New Forum Software: Good/Bad/No Change

August1991

New Software Good/Bad?  

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is the new forum software better than before? Worse? Does it have no effect on your desire to post/respond?

Does it encourage intelligent/wise posts? Or, does the current forum software make it easier to post nonsense?

Does forum software matter?

Edited by August1991

Honestly?  I can't even remember the old software.  That being said, I can't remember a moment when I thought "this is better", so I suppose it is not.  I don't have a problem with it anymore, though, now I've sorted out what I want it to do.  I still have the occasional hiccup using quotes.

And I have a strange feeling I'm missing stuff, that I wouldn't have on the earlier site.  But I don't know that.

Quoting is more glitchy and annoying now. It has nice features for quoting that are cool when they work, but it also has a lot more problems. The most annoying problems with quoting are:

1) If you quote something and then trim the contents of the quote box, then sometimes it is no longer possible to click outside the quote box in order to type a response. This is super annoying because there's no way to fix it besides deleting your quote box, deleting your reply, and starting over. 

2) If you quote something and then decide not to bother replying and exit that thread, the next time you come back to it that same quote will show up again and you have to manually delete it. I'd prefer if you leave a thread or close your browser and then come back to it later that it cleared its memory of your previous quotes or responses.

3) You can't get rid of quote boxes with backspace or the delete key and have to ctrl-right click and go through a menu to do so. This is way more annoying if you want to quickly edit something. 

4) Sometimes if you click somewhere in a thread it will randomly quote a portion of that post and move your screen down to the reply box. This is a result of when you highlight text in the thread, a little "quote this" banner appears that you can click on, but it's very easy to accidentally click for a moment too long and the site will misinterpret that click as a click + drag + click. The "quote this" banner should be moved further away (to be a fixed position button at the bottom of the page or something) rather than centering over the highlighted text. 

Edited by Bonam

6 hours ago, August1991 said:

Is the new forum software better than before? Worse? Does it have no effect on your desire to post/respond?

Does it encourage intelligent/wise posts? Or, does the current forum software make it easier to post nonsense?

Does forum software matter?

1) I dont even remember the previous software. It looks nice to me and has no negative effects on my desire to post.

2) I think that to be encouraged to post intelligence/wise posts is much more related with other's posters intelligence level than forum software.

3) Yes its matter because visual and usable advantages always attracts people and its at a sufficient level within the current software. (except soo small avatars and quote fails)

Edited by Altai

A few things.

A thread will often save a post I've quoted before when I try to reply again, and it's hard to delete the quote feature unless I go back to delete it once I've posted. This glitch makes using the site on mobile very unpleasant. I gave up trying to post in that Native Ceremony in a Public School thread on my phone because every time I'd try to reply it would automatically attach a quote from a previous BC_Chick quote I used. 

When I go to unread content and find a thread I want to review it'll always go to page one, even if I've been active in that thread since the beginning of it. In the past, I believe, it remember what page was the last time I was active. That's super annoying. 

OH! and bring back Status Updates please. 

• Forum Admin

This topic has outlived it's usefulness.

I will do my best to incorporate everyone's suggestions and I have a few other ideas on how to improve things.

However, If you don't like the forum software, go somewhere else.

• Greg locked this topic