Everyone's a Victim

Argus

Well, except for straight white men, of course. They're the oppressors. I see Blacks are rioting again in St. Louis because a judge, after examining the evidence, has concluded that a white cop that shot a black drug dealer did not commit murder. This goes against the narrative created on social media by the outraged black victims groups,  of which there are now a myriad. That poor heroin dealer, racing away from police and ramming police cars to get away is a victim of evil white men!

Halifax has caved to a shrill group of whiny aboriginal 'victim's' and their progressive fellow travelers in shrouding a statue of its own founder. The premier of Nova Scotia demands the statue itself be removed, while the nearby town of Kent has removed his name on their bridge. His crime, apparently, was fighting back against savage Mc'maq attacks on white people. Damn white people! In fact, a huge and burgeoning native victims industry exists, dedicated to ensuring all white people apologize repeatedly for everything bad that ever happened to natives, admit nothing was natives' faults, and pay huge sums to make things up to them.

In BC, some woman is suing UBC for not expelling a man she accused of sexually assaulting her, which caused her such anguish and stress that she says they've discriminated against her due to 'mental disability', ie, the anguish and stress. She reported it to the police, who declined to lay charges, citing a lack of evidence. Evidence apparently, should not be considered necessary for a university to take action against any man a woman claims was cruel to her. She's so anguished she keeps showing up in major newspapers, posing dramatically, always looking very victimy. All women on campus are a victim of rape culture, you know, or so the womens victim industry would have it.

Meanwhile, academics wring their hands about the lack of women getting STEM professorships. Since women are obviously victims, this must be due to male sexism,  even though most women don't seem much interested in taking STEM courses at all.

Meanwhile our harping media people are wailing about the rise in 'hate attacks' on Muslims, despite the numbers being miniscule, and have already dubbed all Muslims, like all minorities, victims of evil white hatred and discrimination. They're the newest victim group adopted by progressives, those that aren't busy desperately trying to build support for a law executing anyone who refuses to use a self-declared trans-gendered person's chosen identity pronoun. 

Everyone's a victim. And to them, I dedicate this song.

I turn on the tube and what do I see
A whole lotta people cryin' "Don't blame me"
They point their crooked little fingers at everybody else
Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves
Victim of this, victim of that
Your momma's too thin; your daddy's too fat
Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it
You say you haven't been the same since you had your little crash
But you might feel better if they gave you some cash
The more I think about it, Old Billy was right
Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight
You don't want to work; you want to live like a king
But the big, bad world doesn't owe you a thing
Get over it
Get over it
If you don't want to play, then you might as well split
Get over it, get over it
It's like going to confession every time I hear you speak
You're makin' the most of your losin' streak
Some call it sick, but I call it weak
You drag it around like a ball and chain
You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain
You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown
Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down
Complain about the present and blame it on the past
I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass
Get over it
Get over it
All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it

The Eagles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bcsapper said:

Made the news though...

But they're not dealing with the many issues they face, such as students marching on campus saying things that offend them, and black people getting mad at being shot !

Who is going to think about the straight white men ?

Snowflakes are offended by opinions they don't agree with - in this case black people, aboriginal people not liking things.  There's also people who complain about 'hate attacks' as mentioned in the OP but that's apparently not valid.

20 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

But they're not dealing with the many issues they face, such as students marching on campus saying things that offend them, and black people getting mad at being shot !

Who is going to think about the straight white men ?

Snowflakes are offended by opinions they don't agree with - in this case black people, aboriginal people not liking things.  There's also people who complain about 'hate attacks' as mentioned in the OP but that's apparently not valid.

Snowflakes are not those who are offended by opinions they don't agree with.  Snowflakes are those who seek to suppress the opinions they don't agree with.  Anybody can be offended.

2 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Snowflakes are not those who are offended by opinions they don't agree with.  Snowflakes are those who seek to suppress the opinions they don't agree with.  Anybody can be offended.

Well that's a new one on me.  If we're talking about semantics, most people equate snowflakes and being easily offended, including:

Scriblett's status update from Sept 8 says it:

"SNOWFLAKE ALERT: UC  Berkeley is offering 'Support And Counseling' For Students Offended By Shapiro's Speech .  Poor babies, UC not a university anymore, it's a baby sitting service."

taxme - June 22nd:
"
I am notoffended at all. I ain't nosnowflake "

"It would appear as though the sensibilities of thesnowflake main scream liberal media were hurt andoffended. "

BC - June 22nd:
"..just like theoffendedsnowflakes."

Impact, Feb 3rd:
"only
snowflakes would beoffended by it. "

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well that's a new one on me.  If we're talking about semantics, most people equate snowflakes and being easily offended, including:

Scriblett's status update from Sept 8 says it:

"SNOWFLAKE ALERT: UC  Berkeley is offering 'Support And Counseling' For Students Offended By Shapiro's Speech .  Poor babies, UC not a university anymore, it's a baby sitting service."

taxme - June 22nd:
"
I am notoffended at all. I ain't nosnowflake "

"It would appear as though the sensibilities of thesnowflake main scream liberal media were hurt andoffended. "

BC - June 22nd:
"..just like theoffendedsnowflakes."

Impact, Feb 3rd:
"only
snowflakes would beoffended by it. "

Aren't they all usually associated with someone not being allowed to speak, or an attempt to stop someone from speaking, or an attempt to change a name, remove a statue, etc.?

Why would simple offense even make the news?

I grant you the counselling is ridiculous enough to make the news.

Edited by bcsapper

39 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

'Associated with' ?  By whom ?  Maybe ?  But when people say 'snowflake' it means easily offended.

Simple offense makes the news because conflict gets attention.

Okay. Maybe I was wrong.  I've always been under the impression one is actively a snowflake.

Edited by bcsapper

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

If Black people are mad at getting shot, might I suggest a radical new approach? Obey the law. And the only people who are upset at people marching on campus and saying things that offend them are progressives.

I don't care what anyone says. I'm not commenting on being offended. I'm commenting on a victim mentality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Obey the law.

That's kind of beside the point.  If innocent people are also being shot then maybe following the law won't help the getting shot part.  And it seems weird to complain about protests about police shootings while saying nothing about protests about taking down statues.

One of these things is more important, and more offensive.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

And the only people who are upset at people marching on campus and saying things that offend them are progressives.

Are people who drive cars over people upset or no ?

1 hour ago, Argus said:

I'm not commenting on being offended.

Are you commenting because you're offended ?

1 hour ago, Argus said:

If Black people are mad at getting shot, might I suggest a radical new approach? Obey the law.

"Black people" are far more likely to be shot by other "Black people" not obeying the law.

So where are the protests ?    Are victims that selective ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

That's kind of beside the point.  If innocent people are also being shot

That's not the case. Of all the notorious cases which have made the headlines over the past few years I can think of  only one that was not a criminal resisting arrest, and that was some fool who told the cop he had a gun, and then reached for something - probably his drivers licence, but hey.

But accidents do happen. To people of all races. There's nothing special about Black people other than they have a higher propensity to be involved in crime and thus interaction with police.

And it seems weird to complain about protests about police shootings while saying nothing about protests about taking down statues.

I didn't complain about protests. I complained about riots. The protest about the statue would have been peaceful, like many others before it, were it not for the incompetence of the police.

Are people who drive cars over people upset or no ?

That seems to be your go-to answer on every subject these days. What's it got to do with anything under discussion in this thread?

Edited by Argus

13 minutes ago, Argus said:

What's it got to do with anything under discussion in this thread?

Snowflakes are everywhere.  It's part of life.  If you don't like the message don't listen.  The people who complain about political correctness won the presidency, so it's not like they're losing, or way behind in some race for privilege.  We hear about whining so much these days, but the downtrodden are still trod on, or sometimes tread on.

The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blessed:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
'Tis mightiest in the mightiest. It becomes
The thronèd monarch better than his crown.
His scepter shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings,
But mercy is above this sceptered sway.
It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings.
It is an attribute to God himself.

http://nfs.sparknotes.com/merchant/page_176.html

Just now, Michael Hardner said:

Snowflakes are everywhere.  It's part of life.  If you don't like the message don't listen.  The people who complain about political correctness won the presidency, so it's not like they're losing, or way behind in some race for privilege.  We hear about whining so much these days, but the downtrodden are still trod on, or sometimes tread on.

http://nfs.sparknotes.com/merchant/page_176.html

Are you off your meds? What the hell has any of this got to do with a victim mentality?

6 hours ago, Argus said:

Well, except for straight white men, of course. They're the oppressors. I see Blacks are rioting again in St. Louis because a judge, after examining the evidence, has concluded that a white cop that shot a black drug dealer did not commit murder. This goes against the narrative created on social media by the outraged black victims groups,  of which there are now a myriad. That poor heroin dealer, racing away from police and ramming police cars to get away is a victim of evil white men!

Halifax has caved to a shrill group of whiny aboriginal 'victim's' and their progressive fellow travelers in shrouding a statue of its own founder. The premier of Nova Scotia demands the statue itself be removed, while the nearby town of Kent has removed his name on their bridge. His crime, apparently, was fighting back against savage Mc'maq attacks on white people. Damn white people! In fact, a huge and burgeoning native victims industry exists, dedicated to ensuring all white people apologize repeatedly for everything bad that ever happened to natives, admit nothing was natives' faults, and pay huge sums to make things up to them.

In BC, some woman is suing UBC for not expelling a man she accused of sexually assaulting her, which caused her such anguish and stress that she says they've discriminated against her due to 'mental disability', ie, the anguish and stress. She reported it to the police, who declined to lay charges, citing a lack of evidence. Evidence apparently, should not be considered necessary for a university to take action against any man a woman claims was cruel to her. She's so anguished she keeps showing up in major newspapers, posing dramatically, always looking very victimy. All women on campus are a victim of rape culture, you know, or so the womens victim industry would have it.

Meanwhile, academics wring their hands about the lack of women getting STEM professorships. Since women are obviously victims, this must be due to male sexism,  even though most women don't seem much interested in taking STEM courses at all.

Meanwhile our harping media people are wailing about the rise in 'hate attacks' on Muslims, despite the numbers being miniscule, and have already dubbed all Muslims, like all minorities, victims of evil white hatred and discrimination. They're the newest victim group adopted by progressives, those that aren't busy desperately trying to build support for a law executing anyone who refuses to use a self-declared trans-gendered person's chosen identity pronoun. 

Everyone's a victim. And to them, I dedicate this song.

I turn on the tube and what do I see
A whole lotta people cryin' "Don't blame me"
They point their crooked little fingers at everybody else
Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves
Victim of this, victim of that
Your momma's too thin; your daddy's too fat
Get over it
Get over it
All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it
You say you haven't been the same since you had your little crash
But you might feel better if they gave you some cash
The more I think about it, Old Billy was right
Let's kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight
You don't want to work; you want to live like a king
But the big, bad world doesn't owe you a thing
Get over it
Get over it
If you don't want to play, then you might as well split
Get over it, get over it
It's like going to confession every time I hear you speak
You're makin' the most of your losin' streak
Some call it sick, but I call it weak
You drag it around like a ball and chain
You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain
You wave it like a flag, you wear it like a crown
Got your mind in the gutter, bringin' everybody down
Complain about the present and blame it on the past
I'd like to find your inner child and kick its little ass
Get over it
Get over it
All this bitchin' and moanin' and pitchin' a fit
Get over it, get over it

The Eagles

There does seem to be a new kind of cult of victimhood developed over the past while. I think it's a conservative thing, comes from a feeling of helplessness. One of the differences between liberals and conservatives is liberals, when they see something they don't like or disagree with, will take whatever action seems most likely to change it where conservatives will complain that it's happening. Liberals, simply put, do, and conservatives complain about what liberals do. If there's nothing specific to complain about, conservatives complain that liberals control the news media or they control the entertainment industry or they control the universities. This victimstance is common to groups who are unable to take action to improve their lot in life- they create a powerful, behind-the-scenes entity that's wielding a puppeteers control. Freemasons, Jews, liberals, whatever. It's not a new phenomenon, it just has a new, conservative face.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grand Mal said:

There does seem to be a new kind of cult of victimhood developed over the past while. I think it's a conservative thing, comes from a feeling of helplessness. One of the differences between liberals and conservatives is liberals, when they see something they don't like or disagree with, will take whatever action seems most likely to change it where conservatives will complain that it's happening. Liberals, simply put, do, and conservatives complain about what liberals do. If there's nothing specific to complain about, conservatives complain that liberals control the news media or they control the entertainment industry or they control the universities. This victimstance is common to groups who are unable to take action to improve their lot in life- they create a powerful, behind-the-scenes entity that's wielding a puppeteers control. Freemasons, Jews, liberals, whatever. It's not a new phenomenon, it just has a new, conservative face.

Sure, conservatives complain about the "liberal media", "political correctness", "immigrants stealing jobs", etc. On the other side of the coin, liberals complain about "institutional racism", "patriarchy", "rape culture", "white privilege", etc. As for Jews and Freemasons "pulling the strings" and various other conspiracy theories... these are commonly found beliefs among the far right fringe as well as the far left fringe. 

I don't think your suggested difference between liberals and conservatives exists. People are mainly liberals or conservatives just based on the beliefs of the people around them. People who grow up in conservative areas with conservative parents typically turn out conservative, and people who grow up in liberal areas with liberal parents tend to turn out liberal. Same is true for religion, and the beliefs associated with party-line liberalism or conservatism are not really any more well-supported or reasonable or self-consistent than religious beliefs. Not surprising. When it comes to complaining vs doing, the difference is not conservatives vs liberals, rather its complainers vs doers. You will find many people with significant achievements to their name among both liberals and conservatives, and likewise you will find many people who do nothing but rant and complain among both liberals and conservatives. 

7 hours ago, eyeball said:

A lot of people also appear to be under the impression that only a lefty can be a snowflake and that all lefties are snowflakes. Is that really true?

Not based on the posts here.  People are always flipping out because of protests or campus politics, or some immigration comment that has basically no effect on them.   

Then the tendency is to tie extreme views to 'the left' or 'the right'.  It's hyperbolic to tie every ridiculous comment made on campus to the Democrats, as it is to tie every racist attack to the Republicans.  But in a culture war, that's part of the war of words I suppose.

9 hours ago, eyeball said:

A lot of people also appear to be under the impression that only a lefty can be a snowflake and that all lefties are snowflakes. Is that really true?

Neither are true.  I guess snowflakes have levels.  To my mind, anyone who seeks to suppress a legally held opinion because it offends them is a snowflake.  People who need counselling because they can't are the biggest, though.

Of course, nothing illegal occurs when an organisation caves to public opinion, so snowflakery doesn't necessarily include illegality.

It's more complicated than I thought, obviously...

Edited by bcsapper

16 hours ago, Grand Mal said:

There does seem to be a new kind of cult of victimhood developed over the past while. I think it's a conservative thing, comes from a feeling of helplessness. One of the differences between liberals and conservatives is liberals, when they see something they don't like or disagree with, will take whatever action seems most likely to change it where conservatives will complain that it's happening. Liberals, simply put, do, and conservatives complain about what liberals do.

It might, perhaps, have escaped your notice, but the conservatives are not in power right now. It's a bit odd you complaining they aren't taking action when they're not in power. Do you propose armed insurrection? Liberals do? Well the Liberals have been in power now for some time. Can you provide a brief list of the things they have done? I know it will be brief,  because like the Trump administration, they can't seem to get anything done at all. Not anything of real importance, anyway. Oh, please do let me know what they're doing about health care, aborigines and the legal system because as far as I know they're completely confused about them all.

Edited by Argus
  • Thanks 1

Not based on the posts here.  People are always flipping out because of protests or campus politics, or some immigration comment that has basically no effect on them.   

Cites please. If it's always happening you should be able to find them fairly easily.

35 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Neither are true.  I guess snowflakes have levels.  To my mind, anyone who seeks to suppress a legally held opinion because it offends them is a snowflake.  People who need counselling because they can't are the biggest, though.

What I don't get is when person A expresses an opinion, person B disagrees and person A says "You are trying to shut me down!  How dare you, you snowflake!".   Which is what I see happening a lot.

I do think universities, especially, should not cancel controversial events - boycotting by those who disagree, or even polite and non-violent rallying is fine by me, should be allowed.   

Although, I do recall that guy who was going to present on how to 'get' women by appearing genuine; I thought it was ok to shut that down because it seemed misogynistic to assume that a man had a right to pretty much any women he wanted and that it was acceptable to game her to achieve his goals.   Seems the presenter promoted some use of force, as well as charm and money, in his techniques.

Edited by dialamah
typo