The Province Of Vermont

This story was started as a bit of a spoof but it gathering legs. What about including Washington, Oregon, Alaska and Hawaii as well? Let's welcome these people with open arms, eh! :D

VermontCanada.org

Vermont dwellers pushing to join Canada

Aminzade recently wrote a letter to the editor of the Burlington Free Press in which he said Canadians, like Vermonters, have always believed in tolerance and progressivism and are troubled by the re-election of Bush, the war in Iraq, the growing power of big corporations and right-wing extremists.

"Canada has a foreign policy that would make Vermonters proud," Aminzade wrote. "It stayed out of Iraq, and it supports treaties that Vermonters support."

There are other reasons as well. Canada has had universal health care since 1957 and citizens can choose their doctors and hospitals. Canada abolished the death penalty in 1976 and homicides, at one-third the rate of those in the United States, are declining.

Canada recognizes the rights of gays and lesbians to marry. Vermont was the first state in the United States to allow civil unions for gay couples.

eureka....is Vermont the province, sorry state, that bans billboards on their highways?
Yes, it is. It has been their policy for over 20 years. Not only does it make driving there pleasant but the existing signs are more informative. The State puts up small signs indicating any nearby business. This kind of information is useful. I recall spending an afternoon in a used book store in small town Vermont because I saw such a sign.

We often feel that we in BC get the short end of the stick from the feds but I don't think anyone seriously wants us to leave Canada. Nor do we want any of our ppresent provinces to leave despite those who would rather pack it in and go on their own. We need the full country to get their act togather and work as one unit to make any mark on the world or to improve our trading relations with others,

• 4 weeks later...
:lol: Jesusland? why doesnt the united states of canada get delaware?

Actually, I find the concept of the United States of Canada rather arrogant and ignorant of those Americans who are against the current neo-con administration. Last time I looked, we were a Dominion with Provinces, not a Republic with States.

Personnally I feel that if a US State such as Vermont wishes to suceed from the Union and join Canada, fair enough....but it and its people had better be ready to adopt Canadian political traditions such as a Parliment and as a Province. If they can't leave their US baggage behind them, then they may as well stay with the Union.

As it is, I strongly doubt that any US state will leave the union, no matter how repeliant Bush & Co are.

I think there was one wanting to join Canada a while back.  How about Cuba; I hear that it is a great place to vacation in.

It was the Turks and Caicos Islands.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/stor...079293949072_14

According to CNN, Canada leads the list in regards to the number of tourists that visit Cuba each year.

Fidel may do it too, just to stick it to the Americans. ;)

• 3 weeks later...