk or something.

I know he could be over the top a little, but that doesn't sound like him. Maybe he was drunk or something.

Very much like drinking and driving,drinking and postings can be dangerous to you and those around you.

Poor guy(MB) paid the ultimate price.

Let's hope no one else meets the same fate.......hum,maybe,just maybe .....one more. :rolleyes:

Poor MB, he was a little over the top, and I struggled with some of the logic he used. Mind you, he was a promenent voice representing a very real viewpoint from Canadian politics. A minority viewpoint for sure, but no less than some others represent. His comments did eventually get a little out of control and I'm confident that Greg took the right action.

It's a reasonable reminder to all of us to preview that post before submitting and really think about what we are saying. I've made inappropriate comments in haste before too, some of you really tick me off. :lol:

Shoop's banning I struggle with as it made no sense in perspective. But as a previous poster commented, we all have no idea what went on in private discussions there.

There are still a few very provocative posters here, mostly recent additions, that are so hard to debate without bringing in emotional arguments... as their 'facts' are mainly just emotional arguments. I fear that Shoop had scumbed to them.

• 4 weeks later...

Noticed Machinations was banned from the forum. What I dont understand is why some posters who continuously insult people and call them names don't seem to get banned.

I have read some pretty nasty insults from one poster who seems to still be here. Perhaps there could be some clarification of how exactly this works.

If two posters are insulting each other, why does only one get banned?

• Forum Admin
Noticed Machinations was banned from the forum. What I dont understand is why some posters who continuously insult people and call them names don't seem to get banned.

I have read some pretty nasty insults from one poster who seems to still be here. Perhaps there could be some clarification of how exactly this works.

If two posters are insulting each other, why does only one get banned?

The decision to ban someone isn't easily made because there are so many different factors to consider.

However, I always provide amble warnings to those who are breaking the rules, and it is often the reaction to those warnings that will determine whether the offending member will be banned or will stick around.

People make mistakes and emotions run high - I understand that. That is why I don't ban anyone for making a mistake. However, if that member repeatedly ignores my warnings or responds to my warnings with insults directed towards me, then there is a really good chance their tenure in the forums will be short.

If someone is using insults and being a pain the neck, the only response by other members should be to report the posts and ignore the poster. If, out of frustration, you respond to insults with insults, it because very difficult for me to remove those members who started the whole mess.

Feeding trolls only results in more trolling activity - I am always amazed that people don't realize this.

• Forum Admin
Was Kindred warned before she was banned? Or Machinations? Where are these warnings?

Warnings are issued through the internal warning system. These warnings are not made public. If you are warned, it will generally be issued through the internal PM system, however, it can also come as an email.

Wondering how do you access PM's if you are banned?
A member can simply be prevented from posting.
Is there a time limit? What if someone doesnt check the forum for awhile? Do you have to respond to a warning?
That is all up to the administrator's discretion.

Common sense and common decency generally applies. The best rule to follow is: act like you are a guest in somebody else's house.

• Forum Admin
Ok I was talking to Kindred on another forum and she said she did not receive a warning, just bang you are banned. :(

Kindred wasn't banned, she was suspended for 30 days. She's free to return after her suspension is up.

Wondering how do you access PM's if you are banned?

If you are banned, you can not access the PMs. However, when I ban someone, I either publicly state that I am banning that person, or I email them directly. Most offending members who end up being banned, know their fate long before I actually follow through.

Is there a time limit?

Bannings are permanent. Suspensions are only for a specified time - in most cases one month.

What if someone doesnt check the forum for awhile?

What does that have to do with being suspended or banned?

Do you have to respond to a warning?

If warned, it is in your best interest to accept the criticism and move on. If you want to respond with an explanation of the incident which lead to the warning, fine - but don't whine about the warnings. Like I said earlier, responding to my warning with insults and threats to me will do nothing but accelerate your departure from these forums.

Also note, I take a dim view of newcomers who post a few times and then take liberties with the rules. If there is a mix up between a long-time member of the forum and a newcomer, I'm far more likely to come down harder on the newcomer. The reason for this is simple, there are far more trolls who drop by for a drive-by-smear that I need to dispatch quickly before they drag all the long-time members into the gutter.

However, you don't have to look to far back in time to find a few long-time members who went overboard and had to be banned.

Why is Argus still here? I noticed he wastes no time in getting all over any new posters. He called Kindred a whore, he called idobbin a pedophile, he calls everyone a Jew Hater who doesnt support the genocide of the Lebanese people. He has constantly baited and insulted Machinations. Now he is coming after me, and I dont have the time or the inclination to play his games.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. I have been reading through the forum, he has referred to the Lebanese as filthy goat herders, he has referred to posters as pig ignorant morons and continually makes personal attacks and insults part of his posts. :(

The only warning I saw was for Machinations. I dont get the idea these suspended or banned posters were people who posted a few times to make trouble. I noticed if others who perhaps arent suspended or banned have stopped posting as often and its not hard to guess why. They all had a run-in with Argus, he is the common denominator in this.

It could be a good forum, but it isnt, not with Argus running the show and driving away good posters who have something to contribute.

It seems to me that the real trolls are the ones who might have been here for awhile and feel it is their forum and resent any new comers and anyone who has something intelligent to say.

Just my take on the forum, as a newcomer looking for a good forum for political discussion.

• Forum Admin

Man, I almost got sucked in there.

WillyNilly and Kindred are now permanently banned from these forums - a quick check of their IP addresses shows they are one person.

• Forum Admin

Perhaps,

but it would be an awfully large coincidence. I am aware that more than one poster can share a IP address on a network, however, in this case I've viewed the IP address and am confident that they are the same person - or atleast they are working together. Either way, unless it can be proved otherwise, they will both remain banned from these forums.

If any of you have a problem with the forums, take the matter up with me. Complaining about the moderation or another poster in the support forum isn't the right way to get your point across.

If you are feeling abused, ignore the offending poster and report the post to me. If someone is using insults and behaving like a troll and no one tells me, then there is a good chance I'll never find out until it is too late (I can't possibly read every thread). And if you let it get to the point where you blow your top and respond to the troll with insults, there is a good chance you'll both be getting into trouble.

Why is Argus still here? I noticed he wastes no time in getting all over any new posters. He called Kindred a whore,

I find that unlikely as I was unaware Kindred - well, you - were female. <shrug>

he called idobbin a pedophile,

To be fair, I used a ridiculous accusations which was obviously ridiculous in responding to his ridiculous accusation about me. However, I shouldn't have. I should just have reported him as I did you.

he calls everyone a Jew Hater who doesnt support the genocide of the Lebanese people.

Demonstrably untrue. But a lot of people get very emotional about seeing Lebanon on their TV every night, and don't like my dispassionate dismissal of their emotional arguments. They also don't like it when I treat wild-eyed claims like "genocide" less than respectfully.

And that is just the tip of the iceberg. I have been reading through the forum, he has referred to the Lebanese as filthy goat herders,

I don't think I ever referred to any "people" as filthy anything. I may have used the derisive term "goat herders" on occasion as a broad description of certain third world people, but then I am an arrogant SOB.

he has referred to posters as pig ignorant morons and continually makes personal attacks and insults part of his posts. :(

Find one recently.

The only warning I saw was for Machinations. I dont get the idea these suspended or banned posters were people who posted a few times to make trouble. I noticed if others who perhaps arent suspended or banned have stopped posting as often and its not hard to guess why. They all had a run-in with Argus, he is the common denominator in this.

Nonsense. The only common denominator is that I am a strong supporter of Israel's right to self defence, most likely THE strongest supporter here, and I tend to use logic and facts against emotional tirades from the other side. People who are genuinely (if foolishly) anguished about Lebanon tend to be outraged at me. Why, I must be a monster to defend those evil people!

It could be a good forum, but it isnt, not with Argus running the show and driving away good posters who have something to contribute.

Waving around pictures of dead babies is not my idea of a good debating tactic. You should try a solid, logical argument next time.

Man, I almost got sucked in there.

WillyNilly and Kindred are now permanently banned from these forums - a quick check of their IP addresses shows they are one person.

Yeah, I suspected that from the start. Three or four new posters showed up right after Kindred and Machinations left, on the same topics, with much the same arguments.

Why is Argus still here? I noticed he wastes no time in getting all over any new posters. He called Kindred a whore, he called idobbin a pedophile, he calls everyone a Jew Hater who doesnt support the genocide of the Lebanese people. He has constantly baited and insulted Machinations. Now he is coming after me, and I dont have the time or the inclination to play his games.

It would have helped if you were more of a sycophant. That can go a long way around here.