Belinda DEFECTS!?!?!

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's going to HRDC....she's going to be responsible for implementing whatever Gomery says should be implemented.

So you have Brison cleaning things up in Gagliano's old nest, and Belinda cleaning things up after Gomery.

I think it's brilliant.

Stronach has always been my favourite Conservative, along with Brison. And now that they've both defected, you know, I have fewer problems voting Liberal now.

I have concerns...I want the mess cleaned up and checks put in place to ensure that it doesn't happen ever again. So we'll see if she can implement it.

I was holding out for Stronach to moderate the Con party, and clearly they won't moderate...they've forced 2 great moderate people away...so man, this makes me just smile. What a surprise!

"Last thursday I went to a dinner...ran into two long time friends...I gave david a call the next day...and we had a chat, and he said how are things going?...look, I'm a crossroads, we have a vote, and there are issues I'm concerned about...I could leave politics...but I'm in it for public service...several discussions over the weekend, david and I met for many hours...david spoke with the PM...PM made the offer, which I accepted...so I reflected on it, it was very, very difficult for me...and that's how I can best serve my constituents and my country"

"it's not my intention to get personal, nor will I, but I do have a concern that lining up with the Bloc is not good for canada to trigger an election."

The Cons will respond by insulting her and refuting her points that the Cons arn't moderate enough.

I think she's right.

The Cons are stuck at 31 percent...and they're not moving.

I was pinning my hopes on her to change things in that party, and now that she's gone, well, there's no hope for the party in ever swinging towards the centre.

Well, let's see how the Cons beat up on her, I for one will defend her.

The Conservative talking head on "Politics with Don Newman" is already suggesting that she's an opportunist.

I don't believe so. I think she's like Brison...couldn't moderate it...they wouldn't change...she looked uncomfy on that side of the house, so she left.

Now the Cons, instead of facing the truth...they're not moderate enough, will resort to denial and calling her an opportunist.

It's always easier to deny than to change.

This looks to be pretty devastating to the CPC.

I did think that Belinda.ca would be a moderating influence in the party, and also someone who was critical in the CPC's efforts to reach former PC voters. Losing her probably deals a serious blow. This makes me less likely to support the CPC. I'm going to have to do a lot of reflection.

If she went to Harper to talk about her concerns and his reaction was more or less STFU, then he's probably made a fatal mistake. (But if she crossed without any attempt to hash things out with Harper, then it doesn't reflect very well on her, in my view.)

If she's going to be in charge of enforcing Gomery's recommendations, then that (in my view) makes those efforts more credible.

The appearance created by Belinda.ca's defection is obviously a huge blow to the CPC. But how much of that is because of the appearance created by the defection, and how much is because Belinda herself is a big political asset?

I think some of both.

Why she was an asset to the CPC:

-she was the only high profile "red tory" in the party.

-only high profile member with appeal to young female voters

Why she'll be an asset to the Liberals:

-she's a high-profile member untainted by any connection to the Chretienites or scandal

She can't speak french. She's an awkward orator. She's largely a product of celebrity-- she's a young, attractive, rich, jet-setting blonde who just happens to be an MP and former leadership candidate. For all that, she's still one of the best known MPs the CPC had, and this looks devastating to their efforts.

-k

What a shocker! I guess Martin made her "an offer she couldn't refuse". I think she's a political prostitute. There's not much difference between the CPC then and now. Harper is right when he says "a red tory is just a euphemism for liberal", she's always just been a conservative in name only. Don't gloat to much fella's. This just solidify's western conservative support and probably further secures support for BQ.

Belinda was told STFU on same sex marriage. I remember that well.

In the interview, she did in fact bring up her issues to Harper, and I assume that the response was STFU.

Huge mistake Harper. You had to moderate.

Losing both Brison and Stronach...it's a pattern of moderates leaving the party.

I agree with you Kimmy.

The defection makes me more likely to support the Liberals...just because she is committed to cleaning it up.

Fuck You

Don't twist my words.

I miss Reagan is a member of the Members group and has 651 posts.

Your support of the CPC hinges on Canada's Paris Hilton?

Again, demonstration of hatred, and general disrespect for her gender.

-----

There's no twisting going on...I'm quoting you directly, and there's not taking out of context here.

----

Harper is bashing her...going very negative. Now delving into their relationship and commeting on McKay's feelings...after she said explicitely that it was a personal matter.

No honour.

I think she's a political prostitute.

Spoken like a true Conservative.

I wonder why, with attitudes towards women like that, why women don't vote for the Con party, and why Belinda left.

Bravo, thank you for proving my point.

Trying to equivocate the meaning of my comment.... Spoken like a true liberal.

"no Grand principles, just ambition"

pfft.

Julie Van Dusen asked her directly: will you run for the Liberal leadership?

She replied "No" without hesitation.

As a moderate myself, I understand her discomfort, and I believe her.

-----

I don't think Harper helped himself during that press conference.

It was brutal.

What a shocker! I guess Martin made her "an offer she couldn't refuse". I think she's a political prostitute. There's not much difference between the CPC then and now. Harper is right when he says "a red tory is just a euphemism for liberal", she's always just been a conservative in name only. Don't gloat to much fella's. This just solidify's western conservative support and probably further secures support for BQ.

Uh...western conservative support is pretty solid all along: I don't think the departure of a rich, female Easterner will make a difference to the Cons' base. What thi swill do is stall the Tories in Ontario where it really counts. this is an indictment of Harper's leadership and how the Cons unwillingness to bend on social issues will continue to work against them.

Not that it matters to the Con bitter-enders: they'll continue to blame the voters for the fact that their party has squandered a golden opportunity. Any other party in the Cons' situation would have blown the Liberals away, but the Cons can still barely crack 30 per cent. Maybe its time for a little soul searching.

This makes me less likely to support the CPC. I'm going to have to do a lot of reflection.

WTF Kimmy? Your support of the CPC hinges on Canada's Paris Hilton? That's pretty weak if you ask me.

My support for the CPC hinges on my belief that they're a "big tent" with room for moderates... today's events make me wonder if the tent is as big as I thought. I don't think you can dismiss how important she was in the party, IMR. She wasn't just "Canada's Paris Hilton". She was also the party's bridge to more moderate voters like myself. She was also the party's bridge to young female voters like myself.

Get ready for lots and lots of Rona Ambrose, the CPC's only other woman under about 50. She's already been handed Stronach's former responsibilities as trade critic. I think Rona speaks 4 or 5 languages, as opposed to Stronach's 1.

Just watching Paul Martin speak; the press corps giggling as Martin asserts that Thursday's vote is still in the air. "I'll tell you, I can count..." Martin says, trying to keep a straight face.

-k

Uh...western conservative support is pretty solid all along: I don't think the departure of a rich, female Easterner will make a difference to the Cons' base. What thi swill do is stall the Tories in Ontario where it really counts. this is an indictment of Harper's leadership and how the Cons unwillingness to bend on social issues will continue to work against them.

Ya I know I meant to say it will increase support for western separation. Little by little support for it grows. If the libs win again it'll help, if they keep implementing programs like Kyoto and gun control it helps, if Quebec goes it helps....

Not that it matters to the Con bitter-enders: they'll continue to blame the voters for the fact that their party has squandered a golden opportunity. Any other party in the Cons' situation would have blown the Liberals away, but the Cons can still barely crack 30 per cent. Maybe its time for a little soul searching.

I'm not sure how we've squandered a golden opportunity. By not becoming "Liberal light"? The true strikes against us are that Harper is falsely portrayed by the media as not being from Ontario, being extreme, being boring (ironically this week he's somehow "too angry"). It's a tough fight.