China corrupting Chinese immigrants in Canada

Argus

8 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I don't really judge people by their income, frankly, it is rather a lucktocracy, like winning the Stanley Cup, you need the bounces to go your way, people attempt to start businesses and fail all the time, most business ventures are failures actually, but pretty sure that's not an nefarious plot against Canada.

I don't judge them by that either, I am simply pointing out that when it comes to economic success among immigrant groups, the Chinese are not near the bottom of the list, they are near the top. Don't let Argus's cherry picked stats mislead you into thinking that the Taiwanese, Chinese and South Koreans are about as economically successful as immigrant groups as the Haitians, Afghanis and Ethiopians, not that you fell for it or anything.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

I don't judge them by that either, I am simply pointing out that when it comes to economic success among immigrant groups, the Chinese are not near the bottom of the list, they are near the top. Don't let Argus's cherry picked stats mislead you into thinking that the Taiwanese, Chinese and South Koreans are about as economically successful as immigrant groups as Haitians and Afghani's , not that you fell for it or anything.

The Chinese mostly have to buy their way into Canada by way of the points system which emphasizes investment, whereas Haitians and Afghans are mostly refugees claiming asylum, so right out of the gate the Chinese are at an advantage and the Hatians and Afghans are at a disadvantage would seem.

I would prefer immigrants over refugees, but it's two separate laws we are dealing with there, immigration and asylum are not the same thing.

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

The Chinese mostly have to buy their way into Canada by way of the points system which emphasizes investment, whereas Haitians and Afghans are mostly refugees claiming asylum, so right out of the gate the Chinese are at an advantage and the Hatians and Afghans are at a disadvantage would seem.

I would prefer immigrants over refugees, but it's two separate laws we are dealing with there, immigration and asylum are not the same thing.

True, it is comparing apples to oranges because of that, that's a good point.

In terms of specific Chinese people being nefarious, an OPP organized crime officer once told me that the Chinese mafia is the richest of them all, while at the same time keeps the lowest profile.

So even when being nefarious, they are apparently the highest of the high rollers.

Criminals do spend a lot of money, because they don't have anywhere to put it, so if Canada were in fact a private corporation bent on profit for its own sake, nefarious Chinese mafias would meet the threshold of "profit center" and "revenue stream".

Edited by Dougie93

1 hour ago, Yzermandius19 said:

The Chinese do very well outside of China, Chinese Americans make more than Swiss Americans or Canadian Americans, for instance. The Chinese are near the top of the list of ethnic groups, I'd like to see emigrate to Canada more, especially when it comes to the Hong Kong Chinese, and certainly closer to the top than they are the middle or the end of the list.

None of the stats you cite actually refute that at all.

They don't? Maybe you need to provide your definition of 'do very well'. My definition includes "makes a good salary and pays tax instead of being a drain on the treasury'. According to the government's own study that is not the case. In addition, stats Canada shows immigrants from Europe make far more money than immigrants from Asia.

Then there's this, from Stats Canada

For the 2005 cohort, the median wages in 2015 were $50,000 for male immigrant tax filers born in Europe and $51,000 for those born in the United States, compared to $30,000 for those born in East Asia.

I don't judge them by that either, I am simply pointing out that when it comes to economic success among immigrant groups, the Chinese are not near the bottom of the list, they are near the top. Don't let Argus's cherry picked stats mislead you into thinking that the Taiwanese, Chinese and South Koreans are about as economically successful as immigrant groups as the Haitians, Afghanis and Ethiopians, not that you fell for it or anything.

Ah, I see. My stats are cherry picked - from the government of Canada. No doubt you have better stats that prove your point about them being at the top of the list then. I eagerly await your posting of them.

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

Ah, I see. My stats are cherry picked - from the government of Canada. No doubt you have better stats that prove your point about them being at the top of the list then. I eagerly await your posting of them.

Your stats cherry pick the lowest end earners of various groups, not the average income of different ethnic groups. Just because you got the stats from Stats Canada doesn't mean the stats paint the picture you claim they do, you picked bad stats to judge which immigrant groups are economically successful, to make the Chinese look bad, which fits your confirmation bias.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Cherry pickers gonna cherry pick stats in a lame attempt to back up their confirmation bias. For example the Taiwanese are the third most economically successful ethnic group in America by average income, yet Argus's stats have the likes of Taiwan, China and South Korea grouped in with the likes of Haiti and Afghanistan, in a clearly misleading comparison.

I'm not sure where you're from, but on this board, when talking about immigration to Canada, we accept statistics and reports from the government of Canada, not whatever American crap you manage to dig up which is not relevant to this country. And since so far all you've done is run your mouth I'll assume the only actual information you have was plucked from your ass.

Your stats cherry pick the lowest end earners of various groups, not the average income of different ethnic groups. Just because you got the stats from Stats Canada doesn't mean the stats paint the picture you claim they do.

You pretend that a report from the Immigration department and statistics from Stats Canada are 'cherry picked' information? Seriously? Do you actually think anyone reading that isn't laughing?  I didn't just post stats I posted plain English words - maybe that's a language you don't understand. Maybe it mystifies you, like statistics do. But since you've got nothing whatsoever to counter them but anal gasses I'm afraid we'll go with what the government is saying.

4 minutes ago, Argus said:

I'm not sure where you're from, but on this board, when talking about immigration to Canada, we accept statistics and reports from the government of Canada, not whatever American crap you manage to dig up which is not relevant to this country. And since so far all you've done is run your mouth I'll assume the only actual information you have was plucked from your ass.

Go look at the average income of ethnic groups in Canada, use Stats Canada if you want, you are cherry picking stats that don't show the whole picture, to make Chinese immigrants seem less economically successful than they actually are. Look at the income of Chinese Canadians and compare that average income to Haitian Canadians, you'll notice the Chinese Canadians make significantly more, and the stat you are citing is leading you to a faulty conclusion.

Edited by Yzermandius19

3 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Your stats cherry pick the lowest end earners of various groups, not the average income of different ethnic groups.

Learn. To. Read. The first report was on source countries which, on average, produced the most economically and least economically successful immigrants. The second report was a statistical average as well.

19 hours ago, Scott Mayers said:

I never heard of this one. I'm part of the skeptic community that is often critical of biblical faults and if this one were there it would be one of those statements which would garner a lot of noise there. A quick Google check on this also lacks much other than to someone (a British celebrity or relative?) stating that in the 1990s. 

I am no bible thumper but I sure wish that I could produce that quote as to where it is written in the bible. I guess that I will have to back off on that one for now. Aw well. :)

Go look at the average income of ethnic groups in Canada,

I don't need to go look. It's not my job to back up your spurious claims when I've presented legitimate government data you ignore.

Learn to debate. Learn to provide your own cites.

Learn. To. Read. The first report was on source countries which, on average, produced the most economically and least economically successful immigrants. The second report was a statistical average as well.

No your report cherry picked the percentage of immigrant groups who make under a certain level of income, your stats did not include the average income of all Chinese Canadians and comparing that to the average income of other ethnic groups in Canada, the Chinese are near the top of that list, not the bottom.

Edited by Yzermandius19

19 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

It's not in scripture, he's likely referencing The Yellow Peril by eugenic Evangelical Pastor G. G Rupert, circa 1911

Fake news, from a hundred years ago. 

I know that I read it somewhere. You may be right. 

No your report cherry picked the percentage of immigrant groups who make under a certain level of income, your stats did not include the average income of all Chinese Canadians.

It divided immigrants into the nations they came from and gave the average income of people from that nation. Do you not understand how statistical averages work? Do you not know what Statistics Canada is? Are you writing in from Russia or something?

6 minutes ago, taxme said:

I am no bible thumper but I sure wish that I could produce that quote as to where it is written in the bible. I guess that I will have to back off on that one for now. Aw well. :)

The quote in scripture is not "Yellow Races", the quote that G.G. Rupert invoked in The Yellow Peril is from Revelations; "The Kings of the East"

But in Revelations,  that is referencing to the east of the Euphrates River, so that's not the Chinese, it's the Persians.

This is the generally accepted historical origin of the fake news which you are propagating.  Again, fake news from over a century ago.

Edited by Dougie93

I don't need to go look. It's not my job to back up your spurious claims when I've presented legitimate government data you ignore.

Learn to debate. Learn to provide your own cites.

Dude, you only want to look at stats that seem to support your own position, when I use your own source to tell you that other stats that are far more relevant paint a far different picture, you ignore them and don't want to look them up. Stats Canada does not agree with your assessment, you just want to only look at certain stats that don't matter to the point you are making while ignoring the stats that actually do matter.

8 minutes ago, Argus said:

It divided immigrants into the nations they came from and gave the average income of people from that nation. Do you not understand how statistical averages work? Do you not know what Statistics Canada is? Are you writing in from Russia or something?

Not in the article you posted. The average income stats can be looked up, you just refuse to do so, while mistaking another stat entirely for average income. You cherry picked the average income of the lowest earning Chinese immigrants, about 1/5th of the total immigrants from China, as the income average of all Chinese immigrants, it's not the same thing, not even close.

If you cherry picked the highest earning Chinese immigrants, about 1/5th of the total immigrants from China, the stats would of course paint a far rosier picture of Chinese immigrants economic success, as would actually taking the average income of the entire group and comparing that to other ethnic groups.

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Not in the article you posted. The average income stats can be looked up, you just refuse to do so, while mistaking another stat entirely for average income. You cherry picked the average income of the lowest earning Chinese immigrants about 1/5th of the total, as the income average of all Chinese immigrants, it's not the same thing, not even close.

You are confused. And I lack the willingness to further explain to you how governments produce statistics. Nor am I going to provide you with research to support your statements. Go put your big-boy pants on and do your own damn research.

This is from the site guidelines.

Research Your Post

If you are stating a fact, be prepared to back it up with some official sources (website links etc). It is also important to structure your post in a way that everyone can understand. That means writing complete sentences and paragraphs with the appropriate grammar. If for some reason, you enjoy writing long confusing sentences and paragraphs riddled with poor grammar and spelling mistakes, your post, and therefore your opinions, will likely be discarded.

Therefore, it is in your best interest to make sure that your post includes sufficient sources and contains a well-researched and well-organized argument.

So it is incumbent upon you to back up what you state as facts. Or if incapable of doing so, bow before he who has defeated you - that's me.

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

You are confused. And I lack the willingness to further explain to you how governments produce statistics. Nor am I going to provide you with research to support your statements. Go put your big-boy pants on and do your own damn research.

This is from the site guidelines.

Research Your Post

If you are stating a fact, be prepared to back it up with some official sources (website links etc). It is also important to structure your post in a way that everyone can understand. That means writing complete sentences and paragraphs with the appropriate grammar. If for some reason, you enjoy writing long confusing sentences and paragraphs riddled with poor grammar and spelling mistakes, your post, and therefore your opinions, will likely be discarded.

Therefore, it is in your best interest to make sure that your post includes sufficient sources and contains a well-researched and well-organized argument.

So it is incumbent upon you to back up what you state as facts. Or if incapable of doing so, bow before he who has defeated you - that's me.

Research that states the opposite of what you claim it does, does not constitute winning where I come from. I'm using your own source, but you don't want to look any deeper at your own stats, because you are afraid they won't say what you think they do. If anyone is confused around here, it's you. You want everyone to do your own homework, you cited Stats Canada, it's your job to make sure the stats you are citing actually paint the picture you think they do, and you have failed to do so.

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

He's right tho, Yellow Peril moral panic is classic paranoid racism.  It's straight out of the 19th century.

Not that I don't love the 19th century, but,  you know, they were paranoid racists.

God save the Queen, but not the Head Tax, we don't have to keep the stupid shit.

It seems like no one of some ethnic origin is allowed to say anything negative anymore about and towards any other ethnic people. We all must now just kiss each others butt and ignore what the other ethnic people are doing whether right or wrong. That does not work well for me. If the blue people are doing nasty things to the green people then it should be exposed and talked about. It does not have be seen as being racist for doing so. I am getting sick and tired of that word racist being thrown around willy-nilly.

The word racist is always being thrown at someone because it is one way of trying to shut down the topic and debate. If someone says to some green person to get out of my blue neighborhood you rotten green batard well then that can be considered as saying something racist. If I as a white person have a feud and a problem with some non-white person that does not mean that I am a racist. So far I have not seen any real racism going on here ever. But with some members here they seem to want to make some words mentioned here as racist and they then yell racism at someone because they did not like what they had to say. They need to go get a life. 

I know that the people of Quebec do not sing "God Save The Queen" and they never ever will. The English Canadian Queen is not their Queen.  That would be seen as blasphemy in french Quebec. Just saying.  

Actually, the Queen is central to the Pequistes argument, if Canada was a republic for instance, then ceding from Canada would probably mean war, but what the Pequistes argue, and the Supreme Court has agreed, is that each province has its own relationship with the Queen independent of Ottawa, and since Canada is a Confederation under monarchy, the Queen defends the right, to include Quebec's right to cede from Confederation.   Without the Queen, there is no referendums, so they need the Queen most of all.

2 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Indeed.  And as Turnigrite is want to invoke "hate speech"?

By my reading of the law, it is not hate speech to comment on the published testimony of an individual by the context and terms of their own speech.

It may however be hate speech to publish that the "Chinese" in general are engaged in some sort of nefarious plot against the Crown of Canada.

Why? What if it is true? Why should no one be allowed to expose that threat without being called a hater? Between the words "racist" and "hate", I do not know as to which word is worse? All I know is that those two words are bandied about around here a lot. Does anyone here know what real racism and real hate speech looks or sounds like? It does not appear so. I never see any real racism or real hatred being thrown around here. Some people need to get their act together and grow up and quit with using those two childish words mentioned above where it is not warranted. :P