Social Assistance/ODSP

Guest ProudConservative
24 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

You are completely ignorant of the plight of homeless people.  Virtually all homeless people have horrific mental illnesses like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder etc, OR they were sexually molested as children and ran away from home or were taken from their parents and put in shitty group or foster homes and ran away.  I've worked with this population, what they've dealt with in their lives would crush most people.

Most aren't simply weak, many are survivors living in hell. How many people do you know who would spend years sleeping on a park bench in freezing temps with no family to turn to for help after running away after getting molested by their parent, spend Christmases growing up in group homes without family or any adult who loves them while eating sh!t out of dumpsters? Most people would commit suicide, but these folks keep on truckin.

These people have massive imbalances with their brain chemistry and lack the neuro chemicals like natural opioids/endorphins etc that make healthy people content, happy, relaxed, motivated etc so they do drugs in order to provide themselves with these chemicals their brains lack and desperately crave that's missing and everyone needs.  They also use drugs to cope with their emotional pain and escape their sh!tty reality.

Some people don't know how to sort themselves out.  That's the point of social services like social workers, psychologists, AA meetings etc.

So why don't we cut funding to useless areas, and create jobs for these people?

Edited by ProudConservative

Guest ProudConservative
22 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I grew up in Regent Park, I was robbed, beaten, stabbed, shot at, and was subjected to police brutality by 51 Division cops

Can I claim PTSD?

I bet  I could.

This isn't the kind of guy you would want to mess with!

Just now, Moonlight Graham said:

Ok so you have a lot of resilience.  Some people don't.  Some people get PTSD.

Again, I know lots of guys with PTSD and they themselves have no time for people wallowing in self pity.

They take responsibility, they recognize that they are injured, but they none the less just suck it up and get on with life.

Those who don't?  Can't save them from themselves.

Guest ProudConservative
13 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

The homeless are surviving, based on the fact they aren't dead.  Sometimes people need a hand to get themselves back on their feet, especially when they don't have any loving family to help support them through tough times.  That should be the point of social safety net.  It's a net, it shouldn't be a bed you sleep on forever.

Have schizophrenia?  Too bad so sad.  Suck it up, its a cruel world.

At $14 an hour, no employeer is going to take a chance on someone who even appears schizophrenic. They have like 10 to 15 other people lined up for the job interview. So the schizophrenic peroson could walk into 50 stores, and the manager will tell them to get lost.

If you're the weakest link, you won't get lucky 1 out of 50 times.

The person is seems more normal, will always beat you.

We got to get rid of the minimum wage to help these people.

The stupidest thing a vet can do, is tell an employer they served in the military. It's not a badge of honor to the business class.

No employeers is going to take a chance on someone who could have PTSD.

If you tell them about your service, they will be grateful to end the interview as quickly as possible.

Edited by ProudConservative

7 minutes ago, ProudConservative said:

This isn't the kind of guy you would want to mess with!

You have nothing to fear from me, because I would not mess with you, because I respect your right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Just don't give me a sob story, because I can't save you from yourself.

9 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

These people don't need life advice from an internet tough guy who is so tough he spends every waking moment posting on internet message boards.  Go get some fresh air and save us the self-righteousness ffs.  Did I hurt your feelings?  Suck it up and cry me a river tough guy

Sometimes you are brilliant, Moonlight. :D

• Like 1

Guest ProudConservative
6 minutes ago, jacee said:

Sometimes you are brilliant, Moonlight. :D

Why can't you respect what he has to say? I don't agree with everything he says, but he makes the debate more interesting... Let him speak.

3 minutes ago, ProudConservative said:

Why can't you respect what he has to say? I don't agree with everything he says, but he makes the debate more interesting... Let him speak.

Nobody is stopping him, not even those who don't like what he says.  They're just expressing their opinion, same as everybody. 

Why are so many conservatives so concerned that not everybody agrees with them?

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

As for being tough?  I would say that I am tough, although I owe all that to the Royal Canadian Regiment Battleschool, where they made me into a man of honor and iron.

As a result, I enjoy life, there's nothing in my past no matter how traumatic which prevents me from having a good time.

You seem to lack empathy, which is one symptom of PTSD.

To me you come across as brittle, not tough.  You talk a good talk, in hopes of never having to walk that walk.

But you could be the kindest, most giving and generous person, absolutely abhor violence, simply playing an alter-ego on here. 

1 minute ago, dialamah said:

You seem to lack empathy, which is one symptom of PTSD.

To me you come across as brittle, not tough.  You talk a good talk, in hopes of never having to walk that walk.

But you could be the kindest, most giving and generous person, absolutely abhor violence, simply playing an alter-ego on here. 

I am kind to my wife, my family and my friends, I exercise my right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, unburdened by the ceaseless sob stories of internet leftists

No crime where I come from. /shrugs

Guest ProudConservative
Just now, Dougie93 said:

Like I say, if you want to be tough and resilient and able to enjoy life as what you make of it, join the armed forces, it's the school of hard knocks, but they will make you strong.

And again, excellent pay, rations, quarters, and all training inlcuded

What year did you join the military?

1 minute ago, ProudConservative said:

I think the military was paid better 33 years ago. Canada is broke now.

No, Canada was the highest paid military in the world then, IIRC, it's the second highest paid in the world now, I think the Australians are the best paid now.

I never had any want for money in the army, plenty of money to enjoy myself, you're working so much, and the room and board is so cheap, you end up saving a lot of cash.

Guest ProudConservative
Just now, Dougie93 said:

No, Canada was the highest paid military in the world then, IIRC, it's the second highest paid in the world now, I think the Australians are the best paid now.

I never had any want for money in the army, plenty of money to enjoy myself, you're working so much, and the room and board is so cheap, you end up saving a lot of cash.

Forgive me if i'm going off topic... but I don't want to flood this place with new threads.... What is the biggest misconception about the military?

I'm telling you, the Canadian Forces is a great go, they literally pampered us, the training was world class, the pay was good, the rooms were nice, the food was great, there was always something to do, you had all your friends around you all the time, it was the best of times for a young single guy looking for a start in life.

2 minutes ago, ProudConservative said:

What is the biggest misconception about the military?

That they just boss you around and treat you like an automaton.  

That's actually what civilian jobs are like, in the military they give you missions and trust you to figure out how to get it done.

You are given way more autonomy and initiative and opportunities to be a leader than in any civilian workplace

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

I mean, do you know how easy it would be for me to claim I had PTSD?

I served half my life in the infantry, any doctor out there would accept my claim.

On what basis?  Because I said so, that's how easy it is.

So what is the result?   Everybody and their sister is claiming they have PTSD, it's ridiculous.

I've got PTSD just from reading your callous words.

Where do I claim my free money?

Edited by Iceni warrior

Just now, Dougie93 said:

That's actually what civilian jobs are like, in the military they give you missions and trust you to figure out how to get it done.

You are given way more autonomy and initiative and opportunities to be a leader than in any civilian workplace

This is what I found.  When people ask me about being in the army, one of the first things they say is "Oh I could never tolerate being told what to do all the time". 

Yeah right!

Guest ProudConservative
1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

Do you think businesses and corporations should design a hierarchy similar to the military?

3 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

This is what I found.  When people ask me about being in the army, one of the first things they say is "Oh I could never tolerate being told what to do all the time". 

Yeah right!

Well it's like they say Millennials thought they were going to come into the workforce and be able to take charge and lead.

Then they were disappointed to discover that the Boomers weren't going to let them be in charge of anything, they just wanted them to fetch coffee.

The army is what the Millennials were looking for, they sent me on my leadership course when I was only 19, the army is where young people are given a chance to lead.

Edited by Dougie93