Pretty boy aka our PM gives $12M to Loblaw's

4 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Why aren't the small grocery store owners given money from the government?

Are you sure they're not ?  There are lots of programs that you can use to get tax breaks - for home and small business.  There was one under Harper that I helped develop rebate calculators for.

4 hours ago, Argus said:

And did what with it?

That's a side discussion.  Actually it makes a lot more sense to make a big deal out of THAT than grocery store fridges.  But I believe Scheer likely believes that Westerners don't need to be reminded of any effort by the Trudeau government to do something for pipelines.

4 hours ago, Argus said:

1. There is far too much money going to corporations of every stripe in the form of various tax breaks and subsidies to get them to do things they'd probably themselves anyway, or could be ordered to do.

2. Some of it makes sense, intended to counteract unfair disadvantages from global competitors, but much of it is of no real value to Canadians.

3. Much like the way we protect our telcoms from world competition - and in exchange get pretty near the highest prices on Earth.

1. No argument from me there.

2. No argument from me there.

3. No argument from me there.  *Except* that the telecoms also somehow safeguard Canadian content, or are supposed to.  So I get that they can be protected, that there may be a national interest there.  But it's a little dubious.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 6:29 AM, Michael Hardner said:

And ?  He bought Trans Mountain for $4.6 BILLION

Precisely.

Some ignorant anti-Trudeau posters are obsessed about taxpayers losing $12 million.

Meanwhile, Trudeau Jnr spends $4.6 billion on something else.

=====

OP-guy, if you dislike Trudeau's spending priorities, please show your understanding of numbers.

In our federal budget, $12 million or so is a rounding error.

Or do you mean that $12 million is an incentive. For example, the $10 million or so that Canadian taxpayers - according to the Canadian State, our current rule of law - gave to someone opposed to Canada.

These payments supposedly create incentives so that the State does not infringe on personal freedom. 

Edited by August1991

3 hours ago, August1991 said:

1. Meanwhile, Trudeau Jnr spends $4.6 billion on something else.

2. In our federal budget, $12 million or so is a rounding error.

1. Scheer won't point it out, though, because looking at this it seems like Trudeau did something for the west.  :O

2. But.... Loblaws is an eastern company and western voters will recognize that... but eastern voters won't :)  eastern voters won't realize that Scheer picked Loblaws to point out to the west that the Liberals are screwing them again... they will see the story as simply a waste of money.  and $12M means something to the average person even if it's a rounding error.

Our politics has outgrown democracy... people can't understand the issues anymore.

• Like 1