Health care wait times at 20 year high in Canada

Argus

1 hour ago, ?Impact said:

Are you suggesting a health care system that prioritizes based on tax contribution instead of need like our current one?

I am  suggesting a health care system that put Canadians first (those who contributed to the system). Our health care system is NOT there to take care of the world!!!!!!!!.

And YES I also supportive of a PRIVATE health care system in combination to what we have, so that those who can pay (pay for care instead f flying to US for better care) and the rest who can't pay get an improved care because of decreased strain on our system.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

18 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Are you suggesting a health care system that prioritizes based on tax contribution instead of need like our current one?

You do have to wait 90 days until you can claim or use Provincial health care New Brunswick. After i released from the military i had to wait a full 90 days then could apply, which took another 90 days to be approved, and for them to send me a card....That's after paying federal and provincial taxes all along....That being said Canada is a very popular health care tourism spot.

2 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

You do have to wait 90 days until you can claim or use Provincial health care New Brunswick. After i released from the military i had to wait a full 90 days then could apply, which took another 90 days to be approved, and for them to send me a card....That's after paying federal and provincial taxes all along....That being said Canada is a very popular health care tourism spot.

Were you stationed in Gagetown before your release, or were you in another province? Anyone who moves between provinces in Canada has the same 90-day wait in their new province. I haven't seen a complete breakdown, but I know several provinces will allow you to use your provincial insurance from another province and they will direct bill. The same applies to Canadians who are living abroad, when I returned I needed to find insurance (Blue cross) to cover the 90-day wait even though I had lived in Ontario before and was returning there. In fact I owned property in the province and was paying taxes on it. While I never let my provincial drivers license expire, the private insurance companies still wanted a record from my overseas insurer to cover the period I was away.

Immigrants are in the same boat with the 90-day wait period. Refugees can access the Interim Federal Health Program until they are eligible for provincial health insurance.

4 hours ago, ?Impact said:

Were you stationed in Gagetown before your release, or were you in another province? Anyone who moves between provinces in Canada has the same 90-day wait in their new province. I haven't seen a complete breakdown, but I know several provinces will allow you to use your provincial insurance from another province and they will direct bill. The same applies to Canadians who are living abroad, when I returned I needed to find insurance (Blue cross) to cover the 90-day wait even though I had lived in Ontario before and was returning there. In fact I owned property in the province and was paying taxes on it. While I never let my provincial drivers license expire, the private insurance companies still wanted a record from my overseas insurer to cover the period I was away.

Immigrants are in the same boat with the 90-day wait period. Refugees can access the Interim Federal Health Program until they are eligible for provincial health insurance.

I was posted to NB in 2009, i released in 2014, during this time i paid NB taxes, all the taxes everyone has to pay, provincial taxes, land, license, plates and tags, veh inspections, the whole nine yards. when i was released i was from the military i was treated like i just jumped off a banana boat....was told i would have to wait 90 days before i could use NB provincial health care system...after my 90 day wait ..., i could then start the process , which would take 90 days.until i got my card....As for a family doctor forget that....i've been on the waiting list for over 2 years now, i checked back with them and they told me i had at least another year to wait....even though i am a diabetic which they say puts me on the fast track......

The Military health care system had ensured that i had a full 180 days supply of all my meds, and i was told if i still did not have NB health card i could come back on a weekly basis....just for meds.....if there was a medical emergency i was on my own as for the payment , they could refuse to treat me .......payment was to be covered under my medical insurance.... 

Edited by Army Guy

• 4 months later...

Another year, another study showing Canada's health care system lags those of other modern industrial democracies. We spend more than countries like the UK, New Zealand and Australia, but we don't get nearly as much as they do.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canada-ranks-third-last-in-study-of-health-care-in-11-rich-countries/article35692286/

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2016 at 7:45 AM, Argus said:

The Fraser Institute has come out with a study of wait times across Canada, and the results aren't good. Yet health care wait times are not even a part of political argument in this country, because none of the parties have the courage to address the real issue, which is the failed funding formula which requires almost all major health care services to be funded by government. No one wants to examine the European model except the Conservatives, and they've been too afraid to bring it up for fear of being accused of wanting a 'two tier' health care system. Yet European countries generally have better health care outcomes and shorter wait times than Canada for the same or less money.

And if the wait times are bad now, well, just wait (no pun intended) for the aging boomers to put more strain on the already overloaded system. Meanwhile, the Liberals are busy bringing in elderly immigrants to take their place in lineups for health care services.

“This year is the longest [median] wait that we’ve ever measured between general practitioner [and] getting treatment. That’s quite remarkable,” said Bacchus Barua, the think tank’s senior economist for health-care studies. “It’s a clear indication of the trajectory we’ve been following over the last 20 or 25 years.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/wait-times-for-medical-procedures-at-20-year-high-in-canada-study/article33001028/

Personally, I think that it has to do with all the legal and illegal so-called refugees that are being brought here by the hundreds of thousands every year where we are having more people seeking medical assistance and not having enough doctors to take care of us all. That makes dam well more common sense and logic to me rather than just saying that is the way things are happening these days. Massive immigration is the problem, not the solution. If it were the solution then why the problem with health care. It is time for all you pro more immigration to wake up to this nonsense that Canada needs more immigrants. We need less. 

On 7/15/2017 at 7:43 AM, Argus said:

Another year, another study showing Canada's health care system lags those of other modern industrial democracies. We spend more than countries like the UK, New Zealand and Australia, but we don't get nearly as much as they do.

That makes good sense to me! You need to look at the big picture. Key indicators like life expectancy and infant mortality rates, and key causative factors like age.

For example...

1. The median age of Canadians is 42, but in New Zealand its 37! (We have an older population than the UK and Australia as well.)

2. In New Zealand 5.7 children per 1000 die before the age of 5. In Canada only 4.9.

3. The life expectancy in Canada is a full year longer than the life expectancy in New Zealand.

The reality is a person in New Zealand is flat our more likely to die of sickness or illness than a person in Canada. And OF COURSE healthcare dollars are going to go further in a country where people on average are 5 years younger. Never mind the fact that a GP in Canada makes about 75k more than a GP in New Zealand due to our proximity to the UPG (Universal Price Gouging) system in the US which drives up costs here.

Is their system really better? Are wait times a more important factor than a population actually being healthy and living long? Or is all this maybe a bunch of "Fraser Institute styled" cherry-picking of data and myopically focusing on hot button issues with the goal of privatizing healthcare? I wonder....

Any analysis that does not consider these things is not worth the paper its printed on or the bandwidth used to post it on the internet.

None of this excuses wait times, and we should do what we can to alleviate them, but the reality is no matter what kind of system we have our population is getting older, and by extension of that sicker as well.

Edited by dre
  • Like 1