U.S. imposing steel and aluminum tariffs on Canada, Mexico and Europe

1 hour ago, Machjo said:

... I don't believe that Canadians have any clear agreement on what precisely our values are.

Indeed, but many think no matter what they may be, they are a defense for the American barbarians at the gate.  

Some only need the very general definition of Canadian values as "not American".

USMCA chips away a little more at such quaint notions by forcing the CRTC to allow carriage for American shopping networks (previously denied).

2 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Indeed, but many think no matter what they may be, they are a defense for the American barbarians at the gate.  

Some only need the very general definition of Canadian values as "not American".

USMCA chips away a little more at such quaint notions by forcing the CRTC to allow carriage for American shopping networks (previously denied).

And we should have just called it a revised version of NAFTA. USMCA is just too damned difficult to pronounce as a word.

Edited by Machjo

10 minutes ago, Machjo said:

And we should have just called it a revised notion of NAFTA. USMCA is just too damned difficult to pronounce as a word.

Maybe....but the Americans have "values" as well, including nationalism.   Trump wanted to put his scent on the agreement.

Though awkward to pronounce as an acronym, I think it helps to elevate Mexico, so often discounted as part of North America in CanAm media.

19 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Maybe....but the Americans have "values" as well, including nationalism.   Trump wanted to put his scent on the agreement.

Though awkward to pronounce as an acronym, I think it helps to elevate Mexico, so often discounted as part of North America in CanAm media.

Ha ha, are you pretending that the US elevates Mexico's status more than Canada does?  What a snow job.  I seem to remember Trump talking about all the drug pushers and rapists coming up from Mexico, though he did say that "some of them are good people."  So charitable.

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Ha ha, are you pretending that the US elevates Mexico's status more than Canada does?  What a snow job.  I seem to remember Trump talking about all the drug pushers and rapists coming up from Mexico, though he did say that "some of them are good people."  So charitable.

???   What part of "CanAm" media don't you understand ?   (Canadian/American)

1 hour ago, Machjo said:

I totally agree that Trump is making matters worse for his country and ours. That said, just what are these 'Canadian' values? The PQ was slammed two elections ago over its Charter of Quebec Values. The incoming Quebec government wants to keep a crucifix over the speaker's chair in the National Assembly while of course preventing public servants from expressing themselves, Ontario defends the separate school system even though it discriminates on the basis of religion and violates an international covenant to which Canada is a signatory member-state. I don't believe that Canadians have any clear agreement on what precisely our values are.

The basis of Canadian values are parliamentary democracy, common law, French Civil Law (in Quebec), and Judeo-Christian principles (the Ten Commandments and respect/Golden Rule minus the "no other gods before me" and matters of private morality such as adultery, coveting, etc., as there is a basic separation between church and state).  There's also a component of aboriginal spirituality reflected in these traditions, which varies but includes respect for land and all life (spirit is in all), equality (the circle), and freedom to live according to native traditions.  There's also the notion of "the just society", which is equity and rule of law (emphasizing the spirit over the letter of the law), protected rights and freedoms (the Charter), free expression, protection of property, appreciation of multiple cultures (multiculturalism), and deference to English and French as official languages.  To some extent our safety net is counted in these values, including free child education, the CPP, and universal health care (The Canada Health Act).  While I don't think we need many hard and fast rules about what constitutes unreasonable accommodations of cultural practices that diverge from these values, which are open to interpretation and revised over time, I think that anyone who poses a threat to our physical safety, democratic freedoms and constitutional protections should NOT be allowed to immigrate to Canada.  In addition, any foreign power that poses a threat to such rights and freedoms must be called out.  We must have the capacity to defend ourselves against threats.  That's why Canada needs a stronger military, more like the one of half a century ago.  

9 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

The basis of Canadian values are parliamentary democracy, common law, French Civil Law (in Quebec), and Judeo-Christian principles (the Ten Commandments and respect/Golden Rule minus the "no other gods before me" and matters of private morality such as adultery, coveting, etc., as there is a basic separation between church and state).  There's also a component of aboriginal spirituality reflected in these traditions, which varies but includes respect for land and all life (spirit is in all), equality (the circle), and freedom to live according to native traditions.  There's also the notion of "the just society", which is equity and rule of law (emphasizing the spirit over the letter of the law), protected rights and freedoms (the Charter), free expression, protection of property, appreciation of multiple cultures (multiculturalism), and deference to English and French as official languages.  To some extent our safety net is counted in these values, including free child education, the CPP, and universal health care (The Canada Health Act).  While I don't think we need many hard and fast rules about what constitutes unreasonable accommodations of cultural practices that diverge from these values, which are open to interpretation and revised over time, I think that anyone who poses a threat to our physical safety, democratic freedoms and constitutional protections should NOT be allowed to immigrate to Canada.  In addition, any foreign power that poses a threat to such rights and freedoms must be called out.  We must have the capacity to defend ourselves against threats.  That's why Canada needs a stronger military, more like the one of half a century ago.  

I disagree with a few of the above mentioned to varying degrees, either fundamentally or in the specifics, yet I was born and raised in Canada and even work in both official languages. I even attended Catholic separate school as a child. Can't get much more 'Canadian' than that.

Ironically, my work in the language industry has actually made me even more opposed to official bilingualism than before I'd entered the workforce after I'd completed school. Romeo Saganash has slammed official bilingualism on a few occasions himself, and I remember a Catholic once speaking out against the separate school system as discriminatory. I think Canadians are changing and this is shaking the ideological foundation of 'two founding races' on which Canada was built.

36 minutes ago, Machjo said:

I disagree with a few of the above mentioned to varying degrees, either fundamentally or in the specifics, yet I was born and raised in Canada and even work in both official languages. I even attended Catholic separate school as a child. Can't get much more 'Canadian' than that.

Ironically, my work in the language industry has actually made me even more opposed to official bilingualism than before I'd entered the workforce after I'd completed school. Romeo Saganash has slammed official bilingualism on a few occasions himself, and I remember a Catholic once speaking out against the separate school system as discriminatory. I think Canadians are changing and this is shaking the ideological foundation of 'two founding races' on which Canada was built.

I think you missed my points though.  I'm saying that essentially the religious and ideological cultural basis of our society is changing, which is fine, whether Catholic, French or anything else.  Nevertheless, this is Canada where such rights and protections will live, in perpetuity.  That's the security of Canada.  The fundamentals won't be compromised, ever.