Were religions the first propagators of Fake News?

French Patriot

3 minutes ago, Don Jonas said:

God is a word that describes the force that created the universe. The true nature of this force may be beyond our ken, but it is linked to our psyche and our capacity to generate love (ergo, we are created in His image).

Oh, you mean the Big Bang!  Why didn't you say so?

I don't see the love connection though...

And if we were created in it's image, wouldn't we take up more space, and find it more difficult to keep food down?

You don't see love? I see it everywhere. I think your concept of love is probably actually similar to mine, as is your concept of your own psyche, which exists on a natural (or what you might mistakenly call supernatural), separate plane from the rest of our physical existence.

And maybe our conceptions of what I call God and you call the Big Bang are not that different, once we dig deeper. Both are concepts of a mysterious force that is difficult for us to imagine.

28 minutes ago, Don Jonas said:

You don't see love? I see it everywhere. I think your concept of love is probably actually similar to mine, as is your concept of your own psyche, which exists on a natural (or what you might mistakenly call supernatural), separate plane from the rest of our physical existence.

And maybe our conceptions of what I call God and you call the Big Bang are not that different, once we dig deeper. Both are concepts of a mysterious force that is difficult for us to imagine.

I didn't say I didn't see love.  I said I didn't see the connection.  As a lapsed RC I have been informed of the connection many times.  I still don't see it.

It's all just chemistry to me.

20 minutes ago, Don Jonas said:

It is all "just" chemistry, but doesn't the undeniable existence of that psyche in your skull give you a sense of more than just chemistry?

Granted it's complicated.   Philosophers through the ages haven't been able to define or explain it so I sure can't.  I'm not going with the "God" answer though.  I think it takes more effort than that.

19 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Granted it's complicated.   Philosophers through the ages haven't been able to define or explain it so I sure can't.  I'm not going with the "God" answer though.  I think it takes more effort than that.

It's not so complicated that science can't explain it, I'd suggest reading The Feeling Of What Happens: Body, Emotion and the Making of Consciousness by neuroscientist Antonio Damasio,.

Its a bit of a slog but this book can do more to strip away the fanciful albeit inappropriate notions that result in the confusion about what we are.  This knowledge coupled with our knowledge of astrophysics gives us a pretty clear explanation where and what we are.  It really doesn't take much effort to get your head around your own mind - that said keep a dictionary handy when reading Damasio's book. 

Edited by eyeball