Cities TO Get Seat At Federal Table

Cities to get say at federal level, vows PM

Prime Minister Paul Martin says he will give Canada's cities the seat at the table they've been looking for on major federal decisions.

Martin told the Federation of Canadian Municipalities that he wants to make a fundamental shift in the way different levels of government work together.

"For too long you've been under-funded. For too long you've had little input into shaping the national agenda," Martin told more than 1,000 delegates at the federation's annual meeting.

The global economy is changing and Canada itself is facing a ``demographic evolution" as baby boomers grow older, he said.

In order to cope with those changes, "we must do what governments have been too often unable or unwilling to do," Martin said in his speech.

"We must plan ahead and have got to find better ways of working together."

But just how many seats at which tables was a question left unanswered.

The Conservatives have already said that a greater role for cities could open up a constitutional debate.

But Martin said there will be no problem.

"There is no intention to interfere in provincial jurisdiction," he told reporters. "We recognize the role and responsibility of the provinces and we respect them."

There he goes again promising everything to everybody. He really is a compulsive liar, our prime minister.

There he goes again pr0omising everything to everybody. He really is a compulsive liar, our prime minister.

Martin promised this back in 2000 in one of his speeches to the FCM. In 2000, Paul Martin created the Canada Infrastructure Fund. On May 31, 2002 Paul Martin spoke of dedicated gas taxes point to members of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities.

Sept. 25, 2003 “We are obviously pleased with Mr. Martin’s directness and continued commitment to a new deal for Canada’s municipalities.”

Martin reiterated proposals he made at FCM’s annual meeting in Winnipeg last May including an offer to share the federal fuel excise tax with municipal governments and the establishment of new mechanisms for intergovernmental relations.

In his speech today, Martin did say that he was not going to be by passing provinces.

EXCLUSIVE POWERS OF PROVINCIAL LEGISLATURES

Subjects of exclusive Provincial Legislation 

92.  In each Province the Legislature may exclusively make Laws in relation to Matters coming within the Classes of Subjects next hereinafter enumerated; that is to say,

8.  Municipal Institutions in the Province. 

Constitution Act, 1867

Precisely my point, and the reason for the thread title.

PM Martin is talking through his hat offering things that he has no jurisdiction over but so typical of him. He comes across verbally as wanting to be on everyone's good side but in reality he delivers dick. You know something similiar to that massive majority government of 250 seats he was supposed to win in the last election. PM Martin is becoming more and more of a baffoon every day. Mr Dithers will be a very mild description before he is done.

Precisely my point.

PM Martin is talking through his hat offering things that he has no jurisdiction over but so typical of him. He comes across verbally as wanting to be on everyone's good side but in reality he delivers dick. You know something similiar to that massive majority government of 250 seats he was supposed to win in the last election. PM Martin is becoming more and more of a baffoon every day. Mr Dithers will be a very mild description before he is done.

I agree with every word of this :)

Like "addressing the democratic deficit", whistleblower protection, and "Paulberta", it looks like another Martin promise that when "Mr Delivers" delivers, you'll need an electron microscope to detect the results.

-kimmy

{Paul Martin is revolutionizing Canadian politics the same way New Coke revolutionized soft drinks. Martin is the biggest flop since The Adventures of Pluto Nash.}

EXCLUSIVE POWERS OF PROVINCIAL LEGISLATURES

Subjects of exclusive Provincial Legislation 

92.  In each Province the Legislature may exclusively make Laws in relation to Matters coming within the Classes of Subjects next hereinafter enumerated; that is to say,

8.  Municipal Institutions in the Province. 

I wondering if giving money away classifies as making laws?

Joking aside, I am pretty sure transportation is a federal or joint juristiction so supporting cities in narrowly defined areas is likley constitutional.

I share the sketicism of other posters regarding PM ability to deliver.

I wondering if giving money away classifies as making laws?
I wondered about that too. A question for the Supreme Court, but I have my own idea of the BNA Act's intent.
I am pretty sure transportation is a federal or joint juristiction so supporting cities in narrowly defined areas is likley constitutional.
The BNA Act's Section 92 is clearer on this question, which I quote (sorry) at length:
10.  Local Works and Undertakings other than such as are of the following Classes: 

a)  Lines of Steam or other Ships, Railways, Canals, Telegraphs, and other Works and Undertakings connecting the Province with any other or others of the Provinces, or extending beyond the Limits of the Province: 

B)  Lines of Steam Ships between the Province and any British or Foreign Country:

c)  Such Works as, although wholly situate within the Province, are before or after their Execution declared by the Parliament of Canada to be for the general Advantage of Canada or for the Advantage of Two or more of the Provinces

I think "urban transportation" would meet that definition.

But let's be real. PM PM has money and wants votes. ROC city mayors will take any cash available. Quebec mayors play the game.

----

The Steamship reference is fun. It means not only did PM PM's Dad choose his name to be PM, but Desmarais chose a constitutionally defined occupation for PM PM. How more Canadian PM can PM PM be? (Say that fast! Un chasseur sachant chasser sait chasser sans son chien.)

PM Martin is talking through his hat offering things that he has no jurisdiction over but so typical of him.

Hooey. Giving away money, or carrying out federal stuff in ways cities ask for creates no jurisdictional problems at all.

If they tried to do something the impinged on provincial powers, the provinces can take it to court.

Yeah, but Martin didn't just talk about giving away cash. The article says he's talking about about "a fundamental shift n the way different levels of government work together." He talks about a seat at the table. He talks about "input into shaping the national agenda."

If he's just talking about giving away money, well, really, that's nothing new. That's what Canada's been about for over 130 years.

-k

Guest eureka

There is nothing at all unconstitutional about the federal government giving money to the Provinces or any other body for any purpose whatsoever. And, as has been pointed out, some of the areas are federal jurisdiction.

The federal government also has an overriding power to fill in where provinces are deliberately negligent.

For, Bakunin! It was a Quebec premier who first "invaded" another province's jusrisdiction with money. Mercier gave money to Catholic schools in Ontario.

He had a perfect right to do so. As does Canada have a perfect right to give money to any body in Quebec that opposes the rotten dream of the Separatists.

Kimmy! The seat at the table is for Budget preparation and discussion of the needs of cities. Nothing wrong with that and it is about time too.

I have been advocating for years that the federal government should "bypass" the Provinces where it can and in particular with reapect to municipalities. All provinces have neglected the urban communities in the exercise of their Constitutional power over them. It seems that there is a determination of provincial politicians to always show who is boss.

The unwieldy provincial structure of Canada has been crying out for change anyway. Any time you see chance to improve things thwarted, there's about a 70% chance one or more provinces is to blame.

Meanwhile, what good do the provincial governments do for their citizens? They're just one more layer of government to siphon money around for political purposes, and most provinces are too large to properly represent local interests. Canada should have about 18-23 provinces/territories, with some based on the metropolitan hinterlands of our larges cities.