Your thoughts on the Libertarian Party of Canada?

https://www.libertarian.ca/

I'm still undecided and it would depend more on who the local candidate is more than the party itself. That said, as for the party platform itself, though I don't agree with all of it, I do like it. In fact, much of it looks similar to Maxime Bernier's position. I could see the Libertarian Party capitalizing on this and maybe even collaborating with Bernier to let him run as an independent in his riding (or join the Libertarian Party, as he prefers), and the Libertarian party field a candidate Canada-wide.

There are things the Libertarian Party would dismantle that i might not want to dismantle, especially when it comes to drug restrictions for example. That said, I think the Libertarian Party could clean up the house and, if it does dismantle things it shouldn't have (like legalizing drugs, etc.) we can always decriminalize them later. For now though, we could use that party to dismantle the dairy cartel and promote free trade for example.

I could even see the Libertarian and Conservative Parties joining to form the Liberal-Conservative Party of Canada.

Edited by Machjo

Despite the fact that Tim Moen, the leader of the libertarian party, has invited Bernier to take over as leader of the party multiple times, Bernier has not accepted that invitation. In addition, Tim Moen doesn't plan for the libertarian party to join Bernier's party. Currently, they are not going to collaborate, which is a shame. There are apparently differences over issues such as immigration & health care that they have difficulty with.

On 8/27/2018 at 4:19 PM, Bonam said:

Canadians want "peace, order, and good government". 

Probably, but speaking for myself; in the near complete absence of the latter I'd be willing to forgo the first two for awhile - so we can better learn why we need the good in government in the first place and above all else.

I'm serious, I'm all for burning the effing thing to the ground and rebuilding from scratch.  I'm reminded of that refrain we often hear from our neighbours about blood, liberty and some patriotic tree.   But wtf do they know about good government? They wouldn't know one if it hit them with a shovel.

Edited by eyeball

Libertarian. Probably a good name for the Party.......a lot of unconnected voters might very well think it was a cool, new Liberal Party. Perhaps those young first-time Liberals who were suckered last time might jump on board. Seems to be a lot of.....well, not the deepest thinkers out there.

On 9/5/2018 at 3:27 PM, Army Guy said:

Take a trip to Afghanistan and take a look around as see what burnt to the ground looks like...

Not burnt by themselves though and despite the concerted effort of just about every super-rogue and their allies on the planet Afghanistan is still resisting.

..you don't know how good you got it, until it's gone....

Probably an old Afghan saying.