Having a "like?"

betsy

"Like" - can we have that feature?

Sometimes you see  posts that you want to acknowledge (for whatever reasons)...."like" click-button would be nice.  It doesn't have to be shown on the post itself, but in the person's profile (indicating who gave the like, and for which posts).

Edited by betsy

3 hours ago, cybercoma said:

Why? So you and your peers can brigade here like you do on Facebook?

I'm not really active on facebook.  

Some forums have it, and it has some benefits.  Like, I didn't know someone was interested in a thread I created since no one's been giving any feedback........until I saw the likes.

Edited by betsy

I think a "like" feature would be nice. Or an upvote/downvote. It's a simple method of showing you agree/disagree with a certain post. A lot of times I see a post I enjoy or agree with and would love a way to show some extra recognition to that post besides just quoting it and saying "I agree" or "good post". 

• Downvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2017 at 5:54 AM, betsy said:

"Like" - can we have that feature?

LOL. You were the one who asked? Did you really think tons of people wouldn't downvote your posts? I notice that already, everyone who is on the right side of the political spectrum who has any votes is in the red, and those on the Left side are all in the green. :rolleyes:

Edited by Argus

4 minutes ago, Argus said:

LOL. You were the one who asked? Did you really think tons of people wouldn't downvote your posts? I notice that already, everyone who is on the right side of the political spectrum who has any votes is in the red, and those on the Left side are all in the green. :rolleyes:

I know. :lol:   

I didn't make a request for the community rating though - I think that will have a negative effect on the forum. Conservative Newbies could get stymied, and this forum will get the reputation of being leftist.

The other forum that I go to has "likes."  But it has so many active posters, and there's balanced representation for the right and left.  I think that's the big difference here.  That other forum doesn't have a reputation rating.

Having said the plus points for having a like feature, it is very important that the identity of the person giving a like to a post, be not hidden.  It should be automatically shown at the bottom of the post.

Giving a like to a post carries with it a certain amount of responsibility.  If you'd given a like to a post, you're saying you agree with what's been stated.

It's not uncommon to lump poster of a particular post with all those who'd given likes to it.  People who share views usually root for, and encourage each other, and they show it through giving likes.  Beware of that.  If the post has been refuted soundly, and is shown to be based on ignorance - that reflects  too, on all those who'd given likes to that post!

Edited by betsy

On 2017-01-10 at 3:52 AM, cybercoma said:

Why? So you and your peers can brigade here like you do on Facebook?

Exactly.   It's a ridiculous "feature".  another reason to spend less time here.  Let it become the rightwing/whacko echo chamber it deserves to be. 

Edited by The_Squid
  • Downvote 1