One year ago today.....

One year ago today was The Beast.  I didn't expect it to hit me like it is.  My house is still not re-built and I still miss Whiskey every day.  I can't think of him being trapped in the fire and not cry.

I'm one of the 25% of Fort Mac people who will not be returning.  I found a job elsewhere and am settled here now.

There's hardly a day that goes by that I don't need something and then remember I lost it in the fire.  One of the items I miss the most and regret losing was a beautiful flamenco shawl that a freind brought back from Spain for me.

The Beast kicked my a$$, but here I am! 

before fire.JPG

after fire.JPG

backyard after.jpg

basement after.jpg

whiskey.jpeg

• Like 3

I didn't have to evacuate, I was out of town at the time.  So I don't have that trauma.

A lot of my freinds up there have pictures of moose - sometimes 3 or 4 of them - coming into the town and nibbling on their landscaping the last few weeks.  I think it's becasue there's so much devastation in the forest still, they are coming in for food.  A few years ago we had a very late spring and the bears were a problem in town.  I'm thinking they may start making their way into town again this year.

This fire was just so devastating for everything in the region.

Edited by Goddess
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Sad to hear about your dog.

Thank you.

The evacuation went from voluntary to mandatory within 10 mins for our area.  There was no time to get home, and the police were stopping everybody from going into the area, they were trying to get everyone out.  So my EX could not reach him.

He got some ashes from the house for me to bury, but they didn't actually find any remains.  Some people found their pet's remains, but the fire was intense in our area.

Edited by Goddess